| Welcome to Answering The Extremists. We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you will only be able to view topics. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Once you've registered, login and post in the INTRODUCE YOURSELF section and a Moderator will upgrade your account to allow you to post in other sections also. CLICK HERE To Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Accused extremists face court over affray; all believed to be members of the far-right English Defence League | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Mar 14 2011, 02:13 PM (176 Views) | |
| UK_Muslim | Mar 14 2011, 02:13 PM Post #1 |
![]()
Administrator
|
Accused extremists face court over affray [click red text for link] by Joanne Butcher, Evening Chronicle Mar 11 2011 TEN suspected right-wing extremists have appeared in court charged with violence. The men, from across Tyneside, are accused of attacking doormen at the Tyneside Irish Centre during a rival political meeting. The alleged attack is said to have happened on September 22 last year, when the left-wing Socialist Workers’ Party were meeting at the centre on Gallowgate, Newcastle city centre. The SWP had called the meeting to discuss ways to counter far-right groups. Rebecca Gibson, prosecuting, told Newcastle Magistrates Court that the 10 men, all believed to be members of the far-right English Defence League, allegedly gathered in nearby Rosie’s Bar. She claimed they then descended on the Irish Centre, hurling abuse and attacking the doormen. Yesterday, Anthony Burn, 47, of Lecondale Court, Leam Lane, Gateshead; Colin Burton, 27, of Wouldhave Court, South Shields; Peter Duffy, 43, of Elgin Avenue, Seaham, Durham; Michael Garriock, 22, of Gibson Street, Wallsend; Barry Keddy, 33, of Deneholm, Wallsend; Nicholas Mills, 24, of Drumaldrace, Washington; Alan Spence, 45, of Gerald Street, Benwell, Newcastle; Steven Spence, 26, of Whickham View, Benwell; and Paul Starr, 44, of Telford Street, East Howdon, all faced charges of affray and unlawful violence. Dressed in EDL tops, sportswear and quilted jackets, with several sporting closely-shaven heads, the nine spoke only to confirm their names and addresses. Duffy and Mills denied the offences, but the rest withheld their pleas. The tenth accused, Colin Bell, 35, of St Oswald’s Road, Hebburn, had already denied the same charge when he appeared in court last week. District Judge Stephen Earl said the case was too serious for the magistrates court and ordered it to be heard by judges at the crown court. More than 20 supporters, many wearing St George’s flag hoodies, T-shirts and caps, packed out the courtroom for the brief hearing. Outside the court, surrounded heavily by police, some handed out pamphlets but did not mount an organised protest. All 10 men will return to the magistrates court next month for committal. The incident followed the Chronicle’s revelation that extremists in Gateshead had torched a copy of the Koran on September 11. The video, posted on YouTube, caused international fury. |
|
And do not argue with the People of the Scripture except in a way that is best, except for those who commit injustice among them, and say, "We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you. And our God and your God is one; and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him." Surat Al-`Ankabūt [29:46] Follow me on Twitter | |
|
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · Who Are The EDL · Next Topic » |
| Theme: Zeta Original | Track Topic · E-mail Topic |
1:42 AM Jul 11
|



1:42 AM Jul 11