Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Building myself a 3B; "Stock" rebuild
Topic Started: Mar 31 2011, 08:08 PM (6,598 Views)
zambonimb
zambonimb
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Just testing to see if I can work Photobucket and post images of my 1957 buildPosted ImagePosted Image

The first two pictures are of what I started with in October 2010---a well rotted Ontario Canada 3B!

1957 CJ3B under construction!
1942 MB also under construction
1978 Jeep Cherokee 2 door future project

Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zambonimb
zambonimb
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hello guys! Thanks for the new rebuilder post section. I love this Page---I am inspired by the incredible work that many of you have done.

Here are some pictures of the 57 3B that I am building. This is the project that I bought from Tom in Tobermory, Ontario (Hello Tom!) and started working on this past Fall. As you can see, I am a bear for punishment!

The first two pictures show what I started with---a well seasoned (read-ROTTED) Ontario Canada tub. The third photo shows the rear floor including supports welded and the right quarter panel and wheelhouse clamped in place prior to welding.

The fourth picture shows the passenger floor tacked in place including the hat channels. I was finally able to walk around in my jeep for the first time---very exciting! I have since finished the drivers floor and hat channels but I haven't taken any pictures yet.

The final photo shows the rear of the tub complete, including the tailgate that I salvaged from two damaged ones. (The last two photos were mixed up--I still am learning how to post pictures)

I hope you enjoy seeing my progress. More postings will follow as the work gets done! GaryPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1954cj3b
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
a lot of work, but the reward is well worth it

3b'ers do it on all 4's
Posted Image

Doug
Member Avatar
Meridian, Idaho
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Ouch!!! The elements sure did a number on that!! Too many people would have given up on that and sent it to the scrap yard. I'm glad that you're taking the time and effort to save this one :)

I look forward to seeing your progress as you go!
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 CJ5 - Dauntless V6, T-14, D-18
2004 TW 200

sasquach
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Wow! You are a bear for punishment :) .

Only thing I want to add is if you are using your frame as jig to build your tub on be advised that it's probably twisted to some degree if just from sagging springs in one corner or the other or worse. a 3b frame is a noodle especially if the front cross member is cracked like most are in that condition. Once your tub is all welded up it may have a twist in it that will not come out short of buckling a panel.
just my 2c and hopefully I'm not telling you something you all ready know
64 CJ3b currently undergoing total rebuild.
78 CJ5 Body off restomod w/fuel injected 4.2, etc.

Got-the-willys
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
hope you got it cheap lol good luck

jeeper50
Member Avatar
ol' skool jeeper jeff
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Welcome to our world!

We are magicians who convert rust into a thing of beauty!! It's just that some people just see it.
In the land of the blind... the one eyed man is king
Texan at heart, Georgian by paycheck

'53 CJ3B, F134, 12v alternator, lockrights, Hot-Spark electronic module,11"self energizing brakes, Belleview winch, Beachwood summertop, OD color, built to honor all Veterans of this great country

Kayaks- Hobie Revo 13, Hobie Outback 12' both ready for the salt...

Bob
Member Avatar
Bob
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Wow, you are a glutton for punishment! Where did you get the body panels from?
Bob
1953 CJ3B
1965(?) CJ5
1949 Jeepster
1947 Cj2A
2004 Kubota l3400

the-mace
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Good Job! Looks like it is coming into it!!
Jerry Macy
Lebanon NH

61 CJ3B (current Project)
64 CJ3B basket case
?? CJ5 not home yet for parts

Don
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
AMAZING WORK !!!!! Just goes to show that about any of "them" can be saved !!!

I'd like to see an outboard view of the tailgate. Where did you get the Willys logo? It almost looks like the one from Classic, but yours has the strenght bead.

Again,,, very nice work and a lot of it.
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If lovin' Jeeps is wrong,
I don't wanta be right.

Jax
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Really nice work zambonimb,
I give you a lot of credit on the welding. I only had to replace the front floor pans and make up for the hat channel supports w/rectangular tubing. That was hard enough. Your work looks clean & solid. Keep up the good work.
Jax B)
Aloha, Kealoha Jax
kealohajax@yahoo.com
Waihou, Kainaliu Mauka, Hawaii
Willys Trans-Vintage project 1955 CJ3B
My Build:
http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...?showtopic=2775

http://s767.photobucket.com/home/kealohajax

mcafee
[ *   *   *   *  ]
Hey Gary, I wondered if you were going to be able to do anything with that tub. Looks awesome so far. Sorry again I missed you the day you picked it up, but I was busy having my foot pinned together :)

Tom
1957 Willys CJ3B Military
1967 M38a1 CND2 + M100 trailer

zambonimb
zambonimb
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, gentleman! I have wanted a 3B ever since I found The Page. Tom McCaffee made it possible by selling me(cheap!) the bare bones of one! (I'm sorry that I missed you,too, when I picked it up, Tom, but I'm sure that we will meet one day---it's a small world!)
My friend, Don Hull, who I met on this Page, has very kindly donated some old pieces from his 3B build and provides friendly support and inspiration which I always feel after seeing his bright blue 1960 beauty. A person meets the nicest people in this hobby.
Bob, I fabricated all the panels after taking measurements from the old tub, which was still whole enough to get some good measurements. It is made of 18 gauge cold rolled steel. I cheated a bit with the hat channels---I used 1x2 tubing. I think that it works well though and I already had some that I salvaged from castoff material. I was inspired by someone on the Page who did the same when he built his tub. It sure involved some serious welding, as you know, Jax.
Jeeper 50, I just enjoy making something out of "nothing" and everything boils down to making one piece at a time, making the next piece and welding the two together. It is not rocket science, but it is surely satisfying. With time and some basic tools, a MIG welder and some sheet metal, a person can make almost anything!
Don, I will post a picture of the outside of the tailgate soon. I used an old CJ5 tailgate that Don Hull gave me. It had a large JEEP on it as well as some heavy damage in the same area. I used the Willys lettering from another tailgate that was badly rusted along the lower edge. I left about a 16th of an inch space all around the piece and slowly tacked it in place. I then skip welded it solid, making sure to not weld more than a 1/2 inch at a time. It came out good with a minimum of distortion. Good point, Sasquach. I checked that the frame was level and straightened the rear crossmember before I started.
Well, that's all for now, guys. I will take some more pictures this week and post them. Thanks again for your support. The CJ3B Page rocks! Gary

Doug
Member Avatar
Meridian, Idaho
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
That is absolutely amazing metal work!! I'd be really happy if I were half that good!!
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 CJ5 - Dauntless V6, T-14, D-18
2004 TW 200

zambonimb
zambonimb
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks, Doug. Your 3B has been an inspiration since I saw your first photos. Fabricating jeep parts is a great way to get into metalwork because there are no compound curves! I make the flanges around the wheel openings with a pair of visegrips after carefully marking where the bend will be. I finish the flanges with a hammer and a dolly. Mostly it takes time and it is great exercise for the biceps!!

Best regards, Gary

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.