Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'Home Again' My CJ3B; Starting out
Topic Started: Nov 1 2011, 06:17 PM (11,808 Views)
Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
As many of you know, I finally found my grandfather's CJ3b. That's him sitting in it in 1979, shortly after he 'restored' it. He purchased it in Arizona to cruise around in during the winter. He and my grandmother were snowbirds. Shortly after purchasing it they were rear-ended by a semi. Thankfully there were only minor injuries, but the Willys was in bad shape. He towed it home and made it into what you see below. He made the stainless bumpers, foot steps, license plate frames, and spare tire rack. A chevy 350 was installed and numerous other 'changes' were made, primarily out of need. You can read the original thread and follow the story HERE
My intent is not to 'restore' this Willys, but to make it safe and fun. It was modified many years ago by my grandfather and the modifications will continue with me. I will try to stay as close to the 'Willys' line as possible, but changes will be made based on need and my capabilities. I always enjoy the input I get from boards!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)
No engine* waiting for the right one to come along , Hanging pedals, Hydraulic clutch, Front Disc brake upgrade, two gas tanks, Saginaw steering.

Major work done in the 70's following an accident.

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Well, after roughly 30 years I found it sitting in a heated garage. It was in nearly the same condition that it left me in. (when tearing it down, I found a small bubble toy behind the gas tank that I had dropped decades before) As you can see, it looks like the photos from 1979! The motor is a 305, my uncle kept the 350. :(

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)
No engine* waiting for the right one to come along , Hanging pedals, Hydraulic clutch, Front Disc brake upgrade, two gas tanks, Saginaw steering.

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
This is why I wanted it back! Here are some shots of my wife and kids welcoming the Willys home. (the wife is still concerned that she will be competing for my time with the Willys. I put her in it and pulled her and the kids around the drive with the tractor. I told her it was her 'chariot'. We'll see how that works)
Posted ImagePosted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
The stainless bumpers are still on it and looking great!Posted Image
The tag shows it to be a 57
Posted Image
Brakes are my first priority. I will be upgrading.
Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Next, I got started with identifying major components. I have over drive, a Dana 25 on the front, Dana 44 on the rear, rims from an AMC scout (grandpa's idea, the brake master might be from a plymouth, a lincoln, who knows, it's going) and I have NO E-brake. Gonna have to find one.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I started tearing down with the objective of having a rolling chassis to work on in the garage this winter.
The rust isn't all that bad on the tub.
Posted Image
The fenders have been welded on (grandpa)Posted Image
Everyone helped out! Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Today, with the entire family, we pulled the body. It took a few hours and a come-along, (and a grinder, breaker bar, patience, cold chisel, large hammer, did I say patience?)

Here's the rolling chassis!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's a few shots of the trans. Everything leaks on this war wagon of mine, so I plan on rebuilding everything. I didn't chase it for 3 decades just to let it sit and wet itself. No, this Willys will be dry, if nothing else.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Can anyone tell me, is this a Manf. date? It's a tag on the drivers side of the trans.
Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Well, winter is fast approaching. The chassis is stripped down and on blocks tucked away in the back of my garage. The body is wrapped in a tarp on my trailer. As much as I WANT to keep going, bitter cold forces me to shutter this project for the winter. My camera doesn't like cold either. Sorry for the poor quality shots. I'll try to work on it as much as I can, (I've been thinking I can sneak the trans passed my wife and into the basement) but for the most part I'll be busy with winter things.

Here's a few last photos. Say goodnight gracie, see you in a few months.
Posted ImagePosted Image
'Good night Gracie'Posted Image
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

tow hook
Member Avatar
tow hook, your western pa jeep guy
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Look like your on your way :) what size and brand tire might they be ? i like them :)
57 3b now a trans model 3b :)
93 xj r.i.p.
95 yj 33's daily driver
02 wj 33's wifes rig
98 xj rock crawler wanta be

Doug
Member Avatar
Meridian, Idaho
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Moncheche,Nov 2 2011
10:43 AM
Can anyone tell me, is this a Manf. date?  It's a tag on the drivers side of the trans.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the casting date. I also believe the assembly date is stamped into the top of the case on the flange.

You sure moved right along tearing that jeep down! It appears that your Grandpa did a really great job on any modifications he performed. Many times when people stuff V-8s into these things, they don't do a nice job and everything gets hacked up. Your jeep looks really great, I don't think I would have torn it down :D

I rebuilt both my T-90 and D-18 during the winter and did them both inside the house. Of course I cleaned them outside in the cold first.

By the way, most everything leaks on all of our jeeps. My D-18 still leaks a bit after rebuild (but not as bad as before), I replaced the rear main seal on the engine and that still leaks and I've had the timing cover off about 4 times now trying to get that to stop leaking but it still does :o So good luck trying to eliminate the leaks!!!

Enjoy!!
1963 CJ3B - F134 Hurricane, T-90C, D-18, 5.38s, Overdrive, 938YF, 12V alternator
1969 CJ5 - Dauntless V6, T-14, D-18
2004 TW 200

SKT
[ *  ]

This is a great thread!

It must be a great feeling to have it back!

Sorry if I missed it, but how did you find it again?

Bob_webber
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I like the dual gas tank setup, hydraulic clutch, and appears to be a heavier steering box. it looks like your grandpa thought of everything, i like it. :)
53 3b, early cj5 frame (hurricane),2.43 ratio t case 26 tooth with 1 1/4" case (my own creation), late 60's c5 ross steering box, all range od, parts from a welder generator, and parts from about 9 different jeeps and counting. my every last penny and ounce of patients creates what we call the FrAnken B, the jeep that never was

bob, north east Ohio

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
<_<
Well, so much for 'winter hibernation'. I boiled the carb today, 20+ years of varnish.

I worked the kinks of out the turn signal, found a broken wire and polished it up.

Polished the headlight bezels.

Polished the taillight lenses, painted the cases and retainer rings to prevent them from rusting again, then shelved them. They aren't a Willys product, so no pics.

The carb is off of the 305, so no pics of that either.

The turn signal is the black autolight one. It's in excellent shape.

1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Bob_webber,Nov 5 2011
12:56 PM
I like the dual gas tank setup, hydraulic clutch, and appears to be a heavier steering box. it looks like your grandpa thought of everything, i like it. :)

I was hoping to use some sort of epoxy gas tank liner to save those tanks. I don't have the money to replace both. That will wait until next year for sure.

My grandfather always 'overbuilt' things. If he did it, you can be sure it's built to survive the A-bomb.

I still use the trailer he made out of plate steel in 1976. (He also put the date and his initials on everything. I am still looking for his initials on the Willys)
1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.