Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
My 58 rebuild; begin at the beginning
Topic Started: May 18 2012, 07:57 AM (12,026 Views)
jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
My father passed away suddenly in 97. He left behind the willys in the driveway.

No one was living at the house and by 2008 the neighborhood had deteriated to the point where the jeep was in danger of theft or destruction. Full set of auto and diesel mechanics tools and lots of other goodies came home with me too. E.g. 1 hp pedistal grinder.

My intention was to get the willys running and have some fun. My brother had driven it for a few years after my Father had passed and then put it back in the driveway. I thought it might run but it wouldn't. So I started a mismash of efforts to get it to run.

The original plan was pistons, rings, and rod bearings. While installing pistons - "oh those weren't so hard to get in - slid right in - oops". Assumed the engine wasn't previously rebuilt and didn't bother to measure - it was and std sized pistons do slide nicely into oversized cylinders. Time to regroup. Return and order right size. Continue to take off misc parts, do some cleaning. Got busy with other stuff.

Storing it on the side of the house for a year until the po po came and told me to move it. I moved it to the driveway and my wife wasn't too happy about that. Apparently, the po po weren't either as they came back and told me to junk it or put it in the garage. I chose the garage - po po happy, wife unhappy. Willys dropping grease, dirt, and rust like an old dog stuck in the house for two weeks! Wife didn't notice Willys on side of house much, now sees it all the time in garage. Garage smells like oil and grease. Leaks. piles of dirt, rust, and grease acccumlating.

Obtain plate (separate long story) and move back to driveway. No sign of po po - yet. I start work on Jeep. Hmmm, frame off - how hard could that be? Hey, why not - I've got a book!

By summer, the body comes off, Engine out, off to rebuilders Aug 11. Tc and Tranny on my workbench over the winter. Frame to sandblaster Feb 12. Body to sandblaster March 12.

Body and frame in driveway now. I may just get this thing back together - maybe.
1958 CJ3B F134 engine\Dana 25 with Spicer type axles\Dana 44 rear\T90 trans\Dana 18 transfer case.

Northest Ohio
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Moncheche
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Ha! Welcome.

Unfortunately, all you'll find here is things that will not impress the wife.

I am one of the lucky ones. My wife has been remarkably patient. She's a saint. That, and I got her a car with heated leather seats. A used car, but heated leather, come on....

1957 CJ3B (29,000 miles)
No engine* waiting for the right one to come along , Hanging pedals, Hydraulic clutch, Front Disc brake upgrade, two gas tanks, Saginaw steering.

Major work done in the 70's following an accident.

T90a trans
Warn OD
D44/D25

Don
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Welcome and thanks for the saga. It sounds you're making good progress on your project.

I guess I'm lucky with the wifey thing. My wife's first husband didn't stay home much and came back sometime drunk and smelling of perfume. (not hers) She is glad I stay home nites and weekends and enjoys hearing me banging on things in the work shop.

Good luck.
Don Norris
Southeast, NC

1953 CJ3B
1959 Jeep Pickup
195? M100 trailer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trail never ends
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If lovin' Jeeps is wrong,
I don't wanta be right.

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Well, I have to admit though that my wife is really a saint too, except that she is getting a little fed up with my projects. Beside the CJ, There's a 1960 Yamaha Scooter all apart, a 82 Kawasaki 550kz -that I'm about to sell, a 1951 Chevy Bel Air coupe, and a 1957 Chevy Bel Air coupe! I think she just wants to see one completed!

I attacked the Jeep first because I think it will be the most fun for me once I'm done. I'm off to do the rear axle now. Will post pic's this weekend
1958 CJ3B F134 engine\Dana 25 with Spicer type axles\Dana 44 rear\T90 trans\Dana 18 transfer case.

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Stalled this weekend trying to pull the rear hubs. Used a large 3 jaw with lots of pressure plus heat. Won't budge - either side. I have the large hub puller that I need, but actually I only have 2/3 of that tool as one of the legs was lost. I lose a lot of things but this tool came that way to me in the collection I inherited. Can't find anyone to rent it from - the autozone, advance, etc slide hammer flange doesn't fit either the studs and it doesn't have enough depth. New tool about 130 bucks- bummer.

Well I guess I'll work on other things until I come up with a strategy, maybe some friends have it but most have the non fitting slide hammer. Maybe I can coax one from my local mechanic's shop- they're hard to break, apparently easy to lose. Anybody got an extra leg laying around?

two legs on human - good, two legs on puller -bad!

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Well, I've finally found my download cord for the camera and will start to update this post with my progress. I'll try to start at the beginning and move forward. I started with "just get it running" and have progressed to a frame off restoration. I'll post of few a day.

Here's the project, towed out of the backyard after 7 years there uncovered, transported 110 miles to my driveway. It was not running - this is after I gave up trying to start it and pulled the head. Couple bb holes in the top from kids in the old (tough) neighborhood.

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
My first hint of what I was in for....

Posted Image

Even worse - pieces of rings everywhere - ut oh. That exhaust manifold is cracked and the engine run a long time with that defect. Can't see it here, but that's going to come into play later on during the engine rebuild.

Posted Image

Posted Image

At this point, I was going to do pistons, rings, and rod bearings and try to get it running.

Posted Image

rod bearings -

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hadn't decided on frame off yet. Kept taking misc things off, clean, repair, paint.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

bob in NC
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
i guess the fact that it was your dad's jeep put a lot
of points on your side with da wife. keep up the good work

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
The wife helped me measure for the sheet metal peices to fix the body. Let's see if I can get a welding helmet on her.

Engine with new pistons before I opted for a full rebuild. Would have liked to do the engine myself, - especially after seeing Doug's thread, but with everything else to do on the Willy's, that would have set me back even further.

Posted Image

I started the project a while ago- rebuilt the carb but had some issues and moved on. My friend made these and gave them to me on my birthday to finish it up (plus a six pack too!). Had forgotten about them and found them in my desk drawer yesterday.

I didn't think the old one was going to work very well - that pic is after cleaning it up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
transfer case rebuilt and assembled but I think I ended up with too many shims and tightening the yoke nut made it very difficult to turn. Saw something on the BB about that, have to research. That's been primed and repainted. Hand cleaned it - took 6 hours. Couldn't make anything out except the brake drum.

Posted Image

Tranny halfway assembled, new bearings, second speed, and synchro, also new input shaft. Old input shaft had ridges inside cavity with 14 rollers went.

Posted Image

Posted Image

blasted and painted body parts awaiting tub restoration. New floorpans and hat channels. Going into unchartered territory with the tub.

Posted Image

Think that floorpan and channel need replacing - yeah, me too.
Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
old and new crossmembers - hey Mr. PO - how big was that boulder?

Posted Image

My long lost engine came back home after almost a year. Told him to take his time. No skin off my back though, I've still got the body to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And there's what that exhaust manifold did - milled it best he could. Any special treatment I should do when putting the new manifold on?

Posted Image

Can see the oil ports now!

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
decipher my tag? It would be a new one right?

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
It's been a while, so time for an update. The engine is back at the rebuilders so he can put in the flywheel bolts that he forgot the first time.

The tranny is now almost complete with only the top part to rebuild, the guts are all done.

Most of my efforts have been on the body for the last three months. I've done little metal work and no welding in the past, so this part has been intimidating. I'm not really sure how my quality is, really having nothing to compare it to. Although, even I notice when I screw up, and I have.

Together again! No not really, had to move the body out of the garage for Thanksgiving and set up the ping pong table for my kids and visitors.

Posted Image

layout the floorpans

Posted Image

floorpans in

Posted Image

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I think I'm at 22 distinct new 16 gauge sheet pieces. Here's some of that work. I was using a air cutoff tool, air nibbler, sawsall, and a big hand shear. Best tool, my 40 year old little B&D jigsaw - with new sharp blades. Have gone through a lot of blades. Wish I had figured that out on day 1!

I worked hard to save the Jeep Script Logo. Cut around it and crafted 4 peices. Lot more work, but worth it to me. That was back in the summer when I started. My skills have improved and I probably could craft a single piece now.

Posted Image

Didn't know how to bead it properly so just used a straight peice. Most of it is going to be under the roll bar.

Posted Image

Lot's of work in the passenger rear quarter. The spare tire rack seemed to trap the water and a lot of the area under rusted out. It ticked me off to find that, so the rack isn't going back on!. Insult to injury, also a big dent in front of carrier. That curved piece was a lot of fun. Taillight area all rusted out too. Took five pieces in this area.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That black line ? - It's marker to show where I had to start a bend to mate up to the bend in the mated piece. Used a 1 1/2 cast iron pipe to make all my bends.

Posted Image

Northest Ohio

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.