Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Project; 1964 Jeep CJ 3B
Topic Started: Jun 5 2014, 03:37 PM (4,101 Views)
SATCJ3B
[ *  ]
Picture of how I found it. It has been sitting in a field for about 10 years. Rusty, but complete.

Posted Image

The body tub has huge holes in the floorboards and some pretty significant holes on other places but the front flip and windshield frame look pretty good.
Posted Image

I hope the heater is salvageable
Posted Image

I ran the numbers from the tag against the info on this website to determine the year of manufacture. Came up with 1964. The paint code tag is missing (of course) but the President's Red looks to be the original paint with a later coat of beige and an even later coat of yellow. The Jeep was primarily a hunting rig for most of it's life.
Posted Image
Current project:
1964 CJ3B

Previously owned:
1972 CJ5 304 3 Spped
1976 CJ5 w/T18
1991 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2002 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2004 Grand Cherokee
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oldtime
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
SATCJ3B,
Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board !
That one is going to take up a lot of your time.
Time for you to have some fun.

54willysjeep
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
that is going to be a lot of work. enjoy.
54 WILLYS CJ3B, F-134, T90, D18, Front and rear axles, Ross steering,M606 Body Tub.
46 CJ2A current new project converting it to 2A/MB jeep.
Orange County California

HOGHEAD
Member Avatar
Old Jeep Fart
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
A little elbow grease & it will buff out ,, Thats all mine took & 10 years of planing & reworking ,,,Fun Fun Fun ,,, in the end,, Whick mine is getting closer,,,
Dargan Md...
Death Before 2 Wheel Drive...
"On a Steel Horse I ride"
AMC Rules.
"Journey" not the Destination...
59 Cj3-b (married to a 74 Cj-5 frame & AMC running gear)
Posted Image
Willys Overland,,

My Build http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...?showtopic=2892

SATCJ3B
[ *  ]
Got the front fenders, hood. core support and radiator out. Despite the layers of paint the fenders and core support seem to be in pretty good shape. I am thinking about having them media blasted since the paint is so thick. I am not sure about the hood. Seems pretty bad in the center. Next will be to get started on getting the body tub off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Current project:
1964 CJ3B

Previously owned:
1972 CJ5 304 3 Spped
1976 CJ5 w/T18
1991 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2002 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2004 Grand Cherokee

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Looks like someone intended to strengthen that hood with a support.
1958 CJ3B F134 engine\Dana 25 with Spicer type axles\Dana 44 rear\T90 trans\Dana 18 transfer case.

Northest Ohio

bob in NC
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
man - you don't mess around. at that rate, you'll be done in no time

SATCJ3B
[ *  ]
Hey jking,
I see now what you mean. This is my first flat fender so I am not familiar with all of the nuances of the vehicle but after your comment I do see that someone welded a support rod down the hood seam. This Sunday I will be stripping out the dash and the remaining seat in the tub and I may try to get the steering column out. Trying to get down to taking the body off so I can get access to all of the drivetrain for a full inspection and see if it runs.

My plan is to make it a driver and upgrade what is upgradeable to modern technology for safety and driveability (wiring, brakes, wheels and tires, etc.) Additionally, I will be putting a small lift on it. Way back when someone welded on a very heavy, homemade skid plate that I will need to cut off. I guess I will find out if I can rent a plasma cutter....
Current project:
1964 CJ3B

Previously owned:
1972 CJ5 304 3 Spped
1976 CJ5 w/T18
1991 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2002 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2004 Grand Cherokee

SATCJ3B
[ *  ]
Sorry I have left everyone hanging. Since my last post I sold my house, bought a house (which means I had to move the Jeep to my friends driveway for a month or so) and some other personal life things got in the way. I am now all moved in and am in the process of setting up my new garage shop. I will post a couple pics in a few weeks of that process. I am going to add shop lighting and some electrical and maybe plumb some air lines. That will take a few weeks and THEN I will be ready to start getting that rusted body off the frame.

I was considering replacing the body with a "RepliTub" from Willy's Overland. Anyone have any experience with that?
Current project:
1964 CJ3B

Previously owned:
1972 CJ5 304 3 Spped
1976 CJ5 w/T18
1991 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2002 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2004 Grand Cherokee

jking
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I'd suggest looking your tub over very carefully to determine what would be required to save it. If it is mostly floorpans and the hat channel, that's not that hard to do. No doubt hard work to restore a tub, but I think the repli tub has its own set of challenges and of course the cost.
1958 CJ3B F134 engine\Dana 25 with Spicer type axles\Dana 44 rear\T90 trans\Dana 18 transfer case.

Northest Ohio

Bob
Member Avatar
Bob
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I have to agree with Jking, if you can save the old body, you'll be happier in the end.
Bob
1953 CJ3B
1965(?) CJ5
1949 Jeepster
1947 Cj2A
2004 Kubota l3400

SATCJ3B
[ *  ]
I have pretty much decided to salvage the original tub.

On another note, I have an opportunity to acquire an aluminum hardtop (I think it is a Myers). Does anyone know if a hardtop that fits a 1966 CJ5 will fit my 1964 CJ3B? I know the doors will not fit but I would like to have a hardtop if it will work.

Thoughts?
Current project:
1964 CJ3B

Previously owned:
1972 CJ5 304 3 Spped
1976 CJ5 w/T18
1991 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2002 Wrangler 4.0 Litre
2004 Grand Cherokee

54willysjeep
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
SATCJ3B,Mar 27 2015
09:26 AM
I have pretty much decided to salvage the original tub.

On another note, I have an opportunity to acquire an aluminum hardtop (I think it is a Myers). Does anyone know if a hardtop that fits a 1966 CJ5 will fit my 1964 CJ3B? I know the doors will not fit but I would like to have a hardtop if it will work.

Thoughts?

I scrapped my tub on my 3B due to the amount of rust and holes in the body it wasn't worth the time money and energy to repair it. I did get a new/old tub to put on my 54 3B and it saved me a ton of time. I saved quite a few large parts that are original to my knowledge which also saved a ton of money.
54 WILLYS CJ3B, F-134, T90, D18, Front and rear axles, Ross steering,M606 Body Tub.
46 CJ2A current new project converting it to 2A/MB jeep.
Orange County California

Terry Fairchild
[ *   *   *  ]
Hi SatCJ3B,
When the time comes to remove the steering wheel, you should have one of my Jeep steering wheel pullers.
Yes, this is a unabashed plug for my puller, BUT using it WILL save you countless hours of grief, swearing and frustration as well as preserve the wheel as well as the threads on the steering shaft.
Just ask anyone who has struggled with removing the wheel and ask anyone who has used my puller!

RamblinCJ3B
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Terry Fairchild,Mar 30 2015
05:53 AM
Hi SatCJ3B,
When the time comes to remove the steering wheel, you should have one of my Jeep steering wheel pullers.
Yes, this is a unabashed plug for my puller, BUT using it WILL save you countless hours of grief, swearing and frustration as well as preserve the wheel as well as the threads on the steering shaft.
Just ask anyone who has struggled with removing the wheel and ask anyone who has used my puller!

Yes. worth it's weight in gold! The steering wheel came right off with almost no effort!
Eddie
Clovis,Ca
1956 Willys PU
1962 USN CJ3B Stock
1971 Hurst Jeepster 350
1972 Commando 4.0 HO
1972 Commando I6 258
1975 J20 401

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.