Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hood; What is proper 1963 Surrey Hood
Topic Started: Nov 4 2016, 11:21 AM (473 Views)
RayRay
[ *  ]
Does anyone know the proper hood for the 1963 Surrey? I have seen hoods with Hood Blocks and without Hood Blocks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Interesting question. None of the pictures I have of various Surreys show the blocks, and the only 1963 specific picture of one is for the "Nutty Professor movie", which is included in the search I ran... https://www.google.com/search?q=images+1963...bih=575#imgrc=_

In the search results are indeed some showing hood blocks. Very few. Now did they come that way, or owner installed? but since the windshield can fold down, it would be curious why they were not included??? Hmmm Someone else got something more definitive?
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

mpeace455
[ *  ]
Steve-I had the hood blocks on my 1957 Hardtop and figured they were there not just to fold the windshield down but to protect the hood when it was up. My guess would be they all had hood blocks.

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Good point made. My Dj is a '62 Dispatcher Half Top and it had them. The Surrey guys will have to chime in here for real experience answers. I haven't seen any vintage ads that show blocks, and I looked at the late Bruce Agan's Surrey restored to great detail, and his does not have the blocks. Now did it come that way originally, it is too late to ask him, and all the pictures I have of it 'in restoration progress', start after primer, so holes could have been filled already. The question lingers...
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Bill Brown
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
When I was restoring my '63 Surrey I concluded after looking at factory ads and factory photos that the Surreys did not have the wood blocks at the front of the hood. That said, however, my hoo0d did have the holes for the blocks and it also had holes for hood latch clamps both front and rear on both sides. I'm convinced that the rear clamps were not correct so I wonder if my hood was a replacement and not a factory Surrey hood. The car is a real Surrey.

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I recently did searches for Surrey ads, post cards, vintage pictures, and not one of them showed hood blocks for the Surrey. I did find one Gala ad that did have the blocks. Maybe that is the difference? Also, in a picture of 100 Special built Pepsi Cola Surreys "ready for delivery", not one had the blocks, and several pictured had the windshields down, with a single spacer of some kind in the center of the windshield, not hood blocks, and it was thicker than hood blocks too. I'm guessing just for shipping. So there you go, in typical Dj fashion, a definite answer is "probably not".
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Jesse from MN
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Could you put rubber stoppers on the windshield above the top C channel? The top would hide them when it was in place and then you would have bump stops if you ever wanted to fold the windshield down.

-Jesse

« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.