Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
YF 2392 throttle linkage; Photobucket blues
Topic Started: Aug 22 2017, 01:08 PM (183 Views)
donb
[ *  ]
I'm installing the throttle linkage on my 134L, YF 2392 equipped engine & am perplexed by the bell crank I've got because it is not the same as the Willys parts book diagram. The parts book shows the spring attached thru a hole at the very end of the left arm of the bell crank & the vertical rod up to the carb inboard of that spring hole. My bell crank left arm has no spring hole & the hole for the vertical rod is at the very end. In researching this issue I've come across photos that Charles has posted showing his bell crank & linkage but this Photobucket mess has prevented me from seeing them.

Charles, is there a way I could see your photos of the bell crank?

So many folks have fooled with this jeep that I'm really not sure if I have the right bell crank & carb linkage.

As always, many thanks for your help.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
There's not a hole for the spring on any of my examples of that pivot either and it looks like there should have been. It doesn't call for any kind of extra linkage for that spring to hook to either. What I did was to just hook the spring over the lever that goes into the hole.

I'll see if I can find and get a decent picture on here sometimes tomorrow.
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hey Don, As Charles said, there is no hole in the bell crank. I use the hole in the carb linkage for the spring attachment. Sorry, no pics, but it is pretty straight forward.
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
If this works right!!!

Here's kind of how I hooked my spring to my pivot (bell crank)
Posted Image

And here's the linkage that comes up through the manifold to the carb
Posted Image

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks for the pics Charles. I don't see the pedal linkage, which goes on the shaft where you have the spring, and as pictured, surely it will slide off at some point. IMO. Also, It looks to be backwards. It needs the pedal pushing the bell crank so the carb link goes up. The picture of the carb shows it wide open, not at idle position. The spring holds the throttle linkage 'down'. A carter pin and a washer are needed to keep it there, and from binding on the pin, IMO. I used the spring in place of a carter pin.
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks Steve. The pedal linkage that was on that motor was taken off when I took the body off of that DJ. Just left that spring there so I wouldn't lose it. All of the stuff in those pictures is just extras.

Using the spring as a Carter pin is exactly what I'm going to do to my 56 when I hook it up!

donb
[ *  ]
Thanks Charles for your photos. Your bell crank looks the same as mine & thanks Steve for confirming your bell crank is the same also. I think I'll drill a spring hole below & 1/4" to the inside of that left arm linkage hole to connect the spring. I've done some measuring & it appears that the vertical rod that goes up to the carb must go 2" up to move the carb throttle from idle to wide open. The gas pedal rod must move horizontally towards the radiator 1 3/4" to make the carb rod move that 2". When I get the body tub back on I'll check for that gas pedal stroke.

I'm still perplexed why my Willys parts book & service manual show a different bell crank configuration. The diagram is numbered 10737 in both books - fig. 25 group 12-08 in the parts book & fig. 133 fuel system section in the service manual. Was this an early style that was abandoned for the simpler setup we have? I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
donb,Aug 24 2017
08:05 PM

I'm still perplexed why my Willys parts book & service manual show a different bell crank configuration.  The diagram is numbered 10737 in both books - fig. 25 group 12-08 in the parts book & fig. 133 fuel system section in the service manual.  Was this an early style that was abandoned for the simpler setup we have?  I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

From what I've seen pretty much the same from 1956 to at least 1962.

I started to drill a hole in mine too but since other DJ3A's didn't have holes I left it alone. Eventually Ill get better pictures fro the gas pedal all of the way to the carb.

One of these days me or someone else should start a new thread 'EVERYTHING THATS WRONG IN THE WILLYS DJ3A DISPATCHER PARTS BOOKS...ESPECIALLY PICTURES'!!!!

As you see now they can't always be trusted. Often Willys used whatever stock images they had at the time and which ever image they started with wound up in all of the books from then on. You think the bell crank pictures are bad try putting a T96 transmission back together using Willys engineers (or book writer) image.

Even though it says so it's NOT a T96 transmission. Their DJ3A T96 image is actually a T90 transmission which goes together just enough different to cause a huge problem and make you figure it out and take it partly back apart so that you can put it together correctly. All the while ignoring the images that showed you how to do it wrong.

« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.