Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1956 DJ3A Folding Soft Top Convertible; RESURRECTION
Topic Started: Aug 24 2017, 10:53 AM (166 Views)
PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Since the photo bucket scandal and the loss of my pictures ruined my last thread I'll start again until I get caught up.

This is what I started with

Posted Image

Posted Image

1. Wrong rear axle
2. Solid back panel cut off
3. Collision damage and dents and dings covered with thick bondo
4. All electrical wires and gauges cut off and missing except enough to crank the motor
5. Badly bent front axle
6. Ugly homemade front bumper and rear crossmember
7. Brake lines and gas lines rotten or missing
8. Minor rust damage (the thick bondo saved most of the body from rust
9. No seats
10. Badly dented gas tank
11. WAY WRONG 14" tires and wheels

So I set out to turn this
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Back into one of these

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using as many original DJ3A Dispatcher parts as possible without taking any shortcuts

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
First I stripped all of the layers of paint and bondo and cut out any rot that I could find

Posted Image

Posted Image

And hand made patches from scrap and welded them in. I also prepped the metal for paint with a cheap rust treatment from Lowes

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Found a like new front axle
Posted Image

Front end parts
Posted Image

And rear axle

Posted Image

In Ohio.

I did rebuild the brakes with NOS front 1 1/8" wheel cylinders, had the hubs turned just for good measure, and rebuilt the master cylinder and made new brake lines

Posted Image

As you can see if I go to the trouble of cleaning something up I painted it before reinstalling even if it wasn't supposed to be painted the first time around!

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
TECH FACTS

WILLYS DJ3A Dispatcher

original equipment

1 1/8" front wheel cylinders
13/16" rear wheel cylinders
9" by 2" front and rear brake shoes

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I hand made and riveted on a new front bumper and rear crossmember. For these I used much heavier steel than original.[

Posted Image

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Much of the work done on this DJ3A frame and axles were done upside down on saw horses in my shop

Shown here flipping it back over onto its feet
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
TECH FACTS

DJ3A Dispatcher SERIAL NUMBERS can be FOUND in two and sometimes in three different locations on the jeep.

1. DATA TAG on firewall is the main location

2. STAMPED numbers on the right side frame rail. . This set of numbers can be seen with careful cleaning and without removing the tub. It is located directly above the front springs rear mount location on the top flange of the rail. This set of numbers won't include the 56337 DJ3A Dispatcher serial number prefix.

3. OPTIONAL 3Rd LOCATION OF SERIAL NUMBER ON FRAME RAIL
'May' be on some DJ3A Dispatchers???
There's reported to have been another serial number stamping on the REAR section of the passenger side frame rail. If there this number should be just ahead of where the fuel tank sets. No sign of a second stamping could be found in this location on my 1956 and my 1962 DJ3A Dispatcher's frame rails.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
When taking apart the engine I found things in a lot better shape than I could have predicted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cylinder walls were still in spec and there was very little wear. So after a really really good cleaning I honed the cylinders and polished the crank and put it back together with fresh rings and bearings.

Even though this engine was running pretty good when I got this DJ a stuck and broken oil ring and a slightly bent valve adjuster might have eventually proved catastrophic.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I heated with a charcoal fire and removed the ring gear from the flywheel, turned it around, and put it back on and let it cool.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The surface of my flywheel was already in pretty nice shape. No excessive glazing, scrubbing, or wear so I light sanded it and put it back on my engine.

From that Ohio lot where I found my like new front and rear axles and and engine rings and bearings etc. there was also a heavy duty clutch and a really nice pressure plate that I used.

Posted Image

Posted Image

That stuff and more as it was told to me had been kept in storage in a old shop for over 30 years!

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
TECH FACTS

Early DJ3A Dispatcher Distrubuter is a IAY 4012. My notes indicate that for later models it could have been a IAY 4401?

I decided to take mine apart and clean up and inspect everything before reassembly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Posted Image

Posted Image

TECH FACTS

DJ3A DISPATCHER DISTRIBUTER CAP....... ECHLIN #AL110

Dj3A DISPATCHER ROTARY CAP....ECHLIN #AL104

DJ3A DISPARCHER CONDENSER.........ECHLIN #AL868 (6 volt)
or #AL869 (12V

DJ3A DISPATCHER POINTS........ECHLIN CS725A

(I used ECHLIN because they were American made, reliable and with a good reputation, and fairly easy to find NOS)

« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.