Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What motor should I have; DJ3A Dispatcher
Topic Started: Aug 24 2017, 09:45 PM (319 Views)
Cenark
[ *  ]
I am starting to research parts on my DJ to verify they are correct. So far I have discovered that I have a matching frame/body of 10947. The motor that was in it started getting water into the oil so it was removed and put another one that I had out of a 2a.i am having a hard time finding legable serial numbers on the motors. Based off of the casting numbers, the first motor was a 3A with an industrial head, and the second motor is a ford block with a 2A head. I have three other motors in storage and are unsure of the numbers at this time. I know the numbers on body/motor never match. But which motor castings would be the correct time frame?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cenark
[ *  ]
http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg577/...zps3buwupdp.jpg

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hi Cenark and welcome.

I don't know the first thing about motor castings so maybe someone else does???

I'll tell you what I do know though.

I do know that DJ3 Dispatchers have a engine serial number stamped on the front of the motor above the water pump. For that motor to be considered 100% correct for a DJ3A it should have a prefix of 3J- and then the number. If there was ever a serious rebuild along with machine work on the engine then there's chance that the numbers were completely ground off and it doesn't matter anyway.

I'm going to attach a previous post from Colin Peabody that is the best explanation of Dj3A Dispatchers engine numbers sequence's that I've ever seen.

colin,May 26 2017
02:25 PM

Be that as it may, we know now that the engine numbers for CJ3As and DJ3As had the same prefix and the numbers did not match the serial numbers on either model designation. They weren't necessarily in sequence with serial numbers of Jeeps on either side of them. They could be off a couple hundred or even as much as several thousand. 1948-49 Jeepsters with the L-134 engines used a "U" prefix and those numbers did not correspond with the serial number of the car either. Same for station wagons, panel deliveries and pickups, which used a"S" or "SW" or "T" or "2T" using the L-134 Go Devil engine. I had assumed that the universal Jeeps simply used a "J".
My question has been all along, did they stamp the engine number prefix(only) once the engine was in the particular vehicle and that is why the following digits were so far off. The last digits were already stamped? There were dozens of additional applications for the L-134 and they must have all had a different prefix. The Henry J 4 cylinder vehicles only had an engine number that began with 350xxxx, but other than the Kaiser cylinder head, it was the Willys Go-Devil. Too many questions, not enough answers that remain for history.

I've got 2 DJ's a 1956 and a 1962 and the 3J prefix L-head, go-devil engine numbers are nowhere near close to the serial numbers as I remember. I can get you more pictures if needed.

Please feel free to ask further questions and can you tell us any more details about your jeep?
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I followed the link that you added back to your Photobucket account. That's one heck of a set of tires that you've got on your DJ!

http://s1244.photobucket.com/user/Cenark/m...uwupdp.jpg.html

Serial number 10947, I'm assuming is 56337 10947 in its entirety and would put this dispatcher in the 1956 range of production.

I hope you get the motor fixed. Even with it being a 2 wheel drive with the lighter weight that goes along with that and with those mud grips on the back I bet that would be fun to drive in off road situations.

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

colin
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hi Cenark-

Colin Peabody here- I am keeping a database of DJ3A serial numbers and I have added yours to the list. If you could email me with other info on your Jeep and your name, general location in the United States and email address as well as photos that don't have to be downloaded from Photobucket, I would appreciate it. I don't reveal any personal information on any owner without their express permission. I use this information as reference material only as PapaC and others can attest to.

My email address is: colins60vette@cox.net I am in Phoenix.

1948 Willys Jeepster 463 75742
1960 Willys DJ3A Surrey 56337 19170
1960 Corvette 00867S1xxxxx

Cenark
[ *  ]
Those tires are not staying on it. The tall side wall makes the jeep kinda squirrelly. And they hit the frame at full turn. It is a 56. The seats and windshield in the picture is not correct, but I have the originals. In fact everything except the motor appears original. And I think the transmission mount has been swapped due to it having wood spacers between it and the frame to make it 2" lower.

Cenark
[ *  ]
And it runs. Just doesn't have correct motor. Actually drove it today.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hang on to any original parts for sure because just about everything that was original on DJ3A's is hard to come by and expensive to replace.

The fact that it even drives is of course a big plus. Can you add pictures of your engine to your Photobucket account or you can even send them to me @ charles_tate@yahoo.com.

On a original DJ3A engine set up the carburetor for 1956 should be a YF 2392S. That number would be on a small flange on the carburetor and is turned 90 on its unique intake manifold that is different from other normal jeeps, CJ's etc. This 90 twist in the intake manifold cause that carburetor
to use a different linkage set up all of the way from the gas pedal to the carb. The front plate on the motor may be different from other jeeps but I'm not real familiar with other jeeps so I can't say for sure. And the bell housings on dj3a's are set up for a closed nose starter. DJ's have a unique oill fuller spout from other jeeps.

In spite of everything mentioned it's still pretty much your basic L-head, Go Devil engine engine at its heart and almost any of them can be re-configured and set up to work.

I'v got quite a few pictures of DJ3A serial # 56337 10030 that I need to get back online after the photo bucket crash. 56337 10030 is the 30th Dispatcher ever made and was recently found in a barn where it has been stored for years. It also is the most original older DJ3A that I have ever seen anywhere and from appearances still contains the most original parts of any early DJ3A Dispatcher to date.

Wood block spacers between the transmission mount and the frame are correct for a dj3a Dispatchers all years believe it to not! There's also wood block spacers between the tub and the rear mounted gas tank!

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I took the liberty of taking a screen shot of your jeep on Photobucket and am going to post it here for others to view and comment on if they want to.

Posted Image

Cenark
[ *  ]
Wow, never would have thought the wood was original. I will try to get pictures uploaded this weekend.

Cenark
[ *  ]
We put that windshield on, the CJ seats had you sitting too high. The original short windshield along with split bench seat is in storage at my dads. And this one does not have a tailgate.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
COOL! That short windshield and solid back panel makes your DJ3A unquestionably a folding soft top convertible body, the sportiest one of all of the DJ3A models and is something I have been studying for years now!

To me, that's the coolest jeep of all time and is exactly what that I'm restoring myself.

Cenark
[ *  ]
I had dad send me a picture of the motor he took out of it. It does have the different oil dipstick, intake, and dry air cleaner. Which would make everything on the DJ original except the head since it has an industrial casting number.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
That dry air cleaner is so rare that it's like solid gold!!! It took me YEARS to even find one. I didn't know it then but there's a couple of years of early Chevrolet Corvettes that use the exact same air cleaner on their dual carb set ups. The only difference between ours and theirs is theirs is chrome. And if you don't believe that those buggers are expensive, just try to find one. In short. The dj3a dry air filters, impossible to find. A corvette chromed verson might be found but it is going to break the bank buying it!

Who knows why yours has a industrial head unless the original one had been changed over the years. That could have been for any number of reasons. Cracked, blown headgadket, etc.

The only real difference between a Willys industrial head and a regular Willis head is that a industrial head has a little bit less compression. That's because those industrial engines were prone to be used for a longer period of time at a set rpm for something like a generator etc.

I've got a extra industrial head myself along with several other DJ heads. Heck knowing me if I didn't know about the weaker compression ratio I might actually WANT to put it on my engine just because that it said industrial!

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
These are not parts that I used on my jeep but these are dj3a specific engine part that I have.

Here's a dj3a dispatcher intake and exhaust manifold

Posted Image

And here's a dj3a dispatcher oil filler tube and dipstick

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.