Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DJ3A #947
Topic Started: Aug 25 2017, 09:27 PM (277 Views)
Cenark
[ *  ]
I am starting this thread for all information pertaining to and restoration progress of my 56 DJ3A #947.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]

Posted Image

Charles Tate
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Ps. Thanks for moving the discussion back to the forum. That way everybody that's curious about these DJ3A's can learn too. MUCH more rewarding than keeping everything private or hidden!!!

Any pictures that you need help posting I'll be glad to help. Since photobucket double crossed us I've learned to use Imgur which is easy to use but really hard to tell anyone how to.

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

Cenark
[ *  ]
Thanks! You can add any/all photos from the emails.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's a picture of Matts windshield.

Posted Image

You can still see the holes where that the turn fasteners were for a convertible top.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's some pictures of casting numbers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those I personally don't know anything about but Matt reports that his head has been replaced with an Willys industrial head at some point.

Also notice the reddish color. This is by far not the first Dj3a to have a reddish colored engine instead of black. As such this dispatcher lends even more evidence that some DJ3A's may have had engines come from the factory this way!

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's a money shot for sure. These dry air filters were a option on dj3a Dispatcher's and are more rare than hens teeth. Matt when you get ready to put it back on we can go over your options for buying or making a filter for this.

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I'm kind of jealous that he's got dj3a Dispatcher seat frames this good hidden back. When you see the rotten ones I'm going to have to use for a pattern to get everything 100% correct on mine you'll truly understand what that I mean!

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's the classic 0 to 80mph King Seeley. 6 volt speedometer that belongs in 1956 dj3a Dispatchers

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
And here's Matts grill.

Posted Image

Head light bezels are pretty easily available but first we've got to confirm FOR SURE if that's a 1956 or a later model dj3a grill. Early DJ3A's had CJ2A type headlight buckets and later DJ's are just a little bit different. The bezels are different with the early ones having more of a flattened look and the later ones having more of a bug eyed look. That applies to both the headlights and the parking lights.

A little tired tonight keeping up lol but tomorrow I'll check and compare for sure. I'll even start another thread clearly comparing early and late ones and we'll figure this one out for sure.

Cenark
[ *  ]
The rear has 5 leafs and the front has 4. I don't think the tail lights are originals. And it does have a horn. I'll send those pics to you via email.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Posted Image

This view of Matts headlight bucket indeed confirms that this is a early model dj3a Dispatcher 1956 grill. The grommet gives it away. Early 6volt DJ3A's had cloth wire and the headlight harness was in a asphalt covered wire loom that went through that hole.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Matt sent pictures of his springs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Certainly better shape than a lot of springs that I've seen on Dj3a Dispatchers! I'm still not sure and may never be exactly but I really like that spring count and that's what I'm going to eventually duplicate for my own restoration. I'll get into what's on mine and why I'm changing them in a more appropriate place soon but THANKS MATT for sharing.

Looking forward to you getting your seats, windshield and motor and for sure seeing the pictures. I'm dying to know if there's any original upholstery left on those seats or even underneath the seat

covers!!

Question. Do you have a really good head to replace the industrial head with??

Cenark
[ *  ]
I think there is a 3a head mixed in with the other CJ's in storage. Should know for sure in a week or so. My storage is 2 hours away and will be going to get/find parts as needed.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Quote:

have started tearing down the original motor.  When it was removed, it was spitting water out the exhaust.  I have not found any cracks and am starting to wonder if it was actually leaking around a manifold stud since they go into the water jacket.  Going to magma flux test it to make sure there are no cracks that I can't see.  I did find a old repair from a crack between the #4 cylinder and the intake valve.  Also appears to have been resleeved.  The machining of the deck to level out these repairs would explain why I can not find any serial numbers. 

Posted Image

Thanks for keeping us updated Matt and keep us informed. I agree that the previous machine work is the cause the removal of the engine number.

« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.