Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
DJ3A Dispatcher Grills; Headlights and Parking Lights
Topic Started: Aug 26 2017, 01:28 AM (506 Views)
PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Quite a few years ago I ordered some headlight bezels for my 1956 DJ3A Dispatcher. I was pretty disappointed when that they came in because they wouldn't fit! At that time I began looking and asking around and discovered that not all model year DJ3A Dispatcher's are the same

The late Bruce Again who had his own web site jeepsurreygala came to the rescue. Even though he was already sick at the time he put the following information together just for us.

Bruce Agan

not sure if this helps or muddy's the water.

DJ park light bezels and lenses
early  bezels
WO 119204      2 3/4" diameter
used on models cj3B, CJ5-6 475 SW,SD, 2x475 SW,SD, 4x475 SW,SD, 6-226 2x4 SW,SD, 6-226 4x4 SW,SD, 6-226 4WD, 685 SW,SD

early lenses
For Lamp Code (WOA)
WO 119206      2 3/4" diameter
used on models cj3B, CJ5-6 475 SW,SD, 2x475 SW,SD, 4x475 SW,SD, 6-226 2x4 SW,SD, 6-226 4x4 SW,SD, 6-226 4WD, 685 SW,SD

Late  bezel and lenses 
For Lamp Code (KADH)
Bezel   WO 718140   6 or 12V   2 1/4" diamater
Lens    WO 718138    6 or 12V   2 1/4" diameter
Used on models
CJ3B,CJ5, CJ6,  DJ3A,  475, 4x475, 6-226 2x4, 6-226 4wd, 6-226 4x4

AUTOLITE HEADLIGHT  (early)
UP TO 56337-15802
HL  DOOR 
(CHROME)       WO 643732       CJ2A, CJ3A, DJ3A
(BLACK)       WO 640695          CJ2A, CJ3A, DJ3A

HALL HEADLIGHT   (late)
AFTER  56337-15801
HL DOOR (CHROME)
WO 649518   CJ3B,5/6, DJ3A/Surrey
Park lights
up to 56337-14104 
bezel stainless steel      WO 119204
lens                                        WO 119206
after 56337-14103
bezel (chrome)  WO  718140
lens (glass)    WO 718138

1956 park light
bezel
black enamal             WO 910199
stainless steel          WO 119204
lens                    WO  119206

Well to me that didn't muddy the waters at all. I'm putting it here now and in the next few days I am going to get pictures to go along with some of those part numbers.
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's the early model grill on DJ3A #30.

Posted Image

Early headlight bucket is made by AUTOLITE instead of the later models which were made by HALL as previously mentioned.

Here's some pictures of a autolite headlight bucket on a 1956 dj3a dispatcher grill closer up.

Posted Image
that ones been cleaned up, painted, and rewired

Posted Image

The early headlight bezel is distinctly wider and not as deep as on the later models. It's made of chromed steel that could have been either polished or painted black.

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Notice the way the harness goes in through the grommet from the back

(That old grommet has new shrink wrap covering it)

Posted Image

Here's the early type parking light and bezel.

Posted Image

special note this early type parking llight and bezel are 2 3/4" diameter as opposed to the later ones which were only 2 1/4" diameter. The early bezels on these parking lights were stainless steel with either a polished or painted black finish

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
This is out of a 1961 dj3a dispatcher and is hanging on my porch. Recently when working on my 1956 Dispatcher I tore into it a little but so that I could better search for details and differences.

Installed after serial numbers 56337 15801. Those numbers have to put the grill change somewhere in mid 1959.

Posted Image

The later Hall headlight bucket has only one spring inside instead of the two like that are in the autolite buckets. There are other subtle differences in parts and measurements. The wire grommet is different with the wires molded into the rubber instead of just passing through and the ground is bradded to the bucket instead of being fastened with a screw and washer like the earlier autolite buckets.

Posted Image

bucket with trim ring

Posted Image

And this is the late model parking light bezel and lens. This change came after serial number 56337 14504. This was also in mid 1959.

Posted Image

Pay particular attention to the DIAMETER of the parking lights.

6 OR 12 volts...2 and 1/4 in diameter. These newer style bezels are made of chromed pot metal

Both bezels on the later models are chromed pot metal.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Our DJ3A Dispatchers were equipped with dual filament park and turn signal light bulb housings for both early and late styles.

Side by side comparisons show that besides being a different diameter a closer look at the way the bezels are shaped around the screws that hold it on have a subtle but completely different look.

Early parking and turn light and bezel. Uses 1158 6v or 1176 12v bulbs.

Posted Image

A view from the back (and waiting to be re-wired and restored)
Posted Image

The dual filament bulbs for the early fixtures have locating pins straight across from each other

Posted Image

Late parking and turn signal fixture

Posted Image

These later fixtures use a 1154 bulb for 6 volt and a 1157 bulb for 12 volts. On those the locating pins are offset from each other.

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Additional Information

The parking-turn signal fixtures in the early grill style are drilled horizontally. Separate vertically stacked very small screws hold the glass in and the bezel onto the housing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The later grill has the holes in the grill drilled vertically. The same threaded screws that holds the bezel, glass, and housing goes all of the way through and has a nut holding it all tight.

Posted Image

The opening for the bucket is punched straight through with no flange left behind
Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
7" diameter 3 plug sealed beam headlights in either 6 volt or12 volt will fit in either the early Autolite or the later Hall headlight buckets.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Unrelated to grills but here's some additional facts about the bulbs used.

The DJ3A dispatcher early ALA Tail lights used the same tail light rear turn signal bulbs as the early parking and turn signal house on the front did..

The DJ3A dispatcher with later model Halllamp Tail lights used the same bulbs with the offset pins that were used on the later model front turn and parking light fixtures.

A description of ALA, Hall Lamp and other tail lights can be found here.

https://cj3b.info/Dating/Taillights.html

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
With a iPhone it's harder to keep everything in order and almost impossible to edit correctly but there were a few more things that needed better documented.

Here's some more comparisons of the dj3a dispatcher headlight trim rings.

Featured here is the early autolite trim rings. These are chromed but in 1956 I understand they could have also have been painted black

Posted Image

Posted Image

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
And here's the later Hall bucket trim rings. They're a thicker but they are actually chromed pot metal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

As I found out early on these will not interchange with the autolite trim rings. You'll see why if you pay close attention to the measurements, the way they clip on, and the way the screws fit.

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's what I meant when said that the newer (and smaller) parking-turn signal housing had two screws that went completely through the bezel, housing, and grill to hold all three together. These screws are still corroded and frozen in place so I haven't tried taking it completely apart yet.

Posted Image

I may have to replace the REALLY SHORT screws thst hold the bezel and glass on my early housings. (mine seem to be mia at this time)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Again noting that the small bezels are chromed pot metal and the larger early bezels are stamped stainless that could have been either polished or painted black in 1956.

If there's any questions feel free to ask and we'll try to figure it out!

Charles Tate

While I'm at it my 1956 headlight bucket assembly's were pretty rusty. When I took them apart and sandblasted them I then treated and painted each part with cold galvanize spray. I can't afford to get them re-plated and I figure that'll last a long time. Under the hood though that galvanize spray looked splotchy and fake. So I sanded that down some more and painted them grey. The color is still fake and not original but at least they look good to me now. :)

dcwheels
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hi Charles,
That is great information on the lights and grill across early and late DJ's.
The 1964 dj3a I have the what I believe to be original parking lamps. Amber colored, Marked APSO and SAEPD 64.
Could you kindly help me know what bulbs would fit in there.
Thanks and regards.
Dinesh

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hi Dinesh and I'm glad you're back. Let me do some checking and I'll get you. I was kind of thinking that I should find out which amber bulbs would fit these anyway.

also pm sent. I'd like to have a picture of your parking lights if you don't mind.

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Charles, I'm using 1157A for front turn signals in Amber bulb behind original lens, late model. Also, here's a site "for reference", I'm not promoting or connected to them, but they have a very useful and complete, informative list of bulbs...
http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
EDIT TO MY LAST POST

1157A amber bulbs would have the offset pins just like the 1157 clear bulbs.

Here's a picture of Dinesh's 1964 lights

Posted Image

SteveK found replacements for sale at
https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/elect...s-53-71-cj-3b-5

according to KW these are 3" in diameter and do not have a seperate bezel.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.