Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Body Bolts and Paint Questions; A couple simple questions
Topic Started: Sep 10 2017, 09:16 PM (271 Views)
DDddd
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
A few basic questions.

1) in mounting bolts, what is the "step bolts"?
2) all brackets, etc other than footman loops should be body color, correct? While not making a perfect by any means restoration, trying to understand as new. Examples are windshield pivots, tailgate pivots, etc. footman loops and associated hardware should be black from my reading.
3) assuming these brackets should be body color, do most paint them and their hardware seperately, then assemble, or assemble and paint all at once?
4) similarly, bolts, nuts, etc on firewall and body mounts, paint or no paint?

As im getting closer to body work, trying to get my head around it all. I plan to leave the as original body imperfections like spot welds, etc as the bodies were originally made to what I'd consider 'tractor standards' at the time.

As always, thanks!!!!

Scott
Scott Dinkel

1953 (or maybe a 1954?) CJ3B on 1948 Frame / Axles

Being rebuilt like Johnny Cash sang - "One Piece at a Time"

Formerly Known as "The Orange Peel"

Prattville, Alabama
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Scott,
The first time I saw "Step Bolt" in print I had no idea what it was. Google is your friend. Derek added a lot of info here on the 3B Page. Get a beverage and start clicking through all the pictures. You'll find answers to almost everything.
(Hint: Parts Manual!)
http://cj3b.info/Tech/Fasteners.html

Step bolts resemble carriage bolts but the head has a larger diameter
http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_B...?showtopic=2814

While this next link provides info on paint schemes, I've seen too many images where hardware was not painted (could that be driven by a specific year or users adding paint, i.e. military?).
http://cj3b.info/Paint.html

That leads me to believe that some were painted and some were not. I'd like to add I think the footman loops on the w/s and radiator guard are body color but there may be examples that prove me wrong. I've seen other footman loops that were either plated or painted.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B
Bantam T3-C

DDddd
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks Rus. My searches for step bolts had me congused with between carriage bolts, plow bolts, and timber bolts, my head was spinning. The link cleared it up.

Sequencing question for those who have painted - for example the tailgat hinge brackets that appear to be body color - do most paint body and brackets and bolts seperate, then assemble (and touch up fastners if needed) or assemble then shoot paint on the entire assembly?
Scott Dinkel

1953 (or maybe a 1954?) CJ3B on 1948 Frame / Axles

Being rebuilt like Johnny Cash sang - "One Piece at a Time"

Formerly Known as "The Orange Peel"

Prattville, Alabama

oldtime
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Just my own way of doing it but I prefer to paint "all" parts including nuts bolts washers etc. prior to assembly.

Jesse from MN
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
On stuff like the tailgate hinges I rattle can primed and painted the area and the backside of the bracket to fight rust, then bolted them on and painted the whole thing. That way that fasteners got painted and wouldn't be scratched during assembly. It's going to get scuffed the moment you open the tailgate anyways :P

From what I could tell they were put on the body and then painted at the factory. Seemed to be a pretty clear unpainted outline underneath. Whether that was just rust or not over the years I guess I can't say.

-Jesse

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Jesse from MN,Sep 12 2017
08:28 AM
From what I could tell they were put on the body and then painted at the factory. Seemed to be a pretty clear unpainted outline underneath. Whether that was just rust or not over the years I guess I can't say.

My conclusion also. After removing them, I saw the same.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B
Bantam T3-C

derekredmond
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks, you guys. It's an important little detail to discuss.

One note about Google searches (which you can do right from the CJ3B.info home page if you like.) The images on CJ3B.info are not indexed by Google, so an "Images" search will not help you find correct details as shown on CJ3B.info. You need to look at the web pages returned in an "All" search, to find the page with the photo and corresponding information.

This is because I found that many people were searching for images, then just looking through the pictures, or even grabbing and reposting them elsewhere, without even glancing at the accompanying text. CJ3B.info has been designed from its beginnings 21 years ago, to have text and photos work together, clarifying each other. Looking at a photo alone may prove very misleading.

Likewise, an image search done from the Google home page, will show you only photos posted on other websites, which may also often be misleading, even if they were originally grabbed from CJ3B.info.

I realize that not being able to search the photos on CJ3B.info can be inconvenient, but on balance I think that anyone who wants to make sure they are getting correct information, will want to read about the photos they are finding.

Feedback on this is welcome.

Derek

Derek Redmond
CJ3B.info
Posted Image
Derek Redmond
Kingston, Canada
1959 CJ-3B
http://CJ3B.info/About.html

« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.