Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Carter YF 2392sa Carburetor
Topic Started: Feb 25 2018, 05:34 PM (319 Views)
Parker29
Member Avatar
PWells
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I bought a 134 F- head engine that came out of a 57 cj3b. It had a Carter yf 2392sd carburetor on it that the seller told me he had rebuilt but it still would not run properly. Someone said that this carburetor was designed to be run on the dj3a L-head engine. Any thoughts?
PMW
Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains
Early 54 CJ3B OB
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Iím not really familiar with F-head engines so I canít help you much there.

Willys DJ3Aís l-head motors used Carter Carb YF 2392S until they later changed the Carb number to YF 2392SA. The ending letter change from S to SA was likely due to going from a air bypass check ball to become an air bypass check needle but I havenít personally checked to confirm.

Hereís a link to various factory specifications and application of these mentioned and of other Carter YF carburetors.

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/?page_id=979

And hereís a link to CJ3B F-head specific Carter YF Carbureator Service Applications

https://cj3b.info/Tech/Carter.html

Edited by PapaC, Feb 26 2018, 11:17 AM.
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

Parker29
Member Avatar
PWells
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
If I understand the bulletin on the Carter 2392 sa carburetor, it may need a Carter field fix kit no.920339 installed to stop surging problems that may occur when run on the F-Head 134 engine which has a water heated intake manifold.
PMW
Early 54 CJ3B OB

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hereís a link to the actual bulletin that you referenced.

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WO-Service-Bulletin-446-YF-951S-Carb-Surge4.jpg

That says that the Carter field fix kit no.92033 is specifically in reference to a Carter YF 951S. YF 951ís are listed for Willys SW, SD, 4WD TR- 2WD TR & Utility Wagon, Utility Sedan, Maverick 1952-1960.

The carburetor listed for CJ3Bís etc F heads is Carter YF 938 series.

Sorry that I canít be more help but I donít see any mention of kit no. 92033 applying to a DJ3A l-head YF 2392 series carburetor.

Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

Parker29
Member Avatar
PWells
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here is the link you posted earlier

http://www.jeepsurreygala.com/?page_id=979

Willys YF Carter Carburetor Specifications 938, 951, 2467,2392, Solex M 34 PBIC (YF), Solex M 32 PBIC (L head)
PMW
Early 54 CJ3B OB

PapaC
Papac
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Yes. That link does contain information about all of those various carbs:Willys YF Carter Carburetor Specifications 938, 951, 2467, 2392, Solex M 34 PBIC (YF), Solex M 32 PBIC (L head)

All in the way of application, forms and a dealer service bulletin titled ĎTO ALL DEALERS, DISTRIBUTERS and REGIONS: SUBJECT YF 951 CARBURETORS SURGE.í

Each separate dealer bulletin and form from this link is clickable to a new screen in and unto itself and contains specific individual information concerning each of these carburetors.

Charles

Tronicsmasta
[ *  ]
I have a Yf2392s disassembled right now and a YF2932SA on my 63 dj3a. Charles helped me find the SA on Ebay. I will say, it still lagged a bit but it certainly runs a lot better than the original S. If anyone needs pictures to see differences I'd be glad to help.

« Previous Topic · DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.