Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Radiator question
Topic Started: Apr 16 2018, 06:14 PM (189 Views)
Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I decided to have my radiator cleaned before I connected the new heater and it turns out, my core is shot. Looking at some of the options available, I see an Omix-ADA and an all-aluminum radiator. Has anyone used either of these and what are your opinions? I really want to keep the stock look, but neither of these radiators have the stock look, so I may not have a choice.
Thanks!
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

oldtime
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
All 3 of my current Jeep radiators need new cores.

I just plan to bite the bullet and have all of them re-cored.

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I'd love to, but I've been to three different radiator shops and they all no longer re-core. Apparently the g'vmt regulations for dealing with lead solder and water contamination has about put them out of business for old-style radiator repairs/rebuilds.
Edited by Charlie, Apr 16 2018, 06:41 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Been there, done that. I was still in Kansas at the time and I ended up having to use an old fashioned radiator guy in the next town over. Could Atlanta not be a possibility?
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Possibly. One of the oldest shops in Birmingham has my radiator right now, hoping to hear something tomorrow. I'd rather use my tanks on a new core, but if not, Carl Walck lists a nice looking radiator, don't know if it's the Omix-ADA, but the photo of it looks pretty good. Unfortunately, it's showing to be out of stock . May need to give them a call.
Walck's
Posted Image
Edited by Charlie, Apr 16 2018, 07:51 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

spm1us
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Hello, I guess it depends on if you plan to use your Jeep or just show it? From a price point and functionality standpoint, the aluminum radiators are hard to beat. If you're going for a 100 point restoration with date coded tanks, then you will have to shell out the big bucks AND take your chances. The aluminum radiators are not perfect but can anyone tell me of any reproduction parts that are? I wouldn't hesitate to use a QUALITY aluminum radiator and enjoy/drive my Jeep. Spray paint a coat of semi-gloss black on it and you will be the only one who knows if it's original or aftermarket. Just my .02 - Good Luck with your project, Sam Michael Jr, Jax, FL

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Have you used one of the aluminum radiators in a jeep? One of my big questions is, can you mount the fan shroud? From the photos I have seen, it's hard to tell what type of side plates the aluminum radiator has, don't know if I would be able to drill holes for the shroud mounting screws. Also concerned about the top hose mounting, mine is to the left, not centered.
Posted Image
Edited by Charlie, Apr 17 2018, 09:23 AM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Jesse from MN
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Remind me of the approximate dimensions?

I just bought a new radiator from Advance Auto for about $150 for my F100. I bought an oversized one, but could have had a stock 18x18 one for about $130. It is a brass radiator. I searched coupon codes and got 25% off my order get get the price down. Maybe you can do something like that? I has the more original look than the fabricated aluminum style.

-Jesse

Here is an 18x18 Radiator. Could be $131 if you poke around and find a 25% off coupon code online.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/aap-aftermarket-recyc-radiator-rad397/11728706-P?searchTerm=radiators
Edited by Jesse from MN, Apr 17 2018, 12:27 PM.

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
The shop that has my radiator is going to be able to do the re-core. There was some confusion about the core type, they thought I wanted the original honeycomb type core, which has not been available in many years. I'll be happy with a plain straight tube core, as long as it has my original tanks and side frames!
Edited by Charlie, Apr 18 2018, 06:27 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Charlie,
Under the heading of "Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," I suggest coordinating with the guys working on your radiator to let them know about the sheet metal screws running down the side that hold the shroud on. My radiator guy, in Kansas, didn't know (I didn't think and didn't tell him) and he reattached the sides slightly askew and the bottom holes are aligned with the radiator. So I either get another radiator shop, here in Alabama, to redo that or I have to chop off the tips of the screws to ensure they won't pierce the radiator.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Been there, done that! I had the radiator re-cored in my other CJ3B about 20 years ago (guy who did all my company work, gone now or he would have done this one) Several of the screw holes for the shroud were filled with solder. Thought I'd be smart and gently drill them out....the drill grabbed and before I could stop it, I drilled a hole through one of the outer tubes! I had to take the radiator back and tell him what I had done!

I plan to take the shroud with me when I go to pick up the radiator, and if any of the holes need to be re-drilled, I'm going to make him do it!
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Larry (TX)
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Though I can't remember the exact date I attempted to have the radiator in my '53 3B re-cored by a longtime established classic car radiator shop in a nearby town, (it has been in the last 5 years however), the owner told me (just as Charlie mentions above) that the honeycomb style core was no longer available, but he could obtain a newer style core and use my original tanks, but the core was quite expensive. (I've had the radiators in both my '57 GMC 4x4 and a '56 Ferguson F40 tractor I restored re-cored and those jobs ran $537 and $460 respectively, from two separate radiator shops). Before I agreed to have the 3B's radiator re-cored, I checked with Carl at Walck's 4WD and at that time, he was having original style radiators reproduced by an overseas contractor and selling them for a reasonable price. He thought he had sold all of his stock at the time I called, but he checked and had one left on the shelf, that one being what is now in my 3B. At that time, Carl was contemplating not having any more reproduced, but he may be doing that again so I'd call him and check to see. And by the way, that reproduction radiator mated up to the shroud perfectly.

As for the aluminum 3 and 4 core radiators now being sold by the well known hot rod vendors like SUMMIT RACING, etc., I bought one for less than $150 for my '81 CJ7 (that I recently sold), and it fit like a glove. I did the same on a '64 Chevy pick-up I have and it too bolted right in with no problems whatsoever.
Larry Steed
Pearland, Texas
'53 Willys CJ3B
'52 Willys M38
'86 Chevy M1009 CUCV (K5 4x4 Military Blazer)
M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer (2 ea.)
M101 CDN 1/4 ton jeep trailer

« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.