Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Home

Welcome to the CJ-3B Bulletin Board, the discussion forums section of the website CJ3B.info. Everyone is invited to view the postings here, but you must register as a member in order to post messages. The moderator reserves the right to remove items posted. Items may be archived in the Tech Tips section of the website. If you post a tech problem, please follow up by posting the solution when it is found, as it may be useful to other readers. For forums covering other Jeep models, see the bottom of this page.

Search for keywords or phrases anywhere in the CJ-3B Bulletin Board using Google. Enter key words here.

Google
WWW CJ-3B Bulletin Board
You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. This means there are some features you can't use. If you register, you'll be able to post messages and use member-only features such as customizing your profile and sending personal messages. Registration is simple and free.

Join the CJ-3B Bulletin Board!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Instrument light sockets
Topic Started: Jul 4 2018, 01:31 PM (245 Views)
Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I would like to replace the incandescent instrument light bulbs with LED bulbs in my 1964 CJ3B, but looks like I will need to change the sockets. Has anyone done this? Where did you find the blade-type sockets that will replace the bayonet-type that snap into the CJ instrument cluster? Thanks!
Edited by Charlie, Jul 4 2018, 01:37 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Charlie,
I really don't know much about the clusters but, when I read your post and pick up on the fact you have bayonet bulbs and I study the image on the dispatcher gauge:

http://cj3b.info/Photos/Dispatcher/DJ3ASpeedometer/DJSpeedo5.jpg

Where they point out what kind of bulbs go in the instrument, I just looked in my parts manual to the 15-09E GROUP (in mine this is the TELL-TALE LIGHT group) I notice one of the bulbs match: the tell-tale light, i.e. 1 C.P. type G, No. 51.

Everything below is based on your bulbs being No. 51...

I know LED bulbs are available with just about any base - I think this is so you can go back and replace whatever you had with a new LED vs. rip out the socket.

Here is some info on the No. 51:
https://www.jacksonelectricsupply.com/51_Miniature_Bulb_Ba9S_Base_p/b51.htm
https://www.topbulb.com/51-bulb-7-5v-22a-incandescent

Notice the base is Ba9S. Here is a source of Ba9S LED bulbs:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/filter/Stock_Bulb_Number,51,197,9259:

I also like this site for reference (was going to replace the sockets in my parking lights until I discovered how to disassemble them):
http://www.autolumination.com/

They also have LED replacements:
http://www.autolumination.com/otherleds.htm

IF your '64 is a 12V and my bulb info is too ancient, then use this guide:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/215546353/Bulb-Conversion-6V-12V-and-24V

Then use that bulb number and repeat all the above for possibly a No. 53 (or do what I do and read the numbers off the socket!)

Perhaps you picked up on my pattern of looking up bulbs. Then I looked for LED bulb cross reference. That should at the very least give you several options.

Hope this helps.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks, Rus. I did not realize that there are LED bulbs with the BA9S base. Just ordered a 10-pack off e-bay for $5.89 and will see how they work.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Here's another good reference site that I use... http://www.taillightking.com/light_bulbs.htm
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Well, I am disappointed with the Ba9s LED bulbs that I bought, they don't light the dash as well as the standard bulbs. Back to the drawing board!
Edit: Found a different style LED with the Ba9s base, has more LED's in the bulb than the first one I tried, sill see how it works!
This is what I ordered first:Posted Image

Here are the ones I just ordered: Posted Image
Edited by Charlie, Jul 10 2018, 02:15 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Looking forward to hearing what you think about the second type.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
I am just hoping the 2nd ones are not too long to fit into the gauge cluster.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
So, maybe I have found one reason my instrument lights are so dim, can someone confirm that there should be TWO instrument lights in the cluster on my '64?
Posted Image

I want to add an edited photo to identify the sockets, thanks to the info provided by Steve K below:

Posted Image
Edited by Charlie, Yesterday, 1:06 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
On DJ3As which use the same cluster speedo as 3Bs, there are TWO illumination lights, as shown in your picture, one at 11:00 o'clock circled, and the other light should be another bulb 'with a reflector behind it too' at approximately 2:30 o'clock position in your photo, second above the gauge on the right side. My '62 is wired 'both' with purple colored wires for dash lights. BTW, the depth of clearance for your bulb is 1" from the surface of the Casing to the back of the numbered face plate, as measured by the "indicator light cardboard isolators". That will tell you if your LED bulbs are too long or not when you get them. I hope that helps.

As a side note, I added aluminum tape to the inside perimeter walls of the speedo casing, and on the "signal isolator tubes" too, to 'bounce/reflect light' better all around, and I even drilled between the gauges for an added 'third bulb location' to assist my "tired old eyes at night". The third light really helps the odometer/gauges area illumination, but FYI... I am obviously not doing an "original style restoration". I too will have the LED light bulbs. Good Luck!
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I'm too fat to get under the dash! Waiting on the new LED's, will let you know how it goes. Eventually, I will need to remove the gauge cluster and install new fuel and temp gauges, but will wait a while on that job.
Edited by Charlie, Jul 12 2018, 11:06 AM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
The second set of LED's did the trick, plus discovering that there are TWO illumination lights. One of mine was blown, so that's probably the reason the gauge cluster was so dim at night. I used three LED's, two in the illumination sockets and one in the hi-beam indicator. I am pretty sure the amp light must remain a standard incandescent bulb, not sure about the oil light. I don't think I will have any problem seeing the gauge cluster now!
Posted Image
Edited by Charlie, Yesterday, 1:07 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

Rus Curtis
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Yes!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
It looks great and uniform too. Congrats. BTW, did you remove the tube around the high beam bulb to use it for a third light? For what it is worth, I don't think the "oil light" matters, but I'd guess as you suggested about the "amp light". Hopefully neither will be "on" much for you any way. Thanks for the pic of the final results.
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Charlie
Member Avatar
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Quote:

BTW, did you remove the tube around the high beam bulb to use it for a third light?

No, I just replaced the bulbs. I may actually go back and install the first style LED in the hi-beam indicator since it's a more directional type LED, the red indicator is VERY bright now!
EDIT: First style LED was too dim in hi-beam indicator, went back to 2nd LED.
Edited by Charlie, Yesterday, 7:53 PM.
1964 CJ3B
1952 M38 w/M100
M274A2
NE Alabama

SteveK
[ *   *   *   *   *  ]
Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were saying you used the three LEDs for illumination brightness, not the two different functions. Thanks for correcting me.
SteveK
62 Dispatcher
South Florida

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CJ-3B Posts · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Other Willys Jeep forums:

The CJ-2A Page has a CJ-2A Message Board.
There is also a CJ-3A Page Forum.
For CJ-5 and Dauntless V6 postings, see the Early CJ-5 Bulletin Board.
The Old Willys Forum is dedicated to wagons and pickups.
Surrey Gala and Dispatcher Jeeps are under DJ-3A Dispatcher Posts.
The M38/M38A1/M606 Preservation Group has a forum.
For other CJ and military Jeeps, see the g503 Message Boards.
See the Forward Forum for Forward Control Jeeps.
To post ads for other Willys parts or Jeeps, see the WillysTech Buy/Sell/Swap Message Board.
For tech problems with other Willys models, try the WillysTech e-mail list.
The Bantam Trailer forum covers Jeep trailers.