Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Captain SNES. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Strike the Earth 2; The Beardening
Topic Started: Jul 28 2011, 08:12 AM (4,364 Views)
Knight
Member Avatar
Guru of Magic
Admin
Expedition Leader's Log, Day 23: I hope that damnfool duke knows what he's doing. This terrain certainly doesn't look like the mineral rich mountains I was led to expect. Still, the landmarks match my map, and I can't complain about the surface resources. We've made camp at the base of some cliffs, near a small river. Plenty of trees for fuel, and flowing water for power. If this area is even half as rich as the duke's survey claimed, we should be set to make a proper outpost.

Not a sign of wild carnivores anywhere, either. Not that I'm counting on that. I want picks striking earth for temporary shelter as soon as possible. It's too quiet here. I'd almost be relieved to see a panther stalking the hillside. At least I wouldn't have to be worried about what kept them away...

That's right, I'm at it again. I'll be doing a bit of survey this time to make sure this one won't get stalled by a horribly broken map. Magma oceans dumping into the pits of hell tend to kill framerate rather quickly. <.<

I won't bother redoing my introduction to the game, as the few people not familiar with it can glance at the previous thread. I'll repost the important info here, though:
Quote:

Skills we'll need at start
Mining: A big no-duh, here. We'll be digging a LOT. We'll probably have at least two full-time miners. Ironically, this means we can get away with less skill in mining at embark, as it'll level quickly.

Wood Cutting: Someone has to murder all those trees. Again, skill will level, so starting with the full 5 points isn't required.

Carpentry: For crafting furniture early on, and crafting beds always.

Masonry: For making nearly all our furniture once we're established. Also important for fortifications to defend against the goblin hordes.

Farming: Our single best source of food and brewables is underground farming. I like to start with two farmers, then mix them with other important skills like brewing and cooking.

Brewing: What, you want us to drink water?

Someone will be getting assigned to those tasks fairly quickly, even if we don't have someone with the skill. On-the-job training!

In addition, there are a number of skills that are useful but less necessary. The names are fairly self-explanatory: Bowyer, Ambusher (Hunter), Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Fisherman

The crafting skills, which we'll need later: Wood/Bone/Stone/Metal-crafting, Armor/weapon/black-smithing, Gem-cutter/setter

And the combat skills: Axe/Hammer/Spear/Sword weapon skill, Fighter/Dodger/Armor/Shield basic skills, and Marksdwarf/Archer/Ambusher ranged skills.

Then there's the social skills... the majority of them are mostly useless, but a few will actually be needed:
Record Keeper: If we want to know just what's actually in all our stockpiles, we'll need a bookkeeper.
Appraiser: Can't trade very well if we don't know what our goods are worth.
Negotiator/Imtimidator/Judge of Intent: Useful skills for trading and getting us better deals on the crap we want to pass off as 'ethnic stonework'.

Yes, there are other skills, but they're not worth starting with, and I'm not going into them here. Like those medical skills, which are for pansies.

In addition to those listed above, Dwarf Fortress now has skills for pottery and beekeeping. I intend to pretty much ignore the latter entirely, but pottery is useful, should we find ourselves in a location with clay. You can find a complete skill-list here.

Unlike last time, I don't have a location picked out yet. The one I was eyeing initially turned out to be "serene", which would be boring. We're dwarves! We're looking for fun! In any case, everything is up for discussion... within reason. You want to start on the sides of a mountain because there's a volcano? Want to search for the best combination of minerals, regardless of danger? Want to hunt unicorns in the bright serene forests? Put your vote in.

I'm also not going to drive myself insane trying to name every dwarf this time. People can volunteer like before, and I'll simply name dwarves as they distinguish themselves, or do something worth noting. There's no reason to waste audience participation on random laborers, I figure.

SO, who wants in? Step right up! Volunteer to raise a fortress that will dominate the world! Or at least volunteer someone else. We need workers!

Expedition Leader's Log, Day 23: I hope that damnfool duke knows what he's doing. This terrain certainly doesn't look like the mineral rich mountains I was led to expect. Still, the landmarks match my map, and I can't complain about the surface resources. We've made camp at the base of some cliffs, near a small river. Plenty of trees for fuel, and flowing water for power. If this area is even half as rich as the duke's survey claimed, we should be set to make a proper outpost.

Not a sign of wild carnivores anywhere, either. Not that I'm counting on that. I want picks striking earth for temporary shelter as soon as possible. It's too quiet here. I'd almost be relieved to see a panther stalking the hillside. At least I wouldn't have to be worried about what kept them away...

That's right, I'm at it again. I'll be doing a bit of survey this time to make sure this one won't get stalled by a horribly broken map. Magma oceans dumping into the pits of hell tend to kill framerate rather quickly. <.<

I won't bother redoing my introduction to the game, as the few people not familiar with it can glance at the previous thread. I'll repost the important info here, though:
Quote:

Skills we'll need at start
Mining: A big no-duh, here. We'll be digging a LOT. We'll probably have at least two full-time miners. Ironically, this means we can get away with less skill in mining at embark, as it'll level quickly.

Wood Cutting: Someone has to murder all those trees. Again, skill will level, so starting with the full 5 points isn't required.

Carpentry: For crafting furniture early on, and crafting beds always.

Masonry: For making nearly all our furniture once we're established. Also important for fortifications to defend against the goblin hordes.

Farming: Our single best source of food and brewables is underground farming. I like to start with two farmers, then mix them with other important skills like brewing and cooking.

Brewing: What, you want us to drink water?

Someone will be getting assigned to those tasks fairly quickly, even if we don't have someone with the skill. On-the-job training!

In addition, there are a number of skills that are useful but less necessary. The names are fairly self-explanatory: Bowyer, Ambusher (Hunter), Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Fisherman

The crafting skills, which we'll need later: Wood/Bone/Stone/Metal-crafting, Armor/weapon/black-smithing, Gem-cutter/setter

And the combat skills: Axe/Hammer/Spear/Sword weapon skill, Fighter/Dodger/Armor/Shield basic skills, and Marksdwarf/Archer/Ambusher ranged skills.

Then there's the social skills... the majority of them are mostly useless, but a few will actually be needed:
Record Keeper: If we want to know just what's actually in all our stockpiles, we'll need a bookkeeper.
Appraiser: Can't trade very well if we don't know what our goods are worth.
Negotiator/Imtimidator/Judge of Intent: Useful skills for trading and getting us better deals on the crap we want to pass off as 'ethnic stonework'.

Yes, there are other skills, but they're not worth starting with, and I'm not going into them here. Like those medical skills, which are for pansies.

In addition to those listed above, Dwarf Fortress now has skills for pottery and beekeeping. I intend to pretty much ignore the latter entirely, but pottery is useful, should we find ourselves in a location with clay. You can find a complete skill-list here.

Unlike last time, I don't have a location picked out yet. The one I was eyeing initially turned out to be "serene", which would be boring. We're dwarves! We're looking for fun! In any case, everything is up for discussion... within reason. You want to start on the sides of a mountain because there's a volcano? Want to search for the best combination of minerals, regardless of danger? Want to hunt unicorns in the bright serene forests? Put your vote in.

I'm also not going to drive myself insane trying to name every dwarf this time. People can volunteer like before, and I'll simply name dwarves as they distinguish themselves, or do something worth noting. There's no reason to waste audience participation on random laborers, I figure.

SO, who wants in? Step right up! Volunteer to raise a fortress that will dominate the world! Or at least volunteer someone else. We need workers!

Current crew and volunteers:

Dwarves:
Knight - Expedition leader, mason
Jon - Miner, stoneworker
Mike - Miner, cook; reprising his role as "Michelle"
Carmichael - Brewer, farmer, doctor
Mordain - Axedwarf, military trainer
Notty - Cheerleader, Broker, Diplomat, assistant medical dwarf
Nifar - Woodcrafter/carpenter
?GJ - Hunter
Ou Des - Mechanic
JayDee - Jeweler
Zap - Potter
Luke - Woodcutter
Algasir - Bonecrafter
MFD - Beekeeper
Immy - Weaponsmith
Kiwi - fisherdwarf/Axedwarf
FZ - Engraver
Trek - Engraver
Luppy - Milker

Dwarf draftees:

Axedwarf squad 1:
Bullseye
Newb
Draco
Silvers
Cyrus
Kiwi

Mining Crew:
Randa
Spriteless
Ryu

Craftsdwarves:
Meagen - Stonecrafter
Anna - Clothier
Belle - Adamantine Strand extractor
Yue - Armorsmith

Other:
Nefi - Herbalist
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ou des
Member Avatar
Clockwork Contraption
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My vote is for a densely forested area with an aquifer.

As for a job I want to be an animal trainer.

Just Jon
Member Avatar
The Sexy One
I vote for head Miner man again. Someone has to make sure these shortbeards keep on track!
No fanfare, no special effects... Just Jon
Posted Image
Out of Context Quote: "God DAMN these electric sex pants!"

Grandmaster Jogurt
Member Avatar
Too few posts for a custom title
HUNTER

Assuming you go to an evil area full of elephants.

But I guess even if not.
Posted Image
100+7
Nothing but goodness could come from two friends getting naked

Notty
Member Avatar
Annoying Little Boy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Want to reclaim my position as social skiller-er!

Nifar
Member Avatar
Sage
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Brewing, if you don't mind. Mostly because it's the closest to a bartender that those tiny bearded heathens have.

Carmichael Micaalus
Member Avatar
Secretary of Maternal Relations
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'll take the same position I filled last time if it's still open.
There used to be an image here telling you to vote, but then Photobucket, the image site made to allow you to do third party hosting, no longer allows third party hosting without throwing a shitload of money at them... and I can barely afford to eat. So no you get some text of me bitching about it, yaaay! Also, go vote.
Everyday I'm tumbl'n.
"This bitch is makin' me all Paru..." ~Hang in There, Kogasa-san!

MFD
Member Avatar
THIEF!
Fuck you Knight I want to be a beekeeper.
Oceans rise, empires fall

I need to know
If the world says it's time to go
Tell me will you freak out?

Knight
Member Avatar
Guru of Magic
Admin
Ou, Aquifers are out. I hate punching through them, and it's just an unnecessary annoyance and artificial slowdown at the start of a game. I file this under the "ford the river" category.

Nifar, anything else you'd be interested in? Car sorta has seniority on "bartender" around here. <.<

MFD, I'll probably mess with beekeeping a bit later on. I just don't properly know how it works yet.

Edit: Also, reminder. We need a fortress name. Or I can just go with whatever mashing the random button a few times gives me. That's what got us "Catknives" last time.

MFD
Member Avatar
THIEF!
Our fortress name shall be...

Proletariat Compound for Greater Dwarfdom.

Also 5 Woodcutting, 2 Marksdwarf, 3 Beekeeper.
Oceans rise, empires fall

I need to know
If the world says it's time to go
Tell me will you freak out?

LuppyLuptonium
Member Avatar
Transcendent
I can be that guy who moves that cage with the bear in it but just the cage leaving the bear. Guess mine will be on the job training.

And for name "The Base" seems fine.
Posted Image

mordain
Member Avatar
Codewalker
I'll be that dwarf that does that awesome thing. You know the one.

Also I don't recall the fortress name creator having the word "Proletariat", and it definitely can't do something as simple as "The Base".
Live and learn - or die and teach by example.

Algasir
Member Avatar
Green hair!
I'm up for whatever.

Knight
Member Avatar
Guru of Magic
Admin
mordain,Jul 28 2011
12:03 PM
and it definitely can't do something as simple as "The Base".

... you know, now that I think about it, it might be able to do this.

Grandmaster Jogurt
Member Avatar
Too few posts for a custom title
Crater in Training
Posted Image
100+7
Nothing but goodness could come from two friends getting naked

JayDee
Member Avatar
Gamemaster
Author
Any Gemcutters/bookkeepers yet?

If so, I'll take engraving.

Immolation
Member Avatar
Eternal Flame
calling dibs on the black smith/armorer/weapon smither.

As for the fortress name.... Yeah, I don't have any good ideas.
"How much time do you need?"
"Whatever you can get me. When the EMP goes off-"
"When it goes off, I'll be fine. It only affects computers, remember? And I, am a motherfucking ghost"

Ou des
Member Avatar
Clockwork Contraption
Knight,Jul 28 2011
11:03 AM
Ou, Aquifers are out.

The beards of your ancestors wilt in shame.

In that case I suggest a desert with at least one level of clay.

Edit: And coal or lignite deposits. Those damn caravan's never bring enough fuel.

Knight
Member Avatar
Guru of Magic
Admin
So far:

Ou - Animal Trainer
Jon - Miner
?GJ - Hunter (unfortunately, elephants seem oddly rare these days)
Notty - Cheerleader
Nifar/Car - Brewer/farmer?
MFD - Beekeeper (eventually)
Luppy - Random Laborer #487
Mordain - Awesome thing (Militia Captain?)
Algasir - Squall (whatever...)
Jaydee - Bookkeeper/gemcutter
Immy - Blacksmith
MikePB - Miner

And Ou, I'd have to embark and use dfhack to reveal the map to confirm coal/lignite presence. Normally, I just make sure to embark with someplace with plenty of trees to murder, but someone is set on dooming us before we start, it seems. :P

MikePB
Member Avatar
Geekomancer
Dammit, MFD beat me to Beekeeper. Mainly to spite Knight :P

I think I'll go for Miner, though.

And I'll say "Boozy Dome of Hate" for the name.
My Writing Blog
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Posting · Next Topic »
Add Reply

ZB BoHeGeHa by OverTheBelow
based on the IPB skin by Tom B