Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

KUNANALLING 1898 W.A.

Welcome to Gold Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

The Gold Detecting Forum has a wealth of information on Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Gold & other minerals plus other subjects such as
Navigation Tools & Map Reading.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to register: Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Inverter Stick Welder; Weighs 3 kilos.
Topic Started: Sunday 4-10-2015, 15:59 (544 Views)
Nightjar
Member Avatar
Contriibutor Extraordinare
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hopefully this welder will live up to expectations and be able to run from my generator when travelling.
Weighing only 3 kilos it will be very handy for emergency repairs. Will save the hassle of battery welding.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281811762978 ($129.00 P&H free)

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Peter,

Hope your genny is big enough as they require at bit of power to run it.
Have heard a 2kva may work if using no bigger then 2mm rods @ 80 amps!!!
Also the genny has to be pure sine wave otherwise you will blow the circuitry on the welder.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Pete, last trip my mate cracked the chassis on his van. we tried to get a welder in Leonora. after tracking down one we tried it before we went back in the bush. my genny is a 2.4 yammy. as soon as I tried to strike an arc the genny blew its fuse, several times ,same result. we ended up battery welding it. back home I was looking for a welder that would work with the genny and kept being told that I would need at least 8-9 kva to run a welder. I checked on google and found a video of a guy running a small gasless mig of his 2.4 yammy. the trick was to have something running on the genny to bring the revs /amps up before trying to strike an arc. hope this info helps.
All the best,
Peter

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FWIW the unit I have residing (permanently!) in the back of the truck is a Lincoln "weldanpower 150+"
Two output voltage ranges, 70-150a welding current.
It will run a 10g. rod all day and the 240v. (regulated) power side is 5kva.
The engine is a B&S Industrial 11hp., ie ball bearings, CI cylinder liner, etc.

Probably a bit of overkill, bought it for repairs when we were opal mining and it just sort of stayed in the truck. Was bloody pleased it was still there when we sheared a stub axle in the van, outback in the rough country behind Halls Creek!
Michael

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Michael, Grinding & preparing, aligning the stub axle and rewelding it within one millimetre of specs, laying on your back in a remote steep sided creek bed with the flies & ants, then driving 2500km's home is a true story I have told many times.
To top this story off, Mike is 3 score & 10++ yo.

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Ted, Have a 3.2kva Honda Inverter Generator, have done a bit of reading and would seem the welder I just bought will replace my dinosaur Handyman transformer welder OK, however will have to stay in the shed. :-/
Generator won't have enough grunt.
What are your views Michael?

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Peter. I don't think it requires great power to run a weld.
A 12g. rod probably only requires around 1800w. (20v.x90a.) to run a good penetrating welded join.
What it does require though, is engine "grunt" to overcome the initial arc strike (instantaneous) compared to governor lag which can allow revs to drop and voltage sag.
Those small diesel welder units with a heavier flywheel overcome this to good effect.
I know the Lincoln fairly barks (11hp) as the arc is struck then settles back to run the weld.
Possibly an even worse case is when it is a petrol genset plugged into a 240v. welder. (voltage drop in the lead etc.)
Michael

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Pete, try it with a heater or grinder plugged in and running.
All the best,
Peter

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Yes Pete, That is an option, as Mike says it is the initial engine lag that causes the loss of arc, so with a load already applied and engine peaking it maybe all OK.
Neil (Honda Midland) assures me that the EU series generators have over and under voltage protection so no damage is likely to gen set or attached.

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of course I have a welding need solution............ :D
But you certainly would not want to be tagging along to the non gold areas we normally end up in! :blink:
Michael

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As Silverback suggests and Neil supports I reckon that would answer the governor lag.
In ancient history we had a tractor pto mounted welder. Pto revs ~500rpm, welder 3000rpm, 6:1 belt driven ratio, tractor never blinked when an 8g. rod was hit. (building up track rollers/idlers etc.).
I think its about inertia of rotating mass.
Michael

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Have just tried the little welder plugged into a home GPO using a 2.5 s/s rod.
Very smooth weld with ample penetration.
Will now give the genny a service and probably give it a run next week and try and get the welder to lay down a run. :unsure:

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Happy to say the answer is YES the little inverter welder performed perfectly with a little experimenting.
3.2KVA Honda https://www.hondashop.com.au/product/industry_mining/petrol-generator-eu30is/ running full revs (econ switched off)
(Whew! Have these increased in price.)
400W grinder plugged in and running.
Using a 2.5 Weld All rod, struck and arc, ran for approximately 5 seconds then stopped, genny overload warning light illuminated.
Stopped genny to reset overload.
Restarted.
Unplugged grinder and struck another arc, run about 10 seconds, tripped again.
Was about to give up but thought I'd try another experiement. ;)
Genny running, econ switched on (engine revs reduced)
Struck an arc and revs increased and rod began flowing and hey "BINGO" ran a full rod.
Fitted another rod and burnt that one. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Don't ask me why genny went out on overload with it set to full revs and yet works perfectly running on "Economy" and revving up when rod flows and kept burning for duration of full rod?

Posted Image

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Pete, would it be only needing revs when rod first strikes an arc and then settling down as your are running the weld. I wonder how it would be with the grinder running at first then switching it off once running, it would be a pain in the rear tho having to do that all the time. My yammy 2.4 has eco run going all the time so would be interesting to see how it goes.
All the best,
Peter

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Don't need the grinder or any other power device to get the revs up Pete, running the genny on "Econ" as soon as I struck an arc the
revs increased and the rod burnt smoothly.
When you're free I'll drop around and plug the welder into your Yammy and try and get a rod flowing.

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No worries mate, I,ll get the kettle on.
All the best,
Peter

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like your set up sure is a goer now.
When we get over to the meet will have to arrange a "weld off'
Fillet, butt, vertical.....wait for it.....Overhead!

Any suggestions on rods for ht/alloy steel? I had some "magna weld"? Commonly used to weld cracked bandsaw blades etc., but cant find a local source.
Did my axle repair with conventional low hydrogen, peined between runs and kept fairly cool.
Michael

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Good morning Michael,
Looks like there's going to be a shoot out at Davsgold's Corral in 2016?? :D
Long time out of the game and a little rusty on choosing polarity.
During my apprenticeship a tradesman gave me a tip that has been used through the years. If you have a gap to fill run a rod in the handpiece and hold another in other hand and puddle it to fill gap with one run. Then finish off with several more single runs.

Found this bit of info that helps.

Determine polarity by the metallic electrode (E6010)

1. Clean base metal and position flat
2. Set amperage for selected electrode
3. Adjust to either polarity
4. Strike an arc. Hold normal arc length and standard electrode angle and run a bead
5. Listen to the sound of the arc. Correct polarity, with normal arc length and amperage, will produce a regular "crackling" sound. Incorrect polarity, with normal length and amperage setting will produce irregular "crackling" and "popping" with an unstable arc
6. See above for characteristics of arc and bead when using metallic electrode on correct and incorrect polarity
7. Adjust to the other polarity and run another bead
8. Clean beads and examine. With the wrong polarity, the electrode negative, you will get many of the bad bead characteristics shown in Lesson 1.6
9. Repeat several times, until you can quickly recognize correct polarity

With regards to selection of rods, the little bit of welding done in the shed, my choice is 2.5 CIG Weld All.

CIG have a very informative site here;
http://www.cigweld.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Electrodes,%20Rods%20and%20Fluxes.pdf

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You lost me just after "Determine polarity" hehe.
All the best,
Peter

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
It's all AC/DC to me!!!!!!LOL :X :X :X
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Michael,
Have you given your new toy a good workout?

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
No Peter, only a few trial runs using 2.5 gp electrodes establishing that the Honda eu20i had sufficient power to run it.

A rule of thumb is multiply the required amps for the electrode by 30 (open circuit welder voltage) which gives the wattage required from the generator.
I set the amps at 60 (60 x 30 = 1800 watts) and with the eco throttle off a decent weld bead was achieved. However, the penetration would be a little on the weak side and the generator would probably trip after a fairly short time.

Running 2.0 gp electrodes at 55 amps (1650w.) should handle most emergency repairs, and that is all I require

Am certain the truck is going to appreciate 120kg. less in the tray after I remove the Lincoln 180a. welder/5kva generator! :)
Michael

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Interesting Michael, as mentioned above my 3kva Honda trips on full revs but if I select eco it burns the rods perfectly?

Yes, your little truck will sigh a relief and Chris will be excited with the extra room to pack a few more needs? :-)

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Peter & Mike,

I find my 3.2kVA genie (max surge 3.5kva) handles the 1.5 rods (low hydrogen) when using my little Lumik portable 160 amp inverter welder
set on 60 amps without any reduction revs when sticking the arc & commencing the run.
As Mike has mentioned it comes down to what penetration that's why I have the amps up a bit for those rods.
I had to use it on my last trip up at Nullagine when my Wheel Carrier Frame cracked due to bottoming out on a creek crossing.
The temporary repair got me to Newman when heading for home where it was fully repaired.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Do you know you can fill gaps when welding by holding another rod in other hand and feeding it into the run as the other rod burns?

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bush Mechanic · Next Topic »
Add Reply

All Photos & Materials displayed on this site are COPYRIGHTED & remain the property of the Poster & Gold Detecting