Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

KUNANALLING 1898 W.A.

Welcome to Gold Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

The Gold Detecting Forum has a wealth of information on Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Gold & other minerals plus other subjects such as
Navigation Tools & Map Reading.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to register: Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Damper
Topic Started: Monday 23-04-2007, 18:18 (692 Views)
Gypsy
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Australian Damper
This is a traditional bread baked in the coals of an open fire or in a Dutch Oven (huge lidded cast iron pot) but nowadays we bake it in a normal oven. Of course there are as many variations as there are days in the years but the basic recipe is as follow:-
Ingredients

4 cups self-raising flour
3/4 - 1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
Method

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and mix in the sugar.
Rub in the butter with your (clean) hands until a fine breadcrumb texture is achieved.
For a well in the top of the flour, pour in the milk and water, and mix well with a knife until the dough come clean from the sides of the bowl.
Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and silky, like a baby's bottom.
Shape into a mounded loaf, (some people cut a deep cross in the top) and bake in a preheated oven, 200 c / 400 F, for 25 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 180 c / 375 f and cook a further 10 - 15 minutes until done. The loaf should be a light golden brown colour and sound hollow when tapped.
If you are "game" try cooking it on a camp fire; nothing beats that extra smoky flavour, especially using Australian Eucalyptus wood to give it that special something. If you are cooking in an oven at home, try putting a few Gum Leaves in the over to smoke as your are cooking the bread.
Damper is very similar to Irish Soda Bread, and probably developed from recipes brought over by Irish immigrants/convicts.

Variations of the basic recipe are seemingly endless, but you could try substituting other liquids, such as beer for a darker colour/flavour, or varying the ratio of milk to water, and so on. Try adding more sugar and butter and some dried fruits for a dessert damper. Basically use your imagination.

If you are cooking on an open fire you could try wrapping the dough in aluminium foil before you place it in the coals, or even try wrapping the dough around a stick and cooking suspended over the flames.
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better.
Don't wish for less problems,wish for more skills.
Don't wish for less challenges,wish for more wisdom.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Contriibutor Extraordinare
The secret to cooking damper or scones while out camping is to use the same mixing as Gypsy explains and the same principal as the roast chicken and vegies.
Using a cold camp oven, grease the inside with a light coating of your choice, be it olive oil, butter or margarine, place your damper or scone mix in the oven.
Place oven on cold ground and cover with hot coals.
Scones are ready in approximately 20 minutes, damper in about 35. Practice makes perfect.
By placing the oven on bare ground you do not get the thick crust on the bottom.

Happy camping.
Peter

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Jon
Member Avatar
Both those recipes sound great,i throw a handfull of mixed fruit in with mine,just to be a little bit different.

Cheers Jon.
CHEERS JON
Goanna Gold Adventures WA

Deleted User
Deleted User

hey kris,

Thanx for the recipe I have not had damper since I was a kid at camp, and I did not know how to make it, but know I do and I have just made some and thats some good damper.

Thanx. ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Gypsy
Member Avatar
Administrator
Yummo.....
I personaly liked the taste of the beer damper,
nice and yeasty.
my daughter Jessica made her own damper recipe
it was a very nice choc chip damper :D
Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better.
Don't wish for less problems,wish for more skills.
Don't wish for less challenges,wish for more wisdom.

Deleted User
Deleted User

choc chip why didnt i think of that that would be the best must try that next time.thats twice in one night you have helped me out thanx. ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Slightly different version of Gypsy's Damper

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Scoop of marg/butter
1 cup milk
Cup of water or beer
Mix the flour, salt & marg into a bowl.
Add milk to make a soft dough then add water/beer stirring with wooden spoon until you have a non sticky mixture.
Knead lightly on floured board until smooth. Shape into round loaf.
Place in camp oven and cover with sheet of alfoil before fitting lid. (Keeps the ash out)
Place on ground and completely cover with cold ash.
Now shovel hot coals completely covering camp oven again.
35 minutes later you have damper.
There are many additives you can experiment with. eg: raisins, cheese, baked beans, jam, vegemite, sardines etc etc.
***Note*** If you do add extras that have a liquid content extend cooking time by 10 minutes.
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Outdoor Cooking · Next Topic »
Add Reply

All Photos & Materials displayed on this site are COPYRIGHTED & remain the property of the Poster & Gold Detecting