Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

KUNANALLING 1898 W.A.

Welcome to Gold Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

The Gold Detecting Forum has a wealth of information on Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Gold & other minerals plus other subjects such as
Navigation Tools & Map Reading.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to register: Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Remedy for Mossie Bites; I've Tried It
Topic Started: Thursday 3-03-2011, 08:56 (755 Views)
ShootingStars5
Member Avatar
Contriibutor Extraordinare
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi There Folks

With the plague of mossies around I was given this handy hint to stop the itching. I don't know about others but everything I have used (and I am really allergic to the mongrels) seems to work for a little while and then the fire and itch comes back with avengence. Particularly around 2 or 3am!

Just rub on toothpaste - don't think there is any specific brand - I just used Colgate. I got eaten yesterday late afternoon and tried the toothpaste and it worked all night. Just had to put some more on one of the welts this morning. So will definitely be using that in the future.

Cheers
Lyn
See a Shooting Star tonight - find a nuggie tomorrow!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Hi Lyn,
Have you ever tried the cream Kath put us onto, supplied by a lady in Cue? There is a post with details here somewhere.
It is magic, flies and mongrel mossies keep clear.

All the best.
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

ShootingStars5
Member Avatar
Yes Peter

I have some of that cream - bought it from Victoria - not cheap.
It does work really great when you put it on!!! Didn't think I needed it in full sunlight in the afternoon. Will be ready for the mongrels next time.

Cheers
Lyn

Marc_Susan
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi Lyn
Marc and I just got back from Yalgoo 2 days ago the mossies were really bad due to the amount of rain they have had in the last month (the country side is so green) and we have the cream from Cue but you will also need the commercial mossie spray with deet and lots of it we used 1 full can in 4 days!!

Susan

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Does anyone have an answer to how mozzies and flies survive in remote areas during the long hot summers?
You can walk all day and not see any wildlife or a carcass in which the flies can breed.
Couple of showers of rain and the mozzies are chewing on us, the frogs appear and we know damn well the flies are regrouping to feast on we prospectors.

And a special note for Kath & Lyn, the friendly Tarantula's crawling up our chairs. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted Image

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

nuggetykath-68
Member Avatar
Contributor extraordinaire
EEEEEKKKKK, PETER YOU CAN KEEP YOUR RUDDY SPIDERS :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P LOL

CAROL, WHAT DO YOU THINK OF PETERS PET SPIDERS??????? :'( :'( :'(

IF I 'MEET' A SPIDER THAT BIG WHILST DETECTING I AM NOT SURE HOW I WOULD REACT!! :'( ^o) :huh:

ACTUALLY I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED THE SAME THING ABOUT THE FLYS & MOZZIES DURING THE HEAT,
PLENTY OF WATER AROUND & LOTS OF TREES & YES I COULD UNDERSTAND A 'FEW' SURVIVING!!!!

CHEERS,

KATH
Be kind to others & smile.

ShootingStars5
Member Avatar
The first thing I noticed when I came to Australia (many moons ago) was that no matter where one stops out in the middle of nowhere there is either a beer can or bottle and FLIES!!!!!

Saw a good t-shirt once about SA - the state of excitement - forty million flies can't be wrong ^o)

That fly cream I bought from Victoria (made with Rosemary and Cedarwood oils etc is really great at keeping them and the mossies at bay for at least 4 hours. I know Angie at Cue was selling an awful lot of it too.

Cheers Lyn

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Some handy products here to choose from.

http://fivepointfive.org/natural-mosquito-repellent-does-it-work-we-test-7-kinds-of-repellent/

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

wildcatj
New contributor
[ * ]
Just back from trek fast west Qld at Hungerford border fence pub there is sign
"No single Mosies in Hungerford
all married and breeding well"
hate them and now the midges (sandflies are out in full war zones!)
have fun folk wildcat J

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bush Chemist · Next Topic »
Add Reply

All Photos & Materials displayed on this site are COPYRIGHTED & remain the property of the Poster & Gold Detecting