Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

KUNANALLING 1898 W.A.

Welcome to Gold Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

The Gold Detecting Forum has a wealth of information on Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Gold & other minerals plus other subjects such as
Navigation Tools & Map Reading.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to register: Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Getting Tired Of Sleeping In A Swag; Bought Myself A Van
Topic Started: Friday 23-03-2012, 20:05 (1,909 Views)
Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Folks,

Over the years of travelling the outback my camp mainly consisted of a swag, lean to or tarp to keep the
rain off & the simple luxury of a fridge to keep the beer cold & a couple of solar panels to charge the battery
while the fridge was running.
Later I modified my troopy with a pop-top roof & use to sleep in there when only camped for short periods
& while on the road.
Well seeing all my prospecting mates living in luxury after a hard days swinging & hitting the sack in a
comfortable bed after a few ales & a chat around the camp fire while my body was telling me the aches &
pains needed a few more coldies!!!!LOL, my mind said enough is enough so I've joined the clan of silly
old farts & caravan*#!!>??.....& a couple of months back I bought a little 10 footer Cabana Van & spent
the period up to now renovated it to my liking by fitting a new gas cook-top & repositioning the fridge.
For auxilliary power threw in a couple of 130 amp hour deep cycle AGM batteries coupled in parallel to
give me sufficient 12 volt DC power for long periods of camping.
I have also setup a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter which will run off the vehicle battery while travelling
to supply 240 volt AC power to the 3-way fridge & a CTEK 5 amp battery charger connected to the van batteries
to top them up if necessary & this inverter will be used while camping to supply all my 240 volt AC needs.
Some will say why are you running your 3 way fridge off 240 volts AC & not the 12volt DC supply
when travelling!!!??
If you do your sums you will find that a 3 way convection fridge will run more efficient through a 240volt
inverter when on the road, then direct 12 volt supply from the battery; & as a plus... the inverter can also
be used to run a battery charger to charge your van batteries as well.
Your vehicle alternator will need to be rated to at least 90 amps continuous running to supply the load to the
inverter while it is running to keep your start battery fully charged.
I picked up the inverter on eBay for $135.00.
I also have wired the van with low power LED lighting to reduce battery consumption.
Also raised the suspension 4 inches to help getting across those tricky creek beds!!!!!
For those not familiar with the Cabana van set-up...both the front & rear single bunks swing into a
vertical position when traveling & swing out when in use. This action also raises the roof to stand up
height, so when extended the van is 15 foot long & when folded in for travelling....10 foot long.
The Table folds down & the seat cushions lay flat across it to make a double bed if required.
At present I will use my existing Solar Power setup on my Troopy to keep them charged (all particulars
on my web-page which you can find on my post signature), until I can setup a separate system for the van.
Had to get a gas compliance certificate as the rules have now changed significantly recently with regard to
caravan gas appliances so make sure your van is legal!!!! ^o) ^o) for insurance purposes.
It is now fully insured, & ready the go.....so no more setting up tarps & swags in the pouring rain
& cooking over a portable gas stove while trying to keep dry!!!!!!LOL :X :X :'( :'(

P.S.
I now have fitted 2 x 120 Watt solar panels to the power system to keep the batteries fully charged
while camping also an ELCB (residual current device) safety switch fitted into the 240 Volt AC circuit .

Here is some pics of my little mobile abode:
Gas cooking Setup.
Posted Image
Dining Area & Rear Sleeping.
Posted Image
Wash up & Cupboards.
Posted Image
Fridge & Cupboard Setup.
Posted Image
Side View [Front & Rear Bunks Lowered].
Posted Image
Side View[Roof Lowered]
Posted Image
Dual Spare Wheel Upgrade.
Posted Image
Rear View[Roof Lowered]
Posted Image
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aumate
Contriibutor Extraordinare
Hi Ted,

You are spoiling yourself...... you will not know what to do with all that room.

Now all you need is the electric blanket, Satilite TV, a little gas heater to keep you warm on those cold
mornings while having that first cuppa and breakfast. Plus some carpet on the floor to keep the feet warm while
walking around the van. (The large carpet samples, so you can just pick them up and give them a shake every
now and them.)

Cheers Laurie & Roz
Edited by aumate, Friday 23-03-2012, 20:53.

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SiiGGH,, another old bushy gone soft. :-/ :-/ ;)
All the best,
Peter

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
HA!!HA!! Speak For Yourself!!!! B) B) ) B) B)
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

davsgold
Member Avatar
Looks like a good setup Ted, nice and comfy.

cheers dave
NAPFA member, APLA member, PMAV member

nuggetykath-68
Member Avatar
Contributor extraordinaire
Hi Ted, this looks agreat set-up!! Good to have a few luxuries for sure. :D :D :D
If you are doing the 'full-hog' like Laurie & Roz suggest you will also need an air-con! :huh: :D

Anyway Ted it is good you have bought this van & I bet you are as keen as mustard to go out bush!! :huh:

Who is going to do the 'van cleaning, cooking etc' !!!!! ??????

Don't forget to take an alarm clock as you will sleep deeply!! :P :P :P

Enjoy & good luck for a good detecting season. ;)

Cheers,

Kath
Be kind to others & smile.

Jon
Member Avatar
Looking good Ted
You wont know yourself in that. ;) ;)
CHEERS JON
Goanna Gold Adventures WA

Dhufish
Member Avatar
Dhufish
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ted,

well done mate on an excellent setup, your body will thank you - I hear what you say re powering the fridge on 240v, My testing is ongoing ATM - using .3 amp to realise -12 to -14C empty with the next step down reading -7 to -8 (a bit low). The fan mod you suggested works fine.

Cheers PeterD
Enjoy the sights, beauty, & sounds of the Bush.
Relax in the company of others out in the weeds.

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Kath,

Looks like at present I'm the cook/bottle cleaning/washing maid!!!! as SHMBO still hasn't
made up her mind yet to go prospecting with me.
Maybe now with the added comforts she may change her mind. :ermm: :ermm: :ermm:
As for air-conditioning it looks like opening the windows & dropping the pop-top screens
will have to do as I do not intend lugging a big gennie to run it.
I have a little Honda 600VA that I carry for emergency battery charging if needed. ;) ;)
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

ShootingStars5
Member Avatar
Onya Ted
Great setup for you.
I know you will do a great job of the housework as I saw how you run a tidy ship with the other camp setup you had!

Will be sooo much easier for you preparing your meals and you will get a great night's sleep so that you will be able to do all that detecting and digging!

Cheers
Lyn
See a Shooting Star tonight - find a nuggie tomorrow!

detrackozi
Member Avatar
Ted

You real have moved out of your swag now and don't think you will ever get back in it. ;)

You sure have put some :wub: into it and now you will just have to give it a test run and John and I know just the track the one you sent him with is and me down make sure you have your vid attached to the front side and back as we all would like to see what you leave behide :'( :'(

Well done
http://detrackozi.com/ updated 27-12-2011

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Have seen Ted's new home from home and as usual he has done some first class fitting out and will be packing the swag away for the grandies. :D
Will follow with great interest how he will be running his fridge on 240V while travelling.
We all have experienced the heavy drain on the battery while travelling using an element type fridge. (12/14 amps is common) so Ted's method may be a winner.
With the pure sine wave inverters now reduced in price the method is even more encouraging.

Cheers
Peter
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

monoandnan
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Ted
Watch out for Jon mate, he might roll the ends in while youe asleep ^o) ^o)
Cheers Mono
Goanna Gold Adventures
Such is Life

Jon
Member Avatar
Hey Mono
I wouldnt do a thing like that to poor old Ted :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Would be funny though aye. ;) ;)

David that track would be an excellent test for it ,cause it cracked my chassis .
CHEERS JON
Goanna Gold Adventures WA

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
He might have some fun trying it as they lock into the down position & can
only be released on the inside!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) :P :P :P
Also you gotta watch out for those roo-shooters......they can be deadly!!!!!!!! :huh: :huh: :huh:
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Biggest Kev
New contributor
[ * ]
Good move Ted, I to need a comfortable abode after a long days swinging and digging.

Cheers Kev

freshwater
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
LOL when i heard the vans brand name all i could think of was this At the Copa ....... Copacabana, guess that will stick. Hope the chassis is up to the dirt tracks. Nice layout no going back now softy.
Regards
John

ShootingStars5
Member Avatar
:D :D :D :D :D
See a Shooting Star tonight - find a nuggie tomorrow!

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Update on the van.
Since it is difficult getting 13" tyres in the bush have upgraded to 14" tyres & rims.
I have removed the existing A-Frame assembly as it was under strength when getting
across those difficult creek crossing and using 50mm x 75mm x 3mm wall thickness
box tubing & with the help on my son-in-law now have a much stronger & more rigid
A-Frame & chassis assembly which should now make it more off-road capable.
See pics below.

New A-Frame Assembly
Posted Image

New A-Frame Assembly
Posted Image

Underneath Chassis Bracing
Posted Image

14" Rims & Tyres
Posted Image
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

narrawa
New contributor
[ * ]
Quote:

If you do your sums you will find that a 3 way convection fridge will run more efficient & use less 12volt DC
load through a 240volt inverter then direct 12 volt supply from the battery; & as a plus... the inverter can also
be used to run a battery charger to charge your van batteries as well.
You'll actually use more power converting 12v to 240v......believe it or not, but your pure sign wave uses more power than the older type inverter as it has more filtering to process to give you your pure sign wave.
If the fridge uses say 10Amps on 12v direct....it will use 10+Amps through the inverter.

Also.....
Quote:

ELCB (residual current device) safety switch fitted into the 240 Volt AC circuit .
RCDs dont function on inverters or generators.
The RCDs function is primarily for when your parked up in a van park, where the 240v supply is tied to earth. Meaning it will function should one of your class 1 electrical devices fails. Your generator or inverter is not tied electrically to earth like mains 240v.
Your c/van/camper when connected to mains 240v, is classified as one class 1 device. Class 1 device = appliances with three (3) prongs and functions with the RCD...class two (2) normally double insulated = 2 prongs and does not rely on the RCD.
The short circuit part of the RDC will function with a short or overload...but not earth leakage.
Been there and done that....what a nightmare. Problem was....earth leakage caused by faulty air-con....kept tripping the RCD.....yet all functioned well while being run off the generator... Honda EU20i.

Edited by narrawa, Tuesday 30-07-2013, 22:02.

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Narrawa,

Thanks for your comments.
Good to see you posting here on the forum from time to time.

The RCD is connected to the van 'Mains' 240volt AC circuit & not the 240volt AC inverter circuit
for protection at powered van sites.
I was aware of the 'earth leakage' as you stated when using the inverter or generator.
Both circuits are completely isolated from each other to prevent accidental switching
which could damage the inverter!!!!!
For the fridge running off 240volts through the inverter as to 12volts direct from
the van batteries , I wasn't concerned about the current load as I only use it while traveling
& the load is handled by the vehicle alternator & keeping the van batteries fully charged
when the van battery charger is in use.
This method of running the fridge on 240volts AC has been proven by others to run the
fridge more efficiently then using the 12volt supply. When camping I only run it on gas.

I have amended my original post so as not to be misleading.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

narrawa
New contributor
[ * ]
Quote:

This method of running the fridge on 240volts AC has been proven by others to run the
fridge more efficiently then using the 12volt supply.
Hi Ted... Just something else to think about while using this method....air-flow past the fridge vents while traveling.....the 240v/12v side of the 3 way is a heat transfer element. The original idea in its self was not very well thought out by the manufacturers in my opinion for using the 12v method while travelling. Yet the idea doe's work, so credit must be given for the original concept.
Also, the 12v element on my 3way is much lower in Wattage than the 240v element, and the 12v element housing is welded to the 240v housing, poor means of heat transfer, especially while in motion.

I did contemplate this some time back, but the idea of having an unprotected 240v supply in the event of an accident, didn't gel with me. In the event, my rescuers would be unaware that my vehicle could potentially be live.

My idea was to run AC cable to the hitch, a small AC lead then to the multi stage battery charger in the van to charge the batteries. Very cheap and simply setup...but highly dangerous.

Talking gas....i paid $48 for a 9kg bottle today in Leonora.......it use to be $39 from the same gent. We only use gas for cooking now days, my 3way van fridge has been turned into a pantry...most befitting and no modifications needed. ;)

Top little vans them Cabana's, iv a mate who has one, and almost bought one myself till i tried to sleep in the pod....i didn't quite fit length wise. :ermm:

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
To help in removing heat from the element, I have fitted 2-140mm 12volt exhaust fans similar to
those used on desktop computers adjacent to the evaporator element venting to the outside plus
a small fan inside the cabinet to help circulate the air around the cooling element.
I have found that this lowers the fridge temperature by a couple of degrees particularly when in
high ambient temperatures.
I'm not a tall person so the sleeping arrangement works well with me!!!!
The inverter 240volt supply is in the van & that is supplied via a 60amp rating twin flex cable
(8mm wire) running to the vehicle (to prevent voltage drop) & plugged in at the tow hitch to
the vehicle start battery.
I have a 250amp rotary switch in the van to switch the 12volt supply from either the vehicle
while traveling or the van while camping.

Battery Charger,Power Board & Solar Regulator.
Posted Image

Inverter,Rotary Switch & Battery Box [The Second Battery is on the left side of the van]
Posted Image

Fridge Exhaust Fan Setup
Posted Image

Fridge Circulating Fan
Posted Image
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah but have you got a machine wot goes "ping". :D :D :D
All the best,
Peter

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
No........but I've got one that goes.....beep..beep!!!!!LOL :blink: :blink: :blink:

BTW Pete.....How's the repairs going on your van going????
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ongoing mate,ongoing :-/ :-/ .Got to wait for a spell of good weather to rip the back off and have a look.
All the best,
Peter

Hook
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
The van looks ideal Ted. How will she go off road ? The wife and I just did a trip and we're both sick of tents and tarps. We have a camper trailer but we're over that too. Now we're looking around for an off road van. $'s wise, youch!!!

Regards

Rod

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Rod,

It handles pretty good as I have done a couple of trips off-road prior to replacing the A-Frame
plus I get reasonable fuel consumption too.
When these vans were manufactured they were mainly designed for use on the black stuff,
hence the lighter chassis construction & that was why I upgraded it to something more solid
to stand up to those conditions & added a bit of ground clearance as well.
Being light in weight (1 tonne loaded) you hardly know it it behind you when traveling.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Members,

During the last 2014 trip I noticed the van was flexing a bit when progressing off-road over undulating
terrain causing the outside wall panel alongside the front side of the door frame to start to crack, so decided
on a complete renervation of the chassis (I had only beefed up the front A-Frame to strengthen the front towing
end previously) to eliminated this movement.
Using 75x50x3mm box tubing & with the help of my son-in law with the welding, a new chassis & cross members
has been fitted.
Also fitted a new set of support stands & weatherproofed the underneath flooring with bitumen paint, so I hope
this will finally solve the off-road problems!!!!
Pic Below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Great when a plan comes together Ted, you should be travelling well next season.

Cheers
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

silverback
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Good work mate.That should fix the little bugger. :D :D
All the best,
Peter

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ted.
Those short slipper springs don't help in smoothing out the ride.
On an older Viscount pop top we had, in addition to the A frame/chassis modifications similar to the ones you have done I replaced the slipper springs with much longer ones from a Falcon "one tonner" ute (Longreach I think?)
Designed for a 1t. payload they really transformed the ride of that old van.
Michael

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion & I will take that on-board & look at fitting them in the near future.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

freshwater
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yer id have to agree with boobook, going to the effort to redo the underneath I would have fitted rebound springs not slipper.
But a good job there Topcat.
Regards

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Members,

Have been doing a bit more work on the van interior & have removed the shelf above the sink & built & fitted a two door cabinet.
Not painted as yet but will be soon.

Posted Image
Edited by Topcat, Thursday 12-04-2018, 11:24.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ted, you must be very pleased to have modded a basic low cost Cabana van to perform as well as the new generation of 70+k.$$ compact off road units.
Some of those owners would have to be envious!

Maybe I could suggest one last improvement, and that is to get rid of the 3way fridge and replace with an Engel compressor unit.
Even with additional air circulation fans, the 90l. Dometic 3way in our Getaway always struggled in hot weather plus 9kg. of gas in around 20 days.

An Engel 85l. van fridge fitted as a perfect size replacement, cold as in all ambients, a current draw of 2.5a @ 12v. your energy use will be around a very manageable 30a.h/day
There is a slight hum as the unit cycles but certainly not annoying.

As we have found, it makes a perfect partner for the Trailblaza :)

Michael

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Mike,

Some sound advice & yes I'm looking at going down that track & the Engel ST90e 80 litre
upright is a possibility with a few mods to make it fit as it is wider then the 3-Way albeit 20mm
& as you say the current draw is minimal.
Have seen reviews that the construction of that model has some flaws (door hinges weak & breaking
when subjected to vibration), compressor very noisy ect.
Combined with the 60 Litre Trailblaza & the 30 ltr Waeco (as a freezer) that I carry the 3-Way
is only used as a coolbox during the night hours.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes Ted, the hinge setup in that model Engel is only in the plastic corners of the door.
Mine did let go, the Tanami track saw to that.

Cut and bent some heavy al. corner straps, self tappers into the plastic frame and no further problems.
Also had problems with the door pin jumping out, made a clip arrangement for the bottom of the door which actually helps the all round sealing.

Like the Trailblaza, the fridge part never misses a beat. But structurally, they sure were not Aussie tested prior to release.
Having said that, it is the only alternative to the 3way and the mods (if required depending on use) not difficult to carry out.
Michael

holentheroad
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi there,
Just a word of warning perhaps. I had/bought an upright engel a few years back to replace a three way fridge in my caravan, and whilst it was very good it was incredibly noisy! Drove me batty (more batty) It may have just been the model, or maybe something else altogether but worth looking at.
Kind regards
Peter

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Peter,

Yes I've been told the STE90 80 litre runs noisy.
What model is yours?
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Finished Cabinet

Posted Image
Edited by Topcat, Thursday 12-04-2018, 11:23.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Namjim
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Topcat,

The finished cabinet looks good...
As does the chassis rebuild ...
How did you go with the fridge ????
We have been looking around for a small van/ camper .....
to setup for bush work and a bit more comfort....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim
APLA Member. A bad day's prospecting beats a good day's work anytime

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Jim,

Still looking at replacing the 3-Way fridge with a compressor unit as previously posted but waiting
for the right one & as stated the Engel 80 litre may be the one, but also the smaller 50 litre is a possibility
as I don't have to modify the 3-Way fridge space as I will with the 80 litre.
Besides with the Trailblaza & the Waeko I have plenty of freezer space already available.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

greybeard
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
You couldn't make a couple of slide in shelves in the same space to fit your existing fridges in? Save buying a new fridge.

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Greybeard,

For one the Trailblaza is a permanent fixture in the back of my Troopy, & the Waeko is only temporarily stowed in the van
when on the road.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

holentheroad
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi, Sorry Ted missed your post.
Since sold the fridge, too noisy and can't remember the actual model.
Peter

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Sadly my 25+year old Trailblazer fridge has finally given up the ghost as the compressor has died & it is not an economical exercise to replace.
So have now I bit the bullet, dug deep into the cookie jar & bought an EvaKool 85ltr fridge freezer complete with a roll out slide out base & it's
now fitted in the rear of the Troopy.
This model has 3 separate compartments & can be used as both a fridge & freezer or as a fridge or freezer. The 3rd is a dairy compartment.
Very economical to run as consumes less then 2amps when on low speed economy mode.
For the time being the van 3-way fridge will be just used as a cool box to defrost the frozen stuff!!!
Posted Image
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Members,

With everybody getting the gear & vans ready for the upcoming season & some members finding
some repairs needed I finally bit the bullet & took some advice to improve my little vans suspension
for a softer ride, ditching the slippers & giving her a load upgrade to 1.5 tonne so I can carry some extra beverages ect.ect
to wet the whistle around the campfire after a hopeful successful days swinging.

Posted Image

My upgraded axle & brakes will be ready to fit in a couple days time, then off to the Transport mob to
make all things legal.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks good Ted, will give the old girl a much easier ride.
When I replaced the springs in our old Viscount (earlier this thread) I made the rear shackle mounts about 75mm longer and mounted a shock absorber at about 30deg. off vertical from the chassis rail.
I also removed a couple of leaves without losing load carrying capacity.
Was very happy with the result.
Michael

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
The final assembly with new brakes.
I've over slung the axle to give more ground clearance to the van.

Posted Image
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
You have done a first class job there Ted.
One extra job you could do in the future, mount your pins up in your lathe and drill and tap for grease nipples. Much easier than having to knock out the pins annually to give them a lick of slippery stuff.

Cheers
Peter
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not wanting to be pedantic Ted, but unless you are never going on corrugations an overslung axle is something I would now never do.

The way I see it, you have a curved spring pack with a wide (twice axle width?) flat plate on top with U bolts clamping the spring pack to the axle underneath.
No matter how tight the U bolts are, the plate is only going to contact the spring on the outside edges, there is going to be a gap in the middle where the centre bolt is. When the spring deflects it flattens and effectively loses the tight edge contact with the plate until it assumes full curvature again with an associated stress on the U bolts
At the same time, the axle is pushing up at the centrebolt location, the edges of the clamp plate forming 2 fulcrums creating a bending moment through the spring centre.

All this happening several times/second over corrugations, something has to give.
In my case (on our first van) it was the complete spring pack, all 6 leaves broken through the centrebolt.

Some of the earlier model Hylux 4x4's had overslung axles, with a specially designed spring carrier block to prevent damage. They also had parabolic leaf springs which function the opposite way to conventional

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Michael,

Interesting comments you have made on over slung axle setup as I did some research prior to doing this &
nothing came up on what you have mentioned happening.
I agree that the contact of the backing plate tends to be more at the edge of the backing plate, so I must have been
fortunate not to have this happen with the slippers as the van did some long miles off the black top with the overslung configuration
trouble free.
I will take that into consideration of underslinging the axle.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Ted, Michael,
Anything to do with projects are always of interest.
Just did some reading and it's about 50/50.
(1)There are several things to consider, the thought of the danger of losing the axle if everything goes pear shaped as opposed to it being contained inside the springs.
(2)The axle beam is no higher so only the chassis is lifted which may in turn effect your awning, step into van, mud flaps etc.

Couple of links here you may or may not have seen;
https://www.pressreader.com/australia/motorhome-caravan-trader/20160501/281522225312745

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=30485

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Only speaking from personal experience then some serious thought about the cause.
I always seem to have a probable overload situation with vans, too many kitchen sinks'
Certainly hope you have no problems Ted.

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Peter & Mike,

When I went into checking on the suspension configuration the crew at Trailer Parts here in WA where I got the axle, springs
& brake assemblies told me first off there is no difference in suspension ride on over slung configurations apart from the extra height gained,
which now keeps the van level with my tow hitch.
On reading the comments on the links Peter has posted it seems to be a common practice on vans where extra ground clearance is wanted.
As for U-Bolts mine are HT steel & I would expect the load rating is well above what the van is carrying.
Something very drastic must have happened where that incident with U-Bolts failing & I can only suspect wrong metal or loose nuts!!!
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Well today the van past final inspection & is now upgraded to an ATM of 1500kg which now will allow for those extra
goodies to be carried on trips to the goldfields.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

boobook
Member Avatar
Contributor plus
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What size rubber do you have under her Ted?

Last time I weighed our van it was 1845kg. loaded.
You may have noticed it has the same rims/tyres as the truck towing it, 750-16 x 8ply on split rims. If I don't have at least 55psi in them the shoulders scrub inner and outer on both wheels.

Sure sign of under inflation at that load, tyres are rated 110 but would be near max load capacity.
Never blown a tyre, but spiked plenty!!

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Michael,
14" 185 Lite Truck Tyres rated 1700kg on a single axle & I'm running 40psi pressures.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image

Nightjar
Member Avatar
That is one regret I have with our caravan. Only after I had signed, sealed and ordered the van did I find that I could have had matching wheels & tyres.

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Place Your Pics Here · Next Topic »
Add Reply

All Photos & Materials displayed on this site are COPYRIGHTED & remain the property of the Poster & Gold Detecting