Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

KUNANALLING 1898 W.A.

Welcome to Gold Detecting. We hope you enjoy your visit.

The Gold Detecting Forum has a wealth of information on Prospecting & Metal Detecting for Gold & other minerals plus other subjects such as
Navigation Tools & Map Reading.
You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click here to register: Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why do You Tube videos keep buffering?; Computer freezes every few seconds.
Topic Started: Thursday 14-06-2012, 07:21 (636 Views)
Nightjar
Member Avatar
Contriibutor Extraordinare
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When attempting to view You Tube videos, computer buffers every few seconds?
Can anyone help?

Peter
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wallace6
Good contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hello Peter, I'm no computer wizz but I think it's not uncommon. I get the same thing sometimes when trying to view video over the internet. Think it has something to do with the speed of your connection. This site may interest you it's called save tube. Just copy the url on the video you want to watch on youtube and paste it onto the box where it says vid on savetubes site and it will automatically download it to a chosen file on your pc, then you should be able to watch the video without that annoying buffering. The link for savetube is http://www.savetube.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com . Hope this works for you. Neil.

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi Peter,

Neil is spot on with the buffeting. If you are browsing the internet the viewing speed of videos on the net
depends mainly on your internet connection, your random access memory (RAM) & the speed of your CPU.
When viewing u-tube videos a temporary file is setup on your operating system hard drive which stores
the video file as you are watching it. If your system is fast enough it will store the video file in advance
as you watch it so you see it without interruption, but if it is a slower system/ internet connection, then
the download speed of the file to your PC will be slower so then you get the interruptions.
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Thanks fellas,
Have had a long ongoing battle with Telstra, pay for ADSL+ and only get about 1500kbps download.

Peter
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

beepinpete_WA
prospector
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Peter

Mate i had the exact same probs with bigpond, paying for ADSL+ but was only getting crappy speed
so i dumped them and went over to iinet, cheaper and flat out speed of 3700 kbps.

Pete

Topcat
Member Avatar
Administrator
One other thing that affects internet speed is the quality of the line (i.e is it a new or old
phone line connected to your house) & the distance from the exchange you are linked to.
The further away the possibility of slower speed!!!!!
Cheers,

Ted

Posted Image
www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

Nightjar
Member Avatar
Yes Ted,
That's what Telstra keep bleating that I'm 3 1/2 kilometres away from the exchange and this is causing my slow speed?
Don't know anything about CPU or RAM so will just have to live with it.

Cheers
Peter

Good luck & safe travels
Peter

Posted Image

beepinpete_WA
prospector
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Peter one thing that was slowing my connection down heaps was i use a
cordless home phone, and i had the main one plugged in and also the other
second one plugged in to the extra socket in my bedroom, once this second
one was unplugged my speed was a lot better.

Hope you can get it sorted as it is very annoying when trying to
watch a good gold video on youtube.

Pete B)

wildcatj
New contributor
[ * ]
know all a bit old news to most but appreciate the buffering ideas -
TELSTRA -don't bugger around after initial call for slow internet 2nd call straight to Telecommunications Ombudsman -have 14 days to act - I live remote on old copper line -more excuses than "who stole the last chocolate"? finally after having war went to TO -bingo "admittance by Telstra their exchange was overloaded and nothing on the books to improve -So action -Telstra sold me a FAST BROADBAND SERVICE which we pay for monthly for mega things -at first 6 years ago yes was speedy Gonzales now slower than OLD DIAL UP -Telstra HAS REIMBURSED ME 6 MONTHS INTERNET SERVICE AND REDUCED BY $20 A MONTH THE SERVICE - so my good friends go for the throat -(if your car was performing like this you would scream) the satellite has been launched but absolutely no date till 2017 ??? to switch on --don't mess with an opalminer!! Go for all folks --If you performed in business like this huge public company you would have be up for a royal commission .

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Subject Info · Next Topic »
Add Reply

All Photos & Materials displayed on this site are COPYRIGHTED & remain the property of the Poster & Gold Detecting