Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Johnnys Amusements. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Introduce Yourself here!; New Members
Topic Started: Mar 25 2011, 02:53 PM (2,124 Views)
Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hi to all reading this from Johnny's Amusements. Please feel free to make your first post in this section to say Hi.
JOHNNY'S AMUSEMENTS 114 GORGIE ROAD EDINBURGH EH11 2NR

www.johnnysamusements.co.uk
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stevelancett
Member Avatar

Hi everyone my name is Steve and i have a few hobbies. I have a 1957 Lincoln thats nearly restored. I also have a 1968 Airstream Caravel thats perfect and still in use. Also have a 1974 Transit Camper van used for all sorts and i have 12
Fruit machines at present from between 1977 up to 1995

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
stevelancett
Mar 27 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi everyone my name is Steve and i have a few hobbies. I have a 1957 Lincoln thats nearly restored. I also have a 1968 Airstream Caravel thats perfect and still in use. Also have a 1974 Transit Camper van used for all sorts and i have 12
Fruit machines at present from between 1977 up to 1995
Thanks for joining up & welcome to the board!

mabby2000
No Avatar

Hi, I'm the one who used to run an arcade in yeovil from 1998 to 2001.
I'm very intrested to read about jonny's history! once a chain of arcades..... (i've always wanted to own a chain but now's not good timing yet!)
still like proper classic fruit machines an i would fill half a arcade with 'em!

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
mabby2000
Mar 27 2011, 10:42 PM
Hi, I'm the one who used to run an arcade in yeovil from 1998 to 2001.
I'm very intrested to read about jonny's history! once a chain of arcades..... (i've always wanted to own a chain but now's not good timing yet!)
still like proper classic fruit machines an i would fill half a arcade with 'em!

I HAVE filled half the arcade with oldies! Have you seen my Retro Section Video? If not, link is below. Thank you for joining & welcome to the forum. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ign7CUi2mY8

streakseims
No Avatar

Well you probably know Me Im Buddylove4000.

sounds like a good collection of cars there m8

temple
No Avatar

Hi All

My name is Mike and ive been a big fan of Arcades from way back when i were a wee nipper :)

Retro is the way to go ^^

Mike.

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
temple
May 2 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi All

My name is Mike and ive been a big fan of Arcades from way back when i were a wee nipper :)

Retro is the way to go ^^

Mike.
Hi Mike & welcome to the forum. If you (like me) believe Retro is the way to go, then you must visit the arcade sometime!

MAGIK
Member Avatar

YOYO! hello everyone from mad Mr MAGIK.

Glad to see the only arcade I pay any attention to has gone into cyberspace and now has its own forum. Lets set this place alight with some hot gossip!

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
MAGIK
May 20 2011, 06:55 PM
YOYO! hello everyone from mad Mr MAGIK.

Glad to see the only arcade I pay any attention to has gone into cyberspace and now has its own forum. Lets set this place alight with some hot gossip!
Hello & welcome to the forum. Your input is most appreciated! ;)

garynic
No Avatar

Hi
I used to work in Edinburgh back in the 80's for Johnnys entertainments.
I was the manager of the Bonnyrigg, Gt Junction Street and Portobello arcades. I knew the original owner Claude Cooper and am very pleased to see a Johnnys forum.

does anyone have any more history of why it all went wrong. I remember clearly when Claude died and all the changes brought about by his daughter when her and her husband took over.

any old staff members from those days ?

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
garynic
Aug 25 2011, 07:56 AM
Hi
I used to work in Edinburgh back in the 80's for Johnnys entertainments.
I was the manager of the Bonnyrigg, Gt Junction Street and Portobello arcades. I knew the original owner Claude Cooper and am very pleased to see a Johnnys forum.

does anyone have any more history of why it all went wrong. I remember clearly when Claude died and all the changes brought about by his daughter when her and her husband took over.

any old staff members from those days ?

Hi Gary & welcome to the forum. Please can you tell me more about your role in Johnny's, especially the Portobello shop as I used to run this one before it was demolished & rebuilt as houses. Have you read the Johnny's history thread? Is the info accurate? Thank you for joining!

garynic
No Avatar

hi
I started in Bonnyrigg in 1982. the shop was a prize Bingo then with a small arcade of about 10 machines. It was easier to get a licence from the council for a bingo than an arcade. I had left school and moved to Edinburgh with my parents as my mum Mary was manageress of Leith walk arcade/bingo. We were very good friends of George Cooper who was the area manager. My brother Ken worked in the pool hall at Musselburgh above the Hayweights.
I remember going to court with George and Claude when we fought to get the full arcade licence for Bonnyrigg. It took a long time and I believe it was the last branch to be granted the licence.
my mum moved to Nicolson Street and was there when the Berwick head office was relocated to the basement.
I was given the other two shops (promotion?) and when I was in Portobello it was used as the drop off point for all the takings on collecting day, I think because of the big office. vi was on the desk in those days and a lovely lady called Mary from Joppa ( I think)
Claude had his sights set on making the Spanish city at Whitley Bay the Las Vegas of the north, and I believe most of the Scottish money was syphoned off down there. he sadly died about 1986/87 and His daughter Katherine took over. New ideas and all that stuff. george moved over to Fife and the new manager was a guy called Billy Warner. He was a bit of work really and I never really liked him or working for him. I left in 1989 but always wondered why they have all closed.
If I can be of any more help just ask.
Gary.
Edited by garynic, Sep 1 2011, 09:17 AM.

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
garynic
Aug 31 2011, 10:05 PM
hi
I started in Bonnyrigg in 1982. the shop was a prize Bingo then with a small arcade of about 10 machines. It was easier to get a licence from the council for a bingo than an arcade. I had left school and moved to Edinburgh with my parents as my mum Mary was manageress of Leith walk arcade/bingo. We were very good friends of George Cooper who was the area manager. My brother Ken worked in the pool hall at Musselburgh above the Hayweights.
I remember going to court with George and Claude when we fought to get the full arcade licence for Bonnyrigg. It took a long time and I believe it was the last branch to be granted the licence.
my mum moved to Nicolson Street and was there when the Berwick head office was relocated to the basement.
I was given the other two shops (promotion?) and when I was in Portobello it was used as the drop off point for all the takings on collecting day, I think because of the big office. vi was on the desk in those days and a lovely lady called Mary from Joppa ( I think)
Claude had his sights set on making the Spanish city at Whitley Bay the Las Vegas of the north, and I believe most of the Scottish money was syphoned off down there. he sadly died about 1986/87 and His daughter Katherine took over. New ideas and all that stuff. george moved over to Fife and the new manager was a guy called Billy Warner. He was a bit of work really and I never really liked him or working for him. I left in 1989 but always wondered why they have all closed.
If I can be of any more help just ask.
Gary.
Thank you for replying. This information is so interesting to me! Just to let you know, the final Johnny's (The one which I run in Gorgie) Is about to undergo a major refurbishment. This can only be good news for the last remnants of a once massive business. Refurb is due in October. I will post some before & after pictures. Any more snippets of information you may happen to have about Johnny's will be most welcome here! Cheers, Steve.

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
Also, do you remember the electrician called Steve? Or do you remember Morgan? Both worked in the 2 Leith Walk shops. I was on very good terms with George Cooper also.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · New Members · Next Topic »
Add Reply