Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Johnnys Amusements. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Johnny's Amusements History; A breif description of the history of Johnny's Amusements
Topic Started: Mar 26 2011, 01:50 AM (1,947 Views)
Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
Johnny's Amusements was once one of the bigger operators of amusement arcades across the UK. They were especially big in the North of England and all over Edinburgh, Fife & surrounding areas. At around the end of the 80s the founder of Johnny's, Claude Cooper died & the company was broken up. All of the Edinburgh arcades were taken over by someone else and one by one they all closed down or were sold. This arcade which I run myself is the very last Johnny's left in existence and as Johnny's was a major part of my youth I hope to keep it on the go at all costs. As you will probably be aware, these days amusement arcades are completely dead places with very few customers. My arcade is no exception to this and is also very quite. A unique Retro Section provides many good memories of days gone by.
JOHNNY'S AMUSEMENTS 114 GORGIE ROAD EDINBURGH EH11 2NR

www.johnnysamusements.co.uk
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

garynic
No Avatar

Point of interest
Did you know? Johnny was the name of Elsie Coopers father.He was a traveling showman Elsie was married to Claude and so the name stuck. Claude Alan Cooper owned the C A Cooper corporation and some arcades were fitted out with carpets engraved CAC.

garynic
No Avatar

Edinburgh arcades were in Nicolson Street, Dalry Road, Ferry Road, Leith Walk x 2,Gt Junction Street, Portobello, Musselburgh, Gorgie Road, & Bonnyrigg. Johnny's was the biggest in the city.

Nicolson street was the head office after relocating from Spital near Berwick upon Tweed.

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
garynic
Sep 1 2011, 06:27 AM
Point of interest
Did you know? Johnny was the name of Elsie Coopers father.He was a traveling showman Elsie was married to Claude and so the name stuck. Claude Alan Cooper owned the C A Cooper corporation and some arcades were fitted out with carpets engraved CAC.
Thank you so much for this very interesting information. ;)

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
Do you know anything of the history of the two white polar bears which can still be seen on my arcade sign today?

damo0666
No Avatar

wow i didnt know johnnys used to be a big chain arcade i thought it was just a one of arcade owned by you, i didnt know it came from a chain good on you for keeping it going if im ever up there i will be sure to pop in, or i will come on the next jackptty meet if there is another to johnnys amusements
HTID

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
damo0666
Dec 23 2013, 02:30 AM
wow i didnt know johnnys used to be a big chain arcade i thought it was just a one of arcade owned by you, i didnt know it came from a chain good on you for keeping it going if im ever up there i will be sure to pop in, or i will come on the next jackptty meet if there is another to johnnys amusements
You will be most welcome! ;)

Alanmar
No Avatar

Johnnys Entertainments was a two part company scotland and England the English Part was run by a man called Kenneth which included a large Arcade in Morecombe the Arcades in sea houses were run by Claudia Houghton RE Cooper and her then Husband Michael Hougton until they divorced it was then split in two
The Northeast part was bought out by Kenneth and all was left was the Scotish arcades and the cheque cashing business which was run from the office in Leith Walk
Katherine and her husband Gary ran the company and Carol just did her horse riding stuff and being a wife to her husbanf Freddy Shepherd jnr
Edited by Alanmar, Jan 12 2014, 04:47 PM.

Johnny's Amusements
Member Avatar
Administrator
Alanmar
Jan 12 2014, 03:26 PM
Johnnys Entertainments was a two part company scotland and England the English Part was run by a man called Kenneth which included a large Arcade in Morecombe the Arcades in sea houses were run by Claudia Houghton RE Cooper and her then Husband Michael Hougton until they divorced it was then split in two
The Northeast part was bought out by Kenneth and all was left was the Scotish arcades and the cheque cashing business which was run from the office in Leith Walk
Katherine and her husband Gary ran the company and Carol just did her horse riding stuff and being a wife to her husbanf Freddy Shepherd jnr
Thank you so much for the information. It really is interesting to me to know the full Johnny's history. Any more comments/information would be most welcome. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Johnny's History · Next Topic »
Add Reply