Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Lawlolawl. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

If you wish to view the old forums for archival reasons, please click here.

Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Blue Jays have made a blockbuster trade
Topic Started: Jan 11 2014, 01:11 AM (44 Views)
xubb
No Avatar
Club DJ
MIAMI -- The Blue Jays have made a blockbuster trade with the Miami Marlins that will drastically revamp Torontos roster. Toronto has acquired shortstop Jose Reyes, left-hander Mark Buehrle and right-hander Josh Johnson from Miami as part of a mega-deal, a person familiar with the agreement said Tuesday. The person confirmed the trade to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams werent officially commenting. The person said the trade sent several of the Blue Jays top prospects to Miami. According to other media reports, infielder Emilio Bonifacio and catcher John Buck have also been traded from the Marlins to Toronto. Those reports say that in return, the Jays would send a package to Miami that includes shortstops Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavarria, major-league starter Henderson Alvarez and catcher Jeff Mathis. Left-handed pitching prospect Justin Nicolino will also be sent to the Marlins in the deal along with outfield prospect Jake Marisnick and minor league right-hander Anthony DeSclafani to the Marlins, according to multiple reports. Marisnick was ranked second among the Blue Jays prospects by Baseball America earlier this week, while Nicolino was ranked fifth and Hechavarria was eighth. "Its a good day to be a bluejay!" tweeted Toronto slugger Jose Bautista. When reached by The Canadian Press, a spokesperson for the Toronto Blue Jays declined comment. The deal gave an immediate boost to the Blue Jays, who have not reached the playoffs since winning their second consecutive World Series in 1993. Toronto went 73-89 this season and finished fourth in the AL East for the fourth straight year, again falling short in a division that includes big spenders. The additions of Johnson, Buehrle and Reyes will address several roster needs Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos hoped to resolve in the off-season. Torontos 2012 season was marred by a series of injuries that devastated its pitching, particularly the starting rotation. By the end of the regular season the Blue Jays had lost the services of starters J.A. Happ (fractured right foot), Drew Hutchinson (right UCL sprain), Kyle Drabek (torn right elbow ligament) and Dustin McGowan (Plantar fasciitis, right foot). Toronto also lost relievers Luis Perez (torn ligament in left elbow) and Sergio Santos (right shoulder inflammation) to injury. All six pitchers had been placed on the 60-day disabled list. Further, starter Jesse Litsch didnt play at all in 2012 as he recovered from surgery on his right shoulder. The Blue Jays infield also required some tinkering. Second baseman Kelly Johnson is expected to leave as a free agent and Escobar, the teams incumbent shortstop, had been roundly criticized after he wrote a homosexual slur on his eyeblack in Spanish. Johnson, who led the NL in ERA in 2010, went 8-14 this year with a 3.81 earned-run average for the Marlins, who endured a dismal season in their new ballpark and began dismantling the team in July. Johnson was limited to nine starts in 2011 because of right shoulder inflammation. He was named an all-star in 2009 and 2010, the year he led the NL with a 2.30 ERA and finished the season 11-6 after signing a four-year contract worth US$39 million. Buehrle was a major free agent signing for the Marlins in the 2011 off-season, signing a four-year, $58 million deal on Dec. 7. He compiled a 13-13 record in Miami, with a 3.74 ERA and 125 strikeouts. In his 13-year career in the majors Buehrle has 174 wins, 132 losses, a 3.82 ERA and 1,521 strikeouts. Buehrle also pitched MLBs 18th perfect game, retiring all 27 Tampa BayRays hitters he faced on July 23, 2009. Reyes hit .287 with 40 steals in 160 games. Bonifacio finished this year with 30 runs, 11 RBIs and 30 stolen bases while batting .258 in a injury-shortened season. In 2011, he had 78 runs, 36 RBIs and 40 stolen bases with a .296 batting average. The Marlins have a long history of payroll purges, and in their 20 seasons they have reached the post-season only twice, as wild-card teams in 1997 and 2003. Both times they won the World Series. Johnson is owed $13.75 million next season. Reyes has $96 million left on a deal expiring in 2018. Buehrle has $52 million remaining on a deal expiring in 2015. The stunning agreement came less than a year after the Marlins added Reyes, Buehrle and closer Heath Bell in an uncharacteristic $191 million spending binge as they moved into a new ballpark. The acquisitions raised high hopes, but the Marlins instead finished last in the NL East. The latest paring of salary actually began in July, when the Marlins parted with former NL batting champion Hanley Ramirez, second baseman Omar Infante and right-hander Anibal Sanchez, among others. Bell, the teams high-profile bust, was traded to Arizona last month. Under owner Jeffrey Loria, long the target of fan acrimony, the Marlins have usually been among baseballs thriftiest teams. Management pledged that would change with the new ballpark, but team officials were disappointed with attendance in 2012, and revenue fell far short of their projections. Even so, the blockbuster deal came as a shock. The players involved must undergo physicals before the trade becomes final. Giancarlo Stanton, the Marlins precocious slugger, wasnt involved in the deal but wasnt happy about it. Stanton said he was mad about the deal "Plain & Simple," he tweeted shortly after the news broke. The swap was easier for the Marlins to swing because of their longstanding policy of refusing to include no-trade clauses in contracts. Customized Emmanuel Stephens Jersey . The six-foot-four 296-pound lineman played 11 games this season, mainly as a backup and in short yardage situations. Customized Chandler Jones Jersey . In one sense hes a perfect fit for this Toronto roster. He moves extremely well without the ball, which will help diversify Torontos predictable offense. Hes a standout rebounder and passer, which as a starter helps offset the fact that Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan are terrible in both areas. http://www.chiefsteamstoreonline.com/Chiefs-Tyson-Jackson-Nike-Jersey-Ct-40.html . Also, Alexei Klimov of Russia underlined his world champion status in the 25-meter rapid fire pistol when he headed off Chinese shooters Ding Feng and Zhang Jian in the hit-or-miss final. Customized Domenik Hixon Jersey . The Denver-based Anschutz Co. said in a statement that it is "commencing a process" to sell the subsidiary known as AEG and had hired Blackstone Advisory Partners as an adviser. It wasnt immediately clear how far along the company is in the sale process, or whether it has entertained any offers, but the price for AEG could be well into the billions. Chad Henne Jersey For Sale . -- Riley Sheahan scored twice, including a power-play goal, to lead the Grand Rapids Griffins past the Abbotsford Heat 5-1 on Friday in American Hockey League play.Diana Mathesons 92nd minute, stoppage time goal led Canada to a 1-0, bronze medal victory over France in womens soccer at the London 2012 Olympic Games. This is Canadas first medal in a traditional summer team sport since picking up a silver medal in basketball at the Berlin 1936 Games. As time was set to expire in the second half, Canadian midfielder Sophie Schmidt broke in on goal and fired a shot that was deflected away by a French defender. Following up on the play, Matheson found the loose ball in the box and fired it into an open net to earn Canada the victory. "It feels amazing, we felt as a group that we were going to earn this and we did in the last minute," said Matheson. "Our goal coming in was to be on the podium and was had the perfect opportunity to do that, that is what we were focused on." She also feels this victory could be big for the future of soccer in the country. "It means so much to us, we came in wanting to leave a legacy for Canadian soccer and I think we did that," said Matheson. Canadian captain Christine Sinclair, the tournaments leading scorer with six, is proud of the way her teammates competed in the bronze medal game. "Its been a long battle on this national team and John (Herdman) came on board and completely changed it, Im just so proud of this team," said Sinclair. "We battled through exhaustion today and came out on top." The winning goal came after a 90 minute contest that was dominated by a France side that never looked to be in danger of losing the game. Wave after wave of French attack was turned away by keeper Erin McLeod and the Canadian defensive line. Twice in a one minute span, France rattled the ball off the Canadian net coming close to taking the lead. Both Gaetane Thiney and Elodie Thomis found enough space to fire open shots at the attacking goal, but both were turned away by the net framework. In fact, France fired 25 shots towards the Canadian goal, compared to just four for the Canadian side. "Today (McLeod) proved that if she is not the best goalkeeper in the world, she should be in the discussion," said Sinclair. "She kept our team in it. She is the most amazing teammate. She is a leader. SShe saved our butts so many times today it is incredible.dddddddddddd" For her part, McLeod was happy to see the improvements her team made over the course of the competition. "At the beginning of the tournament, we played well but I think weve raised the bar as weve gone through," said McLeod. "Weve got better as we went on. Im so proud of the way weve played. Im so proud of everybody." The majority of the French attack took place in the second half of the game as the Canadian team hung on under incredible pressure from their opponents. Though Canada did not generate many scoring chances in the game, there were many members of the team that played a physical defensive style up and down the pitch to help secure the victory. Forward Jonelle Filigno was one of those players and after the game she was very happy to be on the right said of a late game result. "To be honest I dont even think it has real hit me yet, words just cant describe," said Filigno. "It was a heartbreak against the US, so just to come back from that and win the bronze medal for our country feels like a gold to us." Canadas head coach John Herdman felt his team answered everything asked of them coming off an emotional semi-final defeat to claim the bronze. "It was a hell of a game the other night, the big question was could they repeat that? Could they get up again? And to be fair, we wobbled for long times but halfback four, Erin, Desi Scott, they were just remarkable and to see Sophie Schmidt covering the ground, they were posessed," said Herdman. "You know France, all credit to them, they were outstanding, they were the better team for periods but you got to put the ball in the back of the net and we werent going to let them do that today." Herdman also had a message for the next generation of Canadian soccer players. "I just hope those young kids out there watching never give up," said Herdman. "Never give up and youll see what resilience and commitment will do for you. "Its a hell of a game and youve got to be proud of your girls and Im hoping a couple of them will get up off their bums today, put the football boots on and be ready for 2024."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Services · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Go to the Index