Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Lawlolawl. We hope you enjoy your visit.


You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

If you wish to view the old forums for archival reasons, please click here.

Join our community!


If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The two-run single in the first inning
Topic Started: Jan 16 2014, 01:38 AM (104 Views)
xubb
No Avatar
Club DJ
BOSTON -- The two-run single in the first inning was nice. What Mark Teixeira really enjoyed, though, was his seventh-inning triple off longtime nemesis Vicente Padilla. "Game-winning hits always feel good," he said, "but that one definitely felt good." Teixeira had the big hit in New Yorks five-run first inning, then added a two-run triple off Padilla in the seventh to give the Yankees the lead for good on Friday night as they beat the Boston Red Sox 10-8. After celebrating a little bit at third base, Teixeira gloated a little more in the clubhouse about beating the pitcher who gave up homers the first two times they faced each other -- then plunked Teixeira with a pitch his next time up. "He doesnt have too many friends in the game," said Teixeira, who has called out Padilla before for throwing at batters heads. "Guy throws at people. Fact of the matter, Im not saying anything thats news." Teixeira homered in his first two career at-bats against Padilla, in 2009, when Teixeira was with the Rangers and Padilla was with the Phillies. He had not gotten another hit since then -- but hed been hit three times. "In the NFL, hed probably be suspended by (commissioner) Roger Goodell eight games or a whole season," Teixeira said. "Theres only one guy in baseball. No one else does this. Thats the thing that is unbelievable to me." Alex Rodriguez had three hits and Curtis Granderson scored three times for the Yankees, who improved to 3-0 against Boston this year. David Ortiz and Adrian Gonzalez had three hits apiece for Boston, which lost its fourth in a row. Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit a three-run homer to help the Red Sox tie it 5-5 after Josh Beckett gave up five runs in the top of the first. Boone Logan (4-0) wound up with the win and Andrew Miller (2-1) took the loss. Rafael Soriano got four outs for his 20th save -- his first save of more than one inning since 2007. "They got five in the first; we had their closer in at the end of the game," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "We did a good job, but it put us climbing uphill the whole game." It was the first game between the two rivals since the Yankees rallied from a 9-0 deficit with seven runs in the seventh and seven more in the eighth to win 15-9 on April 21 at Fenway Park. This time, neither team could hold a lead. The Yankees coughed up a 5-0 lead in the first and a 6-5 lead in the second, and Boston led 7-6 after five. But New York scored four times in the seventh inning, taking an 8-7 lead on Teixeiras triple. Raul Ibanez doubled in Teixeira and scored on Eric Chavezs single to make it 10-7. Beckett allowed six runs on eight hits and two walks, striking out five in five innings. The first five Yankees all reached base -- and scored -- on three singles, a hit batsman and a walk. When Beckett got Nick Swisher on a flyout to right, the crowd cheered sarcastically, and it booed as he walked off the field at the end of the inning. But Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda was just as bad, giving up seven runs -- six earned -- on 10 hits and a walk while striking out three in 5 2-3 innings. The Red Sox tied it in the bottom of the first, thanks in part to a two-run double by Gonzalez followed by Saltalamacchias career-high 17th homer. The teams traded single runs in the second inning before the pitchers settled down. The Yankees nearly took the lead in the fifth when Rodriguez singled and stole two bases. But he was thrown out trying to score on a grounder to second when Daniel Nava came home with the throw and Saltalamacchia blocked the plate. Boston took a 7-6 lead in the fifth when Gonzalez singled, took second on a wild pitch and scored on Mauro Gomezs single -- his first career RBI. But the Yankees went ahead after Miller came in to start the seventh. Granderson walked and Rodriguez singled and, after Robinson Cano struck out, Vicente Padilla came on to face Teixeira. The Yankees first baseman lined a triple to the deepest part of the ballpark, the centre field triangle, just short of the 420-foot marker. Granderson and Rodriguez scored and Teixeira slid into third without drawing a throw. The Red Sox threatened another comeback when Cody Ross led off the bottom half with a homer and Gonzalez singled. But Logan struck out Saltalamacchia and Cody Eppley came on. Gomez singled, but Mike Aviles hit a grounder that drew Jeter deep into the hole to his right and he threw to third for the force on Gonzalez. David Robertson struck out Nick Punto with runners on second and third to end the inning. "I thought it was the only play I had," Jeter said. "Its huge. You score runs here, you want to be able to go out and shut them down the next inning." NOTES: The Red Sox and Yankees promoted a "hashtag battle" on Twitter, with each team promising fans autographed souvenirs if it won. ... Before the game, the Red Sox honoured Ortiz for his 400th career home run. Boston Mayor Tom Menino joined the owners on the field, and many Yankees went to the top step of their dugout to applaud. ... Cano drove in a run for the ninth straight game, the longest streak for a Yankee since Jeter had nine in 2004. ... Before the game, the Red Sox put 2B Dustin Pedroia on the 15-day DL with a hyperextended right thumb. INF Pedro Ciriaco was selected from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his place, and Rich Hill was transferred to the 60-day DL to make room for Ciriaco on the 40-man roster. The Red Sox also activated OF Scott Podsednik from the 15-day disabled list and optioned him to Pawtucket. ... Russell Martin was hitless in three at-bats, making him hitless in his last 30. ... Former Red Sox outfielder Darnell McDonald made his Yankees debut as a defensive replacement in the ninth. cheap Bruce Carter cowboys jersey . The person told The Associated Press about the trade on condition of anonymity Wednesday because it has not been announced pending the completion of some routine logistical matters. The deal also sends guard Jerome Dyson and retiring centre Brad Millers $5.1 million contract from New Orleans to Minnesota, allowing the Timberwolves to clear space under the NBAs salary cap as they pursue free agents. Customized Billy Winn Jersey .J. -- Fredy Montero came off the bench in the second half to score his fifth goal of the season, giving the Seattle Sounders a 2-2 tie with the New York Red Bulls on Sunday. http://www.lionsteamstoreonline.com/Lions-Rob-Sims-Nike-Jersey-Ak-52.html . The Knicks were particularly effective from beyond the arc, where they connected on 18 of 33. Novak paced five players in double figures for New York. Led by Carmelo Anthony, who finished with 17 points, the Knicks took a 38-21 first-quarter lead. Donnie Avery Jerseyfree shipping . -- Carson Palmer walked off the field at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday, where the Raiders had just won for the sixth straight time, and looked just like he did at the start. Customized Jordan Gross Jersey . The idea is to use the Oilers and Flames brands and expand a digital lottery game called Keno into 1,000 bars and pubs across the province. Much of the proceeds would help pay for the new facilities.SAANICH, B.C. -- Members of Canadas mens eights rowing team are contemplating their future in the sport following coach Mike Spracklens controversial departure. The rowers, who won silver at the London Olympics this summer, made the comments Thursday after participating in a tribute for the 75-year-old Spracklen, who lost his job earlier this week. Rowing Canada announced Spracklens departure on its website but did not describe the move as either a firing or a resignation. No reasons were given, but Spracklen has had a fractious relationship with the governing body for a number of years. "All along (since the Olympics), Ive been on the fence about whether I want to (leave) or not," said two-time Olympian Andrew Byrnes of Toronto, who also won gold under Spracklen in 2008 at the Beijing Games. "This plays a role and who they hire plays a role in determining what I decide to do with the team. "Im here to win. I want to be on a team thats successful and Im going to (want to) feel going into Rio that this team has that chance at success. That depends on the organization, the coaches, and the other athletes around there. Those are all things that will factor into my decision." As part of Thursdays tribute for Spracklen on a lake in suburban Victoria, supporters put their boats in the water and staged a mass start as he rode alongside in a motorized boat. The event was held after Spracklen finished training a group of junior rowers at a local club, helping a coach who is recuperating from a neck injury suffered in a boating accident. Byrnes said several other members of the mens eights team are in the same position as he is, adding that Spracklens departure and eventual replacement will affect their decisions. "Theres no substitute for hard work for winning Olympic medals," said Byrnes, 29, who has been a member of the team since 2006. "Its going to take a lot out of the next four years. You need a good coach, for sure." Byrnes, a dual Canadian-American citizen, said Spracklens presence influenced his decision to row for Canada when he was trying to choose between the two countries. Spracklens many successes during two stints with the Canadian program included silver in the mens eights this summer and Olympic gold in the same event in 1992, 2000 and 2008. Jerry Brown, a member of the 2012 silver-medal crew, said he is also contemplating his future. The 26-year-old from Cobourg, Ont., said his decision will be "highly personal," but that Spraccklens departure will also play a role.dddddddddddd "I am very disappointed, because I know Mike wanted to continue to coach, and I havent been coached by some of the others," said Brown, a former McMaster University football player who started training under Spracklen some 20 months ago. "I know in my heart that, if I wanted to do it again at a high level and I wanted to win a medal, Mikes the only guy I know -- right now -- that can take me there." Spracklen, who is expected to coach in another country, only spoke briefly with reporters on Thursday. "Its nice to see these people down here," he said. Members of the 1992, 2002, 2008 and 2008 eights crews were among the supporters at the tribute, along with three-time Olympic medallist Silken Laumann, who has blasted Rowing Canadas decision to part ways with Spracklen. "This is where I know him most deeply -- on the lake," said Laumann, standing on a dock beside the water before she rowed. "This is his home. This is our home." Laumann -- who has contended the move was based on politics rather than Spracklens track record -- said the tribute was also a protest. "Athletes have spoken so clearly and so loudly over what has happened to Mike and whats happening in the system right now," she said. Laumann, who trained under Spracklen between 1990 and 1996, said she would not have the success she had if it were not for the coach. A native of Marlow, England, Spracklen helped her win bronze in 1992 when she overcame a broken leg suffered just 10 weeks before the Barcelona Games. Laumann praised Spracklen for having the courage to go back on the water after being ousted by Rowing Canada. "Heres a guy whos just been fired by Rowing Canada, and hes not home licking his wounds," said Laumann. The tribute was organized by Kevin Light, a member of Canadas 2008 gold-medal eights crew and the 2011 silver-medal squad. Light only made the team after he won a race-off with fellow rower Scott Frandsen, who has criticized Spracklens methods and pushed for his dismissal. Spracklen has claimed that Frandsen had a "vendetta" against him because, after losing the row-off, he was forced to settle for silver in pairs in Beijing and missed a chance at gold. Spracklen declined to discuss the issue Thursday. "Do you really want to go down that road?" he asked. "Theres nothing to be gained from it. Theres nothing for me to gain. Im going. End of story."
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Services · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Go to the Index