Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Living In Laos. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Cars for Laos
Topic Started: May 25 2011, 01:29 AM (1,584 Views)
Philip
Member Avatar
Administrator
Kolao Developing Co, a key player in the Lao vehicle market, has unveiled new Korean cars at its 2011 Motor Show as part of its plans to gain a larger niche of the booming vehicle market. An event to launch the all new Kia Picanto and Hyundai Accent was held on Saturday at the National Culture Hall in Vientiane, putting the new models on public display.

Company managing director Mr Baik said Kolao was confident the two new models would win the hearts of Lao motorists and hoped the new additions to the market would boost sales of the Hyundai and Kia brands. Kolao is targeting sales of 1,000 of each of the two new Korean cars annually, he said.

The Lao vehicle market has grown rapidly over the past five years thanks to economic growth and a growing middle class. Vehicle imports saw an 80 percent increase over the first six months of this current fiscal year.

New Korean cars, in particular sedans, are gaining in popularity among city dwellers, with an increasingly affluent middle class now able to afford what was previously regarded as a luxury.

Source: Vientiane Times
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Philip
Member Avatar
Administrator
Well I hope Number One Son doesn't expect me to buy one of those (because he isn't going to get one). I've never bought a new car in my life - second hand is always the most sensible option I think. It's bad enough he's asked me to buy him a used car here for around $20,000!

What?!!!!?

I told him I could get him a good 'runner' in England for $500.

He didn't like that. Well, we'll see but it looks like I'll be shelling out at least $14,000+. It's one of those import-duty-kind-of things.

What do you pay for new and used cars where you are?

Philip

cam
Member Avatar

It all depends what you want to buy where I live. New sedans like the Hyundai Accent mentioned is about $15,000-20,000 depending on what the vehicle has. Used cars for a Hyndai Accent from a year ago model will cost about $13,000.

JACK-SPADE
Member Avatar

Keep shopping around, you'll find something. Stay with the price range of $10,000 and under if possible until most of the country's roads are paved. There's just way too much dirt and debris around that can harm the engine and could cost you more to repair. Just a thought. :)

cam
Member Avatar

Are there auto dealerships of new vehicles with new American brands in Vientiane (Ford, Chevrolet, GMC)?

Lao LXE

New car is around $13,000 or more. Used car started at $500. Depend on what brand name you want.

Philip
Member Avatar
Administrator
cam
May 26 2011, 10:15 AM
Are there auto dealerships of new vehicles with new American brands in Vientiane (Ford, Chevrolet, GMC)?
Yes, all of those, and more, car makes are available here.

Latest is, number one son has seen a car he 'absolutely needs' for $18,000.

I want to cry!

Will continue to employ delaying tactics.

Philip

LaoguySoCal

In Laos no financing right? everyone is paying cash for the cars. That is probably hard for lower class citizens to buy a car since no banks want to loan you a money. am I right? or the banks now financing car purchasers.

Philip
Member Avatar
Administrator
LaoguySoCal
May 27 2011, 12:18 AM
In Laos no financing right? everyone is paying cash for the cars. That is probably hard for lower class citizens to buy a car since no banks want to loan you a money. am I right? or the banks now financing car purchasers.
Lao people can borrow money from banks to buy a car but, like everywhere else, they need to be able to provide security.

But I believe the majority of transactions are done in cash.

Doesn't seem to limit purchasing however - the roads in Vientiane are jampacked with nice-looking vehicles.

Philip

cam
Member Avatar

Motorbikes outnumber cars in Vientiane? How much does a new motorbike costs? What would you say is the least expensive new vehicle and brand?

Philip
Member Avatar
Administrator
cam
May 27 2011, 10:13 AM
Motorbikes outnumber cars in Vientiane? How much does a new motorbike costs? What would you say is the least expensive new vehicle and brand?
Chinese, Korean and Thai motorbikes are the most popular here. Prices are around US$800 to US$1,000.

Posted Image

I bought Number One Son a scooter last year. Now he wants a car. Number Two Son will now inherit the scooter.

Philip

cam
Member Avatar

$800 - very attractive price and I wish I can own one over here.

William Kelley
Member Avatar

My wife asked me if I wanted to drive one of her family's scooters. I really wanted to, but I thought, I don't have a Lao driver's license and being a farang, driving a scooter I would probably be pulled over at a street corner by the police just checking to see if I did. So, I declined.
Edited by William Kelley, May 29 2011, 06:09 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply