Main Fiction Galleries Nuts & Bolts Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ()The Mechanical Maniacs: Undernet. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Megaman 11; 'BOUT TIME, MAN
Topic Started: Dec 4 2017, 04:28 PM (250 Views)
Gonzo
Member Avatar
Healthy Heel
We're finally getting a new game! Turns out that mysterious concept art in MMLC2 was for something after all.

GameInformer's site will be providing updates.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
MM3: Shadowman
Admin
Fucking finally!

And the art doesn't look like it's aimed a single digit children either. That's something the series went overboard with since MM8.

I'm glad they're moving on towards a different style for the graphics. I mean, I like 8-bit as much as the next guy, but the nostalgia factor is long gone now.

So happy it's not based off the upcoming TV show.
Posted Image
MM3: Mechanical Maniacs

Gonzo
Member Avatar
Healthy Heel
Yannow, people at PRC were angry at the MoA cartoon because it existing meant that Capcom would make the next mainline Classic title a tie-in for some reason, and...there's no precedent for Capcom crossing the streams like that.

Still glad that they're going with normal Classic first (not that I bear any ill will towards the new show, just that giving us a tie-in thing before normal Clasic would be...unwise).

Mad Mags

Admin
Interesting. Wondering how this'll turn out, being the first major MM title post-Inafune. Artwork and gameplay appear promising.

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
Admin
As much as people give credit to Inafune he was at the helm when Capcom did A LOT of mindless repetition in the MM series. Sure, he did a lot of good stuff, but I can't help but wonder how much of the bad stuff was him too.

I have to admit I thought Capcom would make the next MM game related to the cartoon too. Not that it'd be MM 11, but it's own thing (like the BN series was). So this is a happy surprise.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
Funny how Capcom's page used to be full of hate and disgruntled fans, and then something like this gives the community a collective sense of hope. Some might say it's overdue, but it's never too late for this kind of thing.

Just seeing screenshots got me excited. The art style is interesting, the proportions remind me of the NES Mega Man. To be honest, this is what Mega Man 9 should have been - moving the series forward. An NES-style game would have been fun as a side game, but didn't really sit right as a main series game, no matter how well-made it was. And Mega Man 10 was starting to overstay that welcome.

On the topic of Keiji Inafune: was he instrumental to Mega Man's success and a visionary in his own right? Absolutely. Was he required to make a good Mega Man game? No. I believe the Game Boy games were made without him, not to mention the original concept of Mega Man was made before his involvement. For the tremendous success of the first two games, we can thank Mega Man's creator and game director Akira Kitamura. Not holding my breath, but getting him back would be the biggest thing to happen to Mega Man since Mega Man 2. Before he seemingly dropped off the map, his later Mega Man-esque projects really pushed the envelope on the NES.

I do stand by all the repetition, though, at least as far as the NES is concerned. I see a lot of reviewers try to pick out a few bad games of the bunch, but yet there seems to be no consensus when it comes to bad Mega Man NES games.
Posted Image

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
Admin
I dunno, I think MM9 and 10 provided a real return to form for MM and reminded everyone about why they loved the franchise. That said I'm glad they didn't decide to keep MM 8-bit. I mean, enough already.

There's just way too many NES/GB games. As much as I like MM having so many all in a short time frame didn't do the series any favours. And splintering it to the degree that it has been isn't great either.

All the repetition and splintering has had one pretty detrimental consequence: Megaman games are not a VERY unchangeable formula. MM is just this ONE type of game and if Capcom wants to try a different sort of play style it invents a different MM entirely - one that may or may not work at all.

But I don't know how much of that is Inafune and how much of that is Capcom's marketing execs. I do get the sense that Inafune saw Classic Megaman as very kiddy - and ONLY very kiddy. And they veered into that for many games until Powered Up. HARD.

Hopefully this is good. Make something memorable. something SOLID.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
There wasn't a decrease in quality with an influx in the release of games, though. Repetition isn't all bad when you consider that Mega Man 2, the proclaimed crown jewel of the series, was very similar to Mega Man versus sequels like Super Mario Bros. 2, Legend of Zelda 2, Donkey Kong Jr., etc. The question of would it have been better for the series as a whole to spread out release dates is another topic, since sales were steadily decreasing with each release. Maybe the series would be held in a higher esteem if it was left as a trilogy, and Mega Man 3 had a less rushed development.

It's hard for me to know when I wasn't playing them when they were originally released. When the NES was cheap and obsolete, I was immediately drawn to the Mega Man series because there was just so much to choose from. Perhaps gamers paying $59.99 a game in the early 90s were only willing to go so far with the same series.

Something I noticed in the promo art with the 10 previous box art Mega Men is that the classic Mega Man has finally been redesigned. Obviously North America has had its fair share of designs, but in Japan, the design of Mega Man was solidified with the art of Rockman 3. This seems to be the first game to change it up, as far as the main series goes.
Posted Image

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
Admin
That's not quite true. He received a bit of an artistic upgrade in MM8 and was totally chibified in Powered Up.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I mean, I like all the games, but people rag on 5,7, and 3. At the time it was like "this is good .... but nothing really new". If we compare that to Mario (at the time) he had fewer games and they were similar, but each had different mechanics and style.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
Mega Man 7 and 8 still look like they were drawn off the same model. Maybe I'm missing some of the more subtle details.

The comparison to Mario and others was because those examples were vastly different to their predecessors compared to Mega Man and still contributed to a long-running series.

See I can't even agree that people rag on MM3 because in my experience, critics put it up there with MM2. Though the closest to consensus I've seen is ragging on MM5. I don't know why, but I guess it's just an easy target for being a middle-of-the-road game in the series. I guess my issue is that critics can't articulate why a game is bad. If the series didn't exist and the first entry was Mega Man 5, it would simply be a good game, case closed.
Posted Image

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
Admin
You may be right about MM7 and 8, but 8's style struck me as lankier.

People have ragged on 3 since Inafune came out and said it was his least favourite because Capcom made them rush. Maybe you and I just don't read the same things, but I find people rag on it a lot.

Repetition makes things stale. I mean, I like it just fine, but I can see how it becomes a problem long-term.

Like, take the gameplay mechanics X introduced - the dash and wall clinging. The only reason MM can't have that is because he had 4 prior games firmly establishing what he can - and can't - do. They trapped themselves.

Let's compare that to Mario. Even without powerups Mario 2 introduced picking up and throwing and throwing, 3 introduced sliding down hills, and World introduced spinning while large and ducking while small. They didn't need multiple characters to do these things.

I mean even if you love a thing if you only have that thing time and time again it can get stale. And MM overdid it. MMs 1-6 and the GB games are all similar and all coming out just a year apart from each other. Too much of a good thing is still too much.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
Do you speak mainly from the time of its release, or more contemporary critics? Because it was a hit when it came out... probably only this and Mega Man 2 were the real moneymakers of the series selling well over a half million in North America. Plus I remember it being listed as the 11th best NES game of all time by Nintendo Power.

Also, I believe Mega Man 5 was where all of the staples were firmly established with the Super Mega Buster. Seems like nothing else stuck after that. Honestly, I'd have no issue if the classic series opted for the changes in the X series instead of making a new series. The gameplay was still immediately recognizable, though I guess the rebranding was good to reinvigorate sales.

I'm getting way off topic here, but one of the most striking things about Mario 2 was graphics that were completely, and successfully, overhauled. The characters thing was cool, even if there wasn't much difference, just the fact that you had different playable characters made it seem like more bang for your buck. Plus, the Princess could just fly over obstacles (?)
Posted Image

Gauntlet101010
Member Avatar
Admin
At the time of release critics complained that there wasn't a lot of changes from game to game.

Current critics find fault with 3. Like I said, ever since Inafune said he was rushed to do it people seemed to jump on the bandwagon. It's been a while, though. Maybe it turned around again since then.

Shifting to X was fine; I just think they splintered the series too much overall. I think it hurt the brand. It doubly hurt it when MM was so boring that they gave Zero his own series. Again - the idea that MM can never have any new abilities set in there too.

Mario 2 was just *really* different. Back then there just wasn't a firm idea what a Mario (or Zelda) game actually was. It could be *totally* different. I dunno what you mean about the characters not being very different. Mario is the rounded character. Toad is speedy and hard to control. Luigi has a very high jump. And Princess floats - I always use the Princess in Mario 2.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
I misunderstood, I thought you were complaining about no need for multiple characters in the last post.

Might just be a bandwagon thing; Inafune was probably just overly critical of his first Mega Man title. Then again, he also blamed the original Mega Man's lack of success solely on the box art.
Posted Image

Slash Man
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
Should have put two and two together - Mega Man's redesign is a result of Inafune's absence. In his place, Yuji Ishihara steps up to the plate. He got his start with the Legends series, and moved on to the Battle Network series. A little visual continuity between series' is nice.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/arc...campaign=buffer

Honestly the biggest "change" to the classic design is the addition of a blue collar. Otherwise, there's more line work in his costume to give him a more technical look. It's almost like a perfect cross between Ariga's manga design and the Smash Bros redesign.
Posted Image

Naoshi
Member Avatar
JKFLGADGDKAGHGAKHGAGHKAD? skjfsdjdgsd! :)
My only issue with the game at the moment is his walking cycle looking very stiff and awkward. Other than that I'm pretty excited for this! Legit gasped when the game was revealed on the stream.

As a Switch owner, I'm extremely happy. MMLC1+2 and the MMX games and now Mega Man 11... This year is gonna be great!
Metal Man of Wily's Warriors (Status: Dead)
Hornet Man of Cyborg Resistance (Status: Rebooting)
Enker of Seven Mercenaries (Status: Rebooting)

TiedyeGirl96
Member Avatar
WWW Navi
So far I'm excited for this game. Looking at the reveal trailer, the only complaints I have (which are minor) are the kind of stiff walking animation, and MM's voice. And the fact that he seems to shout whenever he fires a charged shot. I could see that getting annoying.

If I were to get this game, it would be on the Switch, since that's the only console it's being released for that I actually want to have. I've been putting off getting one because of its $300 cost, but as more games are coming out that I'm interested in, I may cave in soon.
Let there be peace among the gamers!

Castala
Member Avatar
Nebuala Agent
graphics..! so much improvement! I can't wait!

« Previous Topic · Area 1: Megaman and other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply