Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nikki And Helen. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Concerts; talking about interesting concerts
Topic Started: Jun 1 2006, 09:08 AM (2,062 Views)
richard
Member Avatar
The Garden Assistant
I had the real pleasure of seeing Tom Paxton in concert in Sheffield last week. He is one of the group of 1960s American folk singers who hung out in Greenwich Village and their scene created a wave of socially committed writing whose outward ripples are not lost to today's generation. (Bob Dylan is the best known member of that group)

He was accompanied by another guy on mandolin, second guitar which nicely fleshed out the melodies. The guy had a real humanity and wit in his music, ranging from touching songs about his two daughters to a standout song 'Comedians and Angels' being his retrospective of his roots in New York. His talk in between songs was similarly pitched, with nice self deprecating humour of the help he needs from his grandson to load stuff up on his website from a guy who was brought up on the radio. Back in 1965 he wrote a song called 'Lyndon Johnson told the Nation' about the Vietnam war. His rewite 'George W told the Nation' fits in seamlessly to modern times

"I got a letter from old George W.,
It said, "Son, I hate to trouble ya,
But this war of mine is going bad.
It's time for me to roll the dice;
I know you've already been there twice,
But I am sending you back to Baghdad."

Chorus:
Hey! George W. told the nation,
"This is not an escalation;
This is just a surge toward victory.
Just to win my little war,
I'm sending 20,000 more,
To help me save Iraq from Iraqis.

And, so, I made it to Iraq
In time for one more sneak attack,
And to my old battalion I was sent.
We drive around in our Humvees,
Listening to The Black-Eyed Peas
And speaking fondly of the president. (To Chorus)

Celebrities all come to see us,
Grateful they don't have to be us,
Politicians show their best face card.
Where is Bubba? Where's our leader?
Where's our favorite lip reader?
AWOL from the Texas National Guard."

Of course, I could add Dylan's 'Masters of War' and the late Phil Ochs *an all time hero of mine) 'Cops of the World' and 'I ain't Marching anymore' to this list of songs with modern resonance.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Music and Dancing · Next Topic »
Add Reply