Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nikki And Helen. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Songs used in S1-S3; ccogz [Aug 19, 2005]
Topic Started: Jun 5 2006, 07:27 PM (5,357 Views)
abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Which scene is this song underscoring? When Helen and Dom are in the bar, or when they are back in her apt? (Sorry, can't download at work to review myself.) If it's the latter, that seems to ssubtly imply that Helen listens to lesbian singers at home. Very interesting....
Visit the Bad Girls Annex!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
abzug
Oct 12 2006, 02:55 PM
Which scene is this song underscoring?  When Helen and Dom are in the bar, or when they are back in her apt?  (Sorry, can't download at work to review myself.)  If it's the latter, that seems to ssubtly imply that Helen listens to lesbian singers at home.  Very interesting....

It's not so subtle. :) Yeah, it's at her place with Dom, when they get back from the bar. And the music track's much louder, actually, than whatever they put into the DVD version: my take is that the music itself features as a kind of third presence here. Given it's a very obvious lesbian marking... I have to think that's deliberate: people may or may not associate what'shername & Walking in Sunshine with lesbians, but lang = lesbian, it's not avoidable.

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Thanks! I only said subtle because when you have a song in a scene like that, it can be ambiguous whether the character is listening to it (as Helen was in her car with Walking on Sunshine), or whether it doesn't exist in the scene itself but is setting a mood for the audience (as the same song was when Dominic was cleaning Rachel's stuff). So, it's not like Helen came in and turned on the stereo and this song came out. Hence, some slight ambiguity or subtlety as to whether Helen actually listens to kd lang, or whether the creators wanted the song to represent her unconscious mind.

Posted Image

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
My impression--watch it & see what you think--is that the music is exactly loud enough to suggest it's been turned on, deliberately, by Helen. I have no opinion as to whether she owns it--turned on a CD--or has on the radio--but I found your divisions of these categories very interesting & hadn't, tb honest, thought of it in those terms. Very little of the other music in this show suggests background music that tells us of a character's mood/thoughts without the character being aware that music is happening in that same environment--I'm sure you could think of an answer but i'm pressed for x at the moment!--so I'm not sure why this scene, an obviously important one, would perhaps be 'downgraded'? if I'm reading you right? to suggest something along those lines. It's possible but they've gone to a lot of trouble to surround H with music, which says to me she likes it--& therefore, likely, chooses it. But feel free to argue me out of it! :) (SFU, for ex, definitely uses music often--most often, in fact--to do double-duty in place of dialogue & to tell us things, often ironic, abt the characters which they themselves don't know; I'm not sure but my overall feeling is BG's treatment of music is far more naturalistic, which would, after all, be in keeping w/the show's general realism over S1-3.)

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
ekny

so I'm not sure why this scene, an obviously important one, would perhaps be 'downgraded'? if I'm reading you right?

I wouldn't say downgraded, just used differently. :) Either way it seems like a quite significant song choice, that's for sure, reflecting something key about Helen's subconscious. What I'm realizing as we rewatch S1 with a finetooth comb, is that there have been all these aural and visual clues of Helen's impending lesbianism. It's quite fun and rewarding to find them all. :)

Posted Image

Jeanna
Member Avatar
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
Goshdarnit, I can't get this to play like I could with the others. I'm not getting the "open with" options.

But I find it absolutely fascinating that they used that particular song.

Even through the darkest phase
Be it thick or thin
Always someone marches brave
Here beneath my skin

Constant craving
Has always been

Maybe a great magnet pulls
All souls towards truth
Or maybe it is life itself
That feeds wisdom
To its youth

Constant craving
Has always been
H&N Music Vid by me and ekny

Something To Talk About
YouTube

My BG Music Vids
On YouTube

My vids You Tube removed
Click Here
OR HERE

BAM for Beginners
BAM Channel

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Jeanna
Oct 12 2006, 09:34 PM
Goshdarnit, I can't get this to play like I could with the others. I'm not getting the "open with" options.

I converted it to an mp4 file, which can be played via iTunes, as well as other video programs, if I am not mistaken. Here's a link for download:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0BR883HC

The scene is much more compelling with the music, and the sexiness of the song is an interesting juxtaposition of the anxiety of the scene, from Dom's perspective, and Helen's to some extent as well (in the sense of, why do I have to have one more headache to deal with?).

Posted Image

Jeanna
Member Avatar
I said SIT IN THAT CHAIR
Thank you, babes. Got it in RealPlayer.

They were certainly being sly with the music cues.
H&N Music Vid by me and ekny

Something To Talk About
YouTube

My BG Music Vids
On YouTube

My vids You Tube removed
Click Here
OR HERE

BAM for Beginners
BAM Channel

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
abzug
Oct 12 2006, 11:20 PM
I converted it to an mp4 file, which can be played via iTunes, as well as other video programs, if I am not mistaken.

What program did you use to convert it?

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
ekny
Oct 13 2006, 12:44 PM
What program did you use to convert it?

Downloaded the program at www.feedmyipod.com. Download the converter program. I think it's called Videora, if I am not mistaken.

However, I should mention it's not always perfect. It worked well for this small file, but when I convered a similar .VOB file which was MUCH larger (ie an entire ep of WitB), the sync between the video and audio was off. I have no idea why it worked so well on this clip, and not on the WitB ep.

Posted Image

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Thanks, ok that's useful. A/V synch problems are like, the bane of converting, so I'm not surprised. ;)

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
ekny
Oct 13 2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks, ok that's useful. A/V synch problems are like, the bane of converting, so I'm not surprised. ;)

It does do a lovely job of converting .avi files or .ram files into .mp4 files, however, which is it's main purpose, since the video iPod can only play .mp4 files.

Posted Image

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
ep6:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVTUCIKL

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
For those who are curious about what is in the clip ekny just posted, it's the scene when Helen is at home in workout gear after the boob grab and she and Sean have that weird interaction about whether they're going out to dinner and whether Helen actually wants to get married. The song in the background is "Rescue Me" and the lyrics are strikingly apt:

Sean says to her: Are you alright?
Song lyrics: You gotta come and rescue me.
Sean: You don't seem yourself.
Helen & song lyrics together: I'm fine / Tell me what I should be.
Sean: You're not regretting it already are you?
Song lyric: You gotta come and rescue me.
Helen: Oh don't be stupid.
Song lyric: What do you want me to be?

It's really such wonderful attention to detail, to have this kind of song providing commentary on the subtext in the scene.

Here are the full lyrics for the entire song:
I can't believe I ever let you go
And assumed your heart was broken
I wanted a love where I could come and go
Now the door's no longer open
Why don't you take us back to then
No I'll never hurt you again
Now I know you're all I need
You gotta come on and rescue me (yeah, yeah)
Tell me what I should be, yeah
You gotta come on and rescue me
What do you want me to be? (ahh)
I realised that it's hard to be apart
You discovered it could be easy
And all I think of is why get together to break apart
You wonder why you loved me
You gotta come on and rescue me (yeah, yeah)
Tell me what I should be, yeah
You gotta come on and rescue me
What do you want me to be? (ahh)
Oh you're meaning the world to me
And I just wanna get up (get up), make up (make up)
Only you know how to save me
I need you now I need you baby
We'll live forever under the light of the moon, the stars
All things bright
(Tell me what I should do)
We go together heart and mind, we go together don't you find
(You gotta come on and rescue me)
And if you're ever stuck someday
(What do you want me to be?)
Turn around, call my name shout it out and into the air
I will be, I will be, I will be, I will be there
(You gotta come on and rescue me)

Posted Image

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Sorry, thanks very very much for the post: I uploaded ep6, which was the kd lang. The stuff you're refering to is ep7, which is coming up, soon as I get help w/my latest computer crisis. Thx! :)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Freedom! · Next Topic »
Add Reply