Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nikki And Helen. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Transcripts; If anyone is interested
Topic Started: Jul 9 2006, 12:58 PM (10,412 Views)
keli
Member Avatar
Out of Dorm
Quite a while ag on the BGOL board there was a huge discussion about the absence of subtitles on the dvds meaning fans that are hard of hearing can't enjoy the dvds to their full extent. From that quite a few members decided to create some transcripts of the episodes. However it was fairly unsucessul, lots of members promised to do bits of episodes and then didn't and it just all fell apart.

I was just wondering, does anyone know of any reasons why the episodes shouldn't be transcribed by fans (I think they would make a great reference material as well) and is anyone interested in helping to continue this project?

Let me know your thoughts

*just as an add on to this
the site I created last time is now back online although I only have series 2 episodes 1 & 2 on it at the moment because that's as far as we got.

www.bgtranscripts.tk
Keli xx

Concentrate on the present and the future will take care of itself.
BG Transcripts
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Flutur
Member Avatar
Down the Block
Hi Keli,

I'll commit to 13 and 12 of series 2. If I can do more, I'll continue working my way backwards. I want to see how much time it takes for two episodes before I promise more.

Great idea.

:)
F

abzug
Member Avatar
In love with a prisoner
ekny were talking about this a while back, that it would be ideal to pair people, so each person would transcribe one episode, and review a transcription of another episode. But ekny mentioned that it was taking her multiple hours to transcribe a single episode, and that jived with my experience transcribing individual scenes. At which point it started to feel unlikely that we could get 39 volunteers to spend multiple hours transcribing and reviewing transcriptions.

But that said, its the kind of thing I would chip in to help with, if there's the possibility of having a complete set of the first 3 seasons....
Visit the Bad Girls Annex!

Posted Image

keli
Member Avatar
Out of Dorm
Thanks for registering your interest i thought maybe no was was interested.

The way I was propsing to do it was to divide each episode into 4 with a 10 second overlap. Then each section can be emailed to me and I can format them and post them up on the site. It does take quite a long time to do a whole episode which is why i proposed to divide them that way things progress gradually and it doesn't seem like such a huge job. let me know if you are agreeable

I do have series 1 episode 1 almost finished and series 2 episodes 1 &2 are already on the site.

P.S if you have any suggestions for the format of the ones I have already done they are very welcome. e.g. in the character names in the script what should sylvia hollamby and Jim Fenner be called Sylvia & Jim or Hollamby & Fenner because I can't decide

Keli xx

BG Transcripts

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
Have done large parts of S1ep1 & 2, but not all: initially was only focusing on any & all interactions remotely connected w/H & N. Also didn't know how to format, if anyone has a site referal that'd be useful, or if you decide on guidelines for names etc. Also could you pls give us a link whenever you're ready to what you've already got?

Whoever does this... yeah, it's gonna take awhile. --e

(If only this show was the sort to attract gay male viewers [as if], this would've been done years ago! ;) )

msalt
No Avatar
Out of Dorm
it seems like initials would be the way to go to identify speakers, right? i mean, who wants to type out wade, fenner, hollamby every time? are there a lot of repeats?

cons (in no particular order):
NW, JJ, JS, YA, DB, SW, ZP, BH, CG,
what the hell is shell's last name? i can't remember everyone off the top of my head

officers (and others):
SH, HS, KB, JF, DM, SS, SP (sean parr), DB (okay, Dennie Blood and Di Barker are the same. perhaps DB=dennie blood and DiB=di barker?)

okay, there are surely many others, and we should compile a list, but the main thing is to look for repeats. anyone see any others? then, maybe the first time the character speaks in an episode, write out the whole name. subsequent times, just use the initials.

so a partial transcript might look like this:
Nikki Wade: Helen ...
Helen Stewart: What are you doing here?
NW: I thought you were fantastic up on that roof. And I'm sorry Helen, but I've got to tell you. You're gorgeous. I'm totally in love with you.
HS: Nikki ...
NW: There's nothing I can do about it.
HS: Well I can.

(sorry, that was off the top of my head. the point is the format.)

any comments?

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
msalt
Jul 10 2006, 06:56 PM
any comments?

I've been using characters familiar names, ie whatever's most commonly used on the show itself--not Sylvia Hollamby but Bodybag, for ex. (Not Jim Fenner--it's my own personal thing but I've never refered to him as anything other than "Fenner".) As for Helen & Nikki, it does seem a little odd not to refer to them as such, but I guess if we're being all Uniform about it.... dunno, it's silly of me to worry abt those kinds of details I guess, I think the main thing is to get the transcripts & then maybe someone can go about making them uniform.

I do start each scene with the full name of the character in my own standardized ekny shorthand though (heh?) rather than just each episode, there's a great deal of cross-cutting between different sets of interactions & the point to me is to make it easy for anyone reading not to lose track.

msalt
No Avatar
Out of Dorm
ekny
Jul 11 2006, 05:09 AM
msalt
Jul 10 2006, 06:56 PM
any comments?

I've been using characters familiar names, ie whatever's most commonly used on the show itself--not Sylvia Hollamby but Bodybag, for ex. (Not Jim Fenner--it's my own personal thing but I've never refered to him as anything other than "Fenner".) As for Helen & Nikki, it does seem a little odd not to refer to them as such, but I guess if we're being all Uniform about it.... dunno, it's silly of me to worry abt those kinds of details I guess, I think the main thing is to get the transcripts & then maybe someone can go about making them uniform.

so, does that mean that you put each character's full name (whatever for that may take) before each line? doesn't that get tedious?

ekny
Jul 11 2006, 05:09 AM
I do start each scene with the full name of the character in my own standardized ekny shorthand though (heh?) rather than just each episode, there's a great deal of cross-cutting between different sets of interactions & the point to me is to make it easy for anyone reading not to lose track.

I like the using "full" name at beginning of each scene. this makes much more sense.

and i think it totally makes sense to think abou tthese sorts of details. making the transcripts would be tedious enough. but going through three seasons' worth to reformat? ugh!

ekny
No Avatar
In love with a prisoner
msalt
Jul 11 2006, 01:35 AM
so, does that mean that you put each character's full name (whatever for that may take) before each line? doesn't that get tedious?

Just the shorthand, whatever I decided on. If the scene starts with Bodybag talking, I'll have Bodybag: blahblah; next time it'll be BB: blah!blahblah.

Quote:

and i think it totally makes sense to think abou tthese sorts of details. making the transcripts would be tedious enough. but going through three seasons' worth to reformat? ugh!

Reformatting wouldn't be a big deal if it were 1 person doing 1 other person's work, you could just do global search & replace. But if it's 1 person reformatting 10 people's work, yeah, not fun.

I was actually more concerned about learning ht show proper shorthand for INT. or EXT. shots, stage directions when it seemed useful, that sort of thing. From what I've seen of television scripts, they're actually more detailed than film scripts (where you're supposed to leave everything *out* to give the director leeway for their great artistic vision or whatever); tv's much more practical so there are set directions sometimes & the like. If you go to any of the Buffy sites & look at all the transcripts there you'll see what I mean.

Not interested in making this more complicated for myself or others, I just want to follow some basic industry-standard format & not think about this stuff too much when trying to get the words right, really that's all.

keli
Member Avatar
Out of Dorm
Just to clear up I am more than happy to collate and partially format everyone's work and then post it on the site I created for anyone to view, the problem with pair people up is that different styles can be created and can result in inconsistencies.

However if everyone types up things in a similar fashion it will make formatting fairly easy.

The way I have done it is as follows

Cuts to the fashion show where all of the girls are now dancing on the stage, a hand moves to the light switch, the lights come on and the music is cut off.

All the women on the stage and in the audience start complaining.

FENNER: ok girls that’s it, times up….
(they’re all moaning at him) Come on now don’t get stroppy, hang up your stuff and get back for lock up.
(He walks over to the girls on the stage who all begin to protest.)
SHELL: but we aint finished yet
DENNY: You cut her off!
SHELL: Yeah I got all me moves, I gotta practice, it’s different now we got our proper cossies on.
FENNER: Look, do you wanna get me into deep trouble?
SHELL: what’s 5minutes?
FENNER: (in a stern tone) Shell…
SHELL: (she leans forward to him) Go on please…just for me…
FENNER: I’ve already given you an extra 20
(Shell takes her wig off and walks off the stage)
SHELL: Well sod ya then!
(All the women mutter insults as they pass him to leave the room.)

I have used the first names of all the characters excepy jim fenner and sylvia hollamby because orginally people used a mixture and I couldn't decide.. Personally I think it might make more sense if just all first names were used, last names and initials can get confusing and if you are going to use a full name at the start of the scene it is often just as easy to typre the first name everytime

I also list all characters full names (split into prison officers, prisoners and others) in the order they appear at the top of the transcript

I haven't used much technical description to describe things such as changes in scene and shot but that is only because it's easier and it kind of stuck. However I am quite open to changing that.

If people do want to do it the way I have proposed I have already done series 1 episode 1 and series 2 episodes 1&2. I was then thinking of splitting each episode into 4 and then people can type up sections in an agreed format, email them to me and I can collate them and post them on the site.

If anyone wants to see an example series 2 episodes 1 & 2 are up on the site that intend to use www.bgtranscripts.tk

If people are happy to do it as I have suggested above the next episode I would start on is series 1 episode 3. as ekny already has most of episode 2 but I need people to agree to this then i'll divide up the episodes

Hope that all makes sense
Keli xx

BG Transcripts

angie
No Avatar
Down the Block
That's a great idea !

I can't help you for the transcripts (because I'm not english and I don't understand all sentences, sometimes, I have only the general sense) but I would like to thank you for trying to do that. Transcripts will be hepfull for me to better understand.

Just a question : I see anything in "www.bgtranscripts.tk". Is it normal ?

keli
Member Avatar
Out of Dorm
There are only transcripts for series 2 episodes 1&2 but I have just checked and the site is still online. I know of problems with displaying the transcipts but I am attempting to sort that out.

If people do want to PM me like others have we could get things started, it's up to you lot
Keli xx

BG Transcripts

keli
Member Avatar
Out of Dorm
Just to let you know various people have sent me PMs now and we have started transcribing series 1 episode 3 already. If anyone else would like to volunteer to help it would be gratefully appreciated. Check out when I've already done on www.bgtranscripts.tk and if you'd like to help email me at me_keli@hotmail.com or PM me.

Thanks
Keli xx

BG Transcripts

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
I'm almost done with mine, I should be able to get it to you tomorrow - Wednesday at the latest
Posted Image

I'm Not Just Perfect - I'm Welsh

Flutur
Member Avatar
Down the Block
Hi,

Sorry to post, but Keli I'm not sure if the transcript I sent via email for S2E13 made it as I did not receive a response. I had figured to start with 13, then 12 so as to work backwards and meet the people starting at the beginning and working forward. Or, if you want I could jump in on S2E4 as that appears to be the next one.

Did you get the one I sent?

Cheers,
F

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Freedom! · Next Topic »
Add Reply