Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nikki And Helen. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Li Club; Members only
Topic Started: Mar 27 2007, 01:40 PM (2,238 Views)
Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
aj57

What does ETA mean?

“Editted To Add”. When you’ve posted something and then realised you’ve forgotton something, you can edit the post – ETA is more commonly used if you’re editting a post quite a while after you originally posted.

aj57

"must have had the decorators in". […] Do you know the origin of that?

I don’t actually know the origin of it, but I do use it quite a lot. Maybe that should be the next discussion in The Dumb Americans Thread.

aj57

What are AS levels?

These are the exams taken by students in their first year of college. If you pass the first year, then you can stay on and do you’re A Levels in the second year. These are compulsory, as is going to college altogether. I don’t know about other countries, but education is only compulsory up to the age of 16 in the UK. But the government are currently trying to raise it to 18.

lisa2007

Lisa289, you still didn't help me understand what "taking the piss" means in reference to giving someone a hard time??

I do apologise – I knew there was something else I had to mention. If you’re taking the piss out of someone, you are making fun of them – usually by asking them to do derogatory things that that person thinks they’re above doing.
e.g. RACHEL: Karen, can you go and get me a chocolate bar from the machine?
KIM: Yeah, and can I have a frothy coffee?
HARRIET: Ooh, I wouldn’t mind a frothy coffee too.
[I’m using this example from Green Wing – for those of you who haven’t seen it, the four girls all work in the HR department of the hospital. Despite all having the same job title, they “take the piss” out of Karen and make her do all their little jobs and run errands for them. Karen actually has a very funny comeback in this scene, where she stands up and shouts “I’m sick of you lot taking advantage of me, just because I haven’t got any breasts!” Hehe, that seemed to shut them up for a while.]
Posted Image

I'm Not Just Perfect - I'm Welsh
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

aussiebadgirl
Member Avatar
G2 landing
Sorry I have been a Bad Girl :eek . I have not visited our thread in a long time.

In Australia ETA is used as an abreviation for Estimated Time of Arrival.
Posted Image

Dont be afraid to take a chance in life. Because if you dont take chances, you will always have doubts.

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
Liza - you Bad Girl!!

You're not the only one though - I haven't had confirmation off the others that I answered their questions to their liking!
Posted Image

aj57
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
bg123
Quote:

Sorry I have been a Bad Girl eek.gif . I have not visited our threat in a long time.

I was starting to think you aussies had gone into hibernation! By the way, what have you done with tassiedevil2?

lisa289
Quote:

I haven't had confirmation off the others that I answered their questions to their liking!

Well, now that you mention it. I didn't completely understand your answer about AS level's. Probably more my fault than yours - I can be quite thick at times. It's not the same as A-levels you take in secondary school? You said they were compulsory, as was going to college altogether. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing - college comes after secondary school, right? College/University over here is not compulsory, it's actually quite an expensive proposition, since the government does not fund it directly. If you're lucky you might get some kind of scholarship, otherwise you're on your own financially.

I do appreciate your efforts at trying to explain this stuff to me. I have three kids who are going to post-secondary education and while the government does offer loans interest-free if you qualify financially as long as you're going to school, at some time they have to pay the piper. :eek

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
Oops, I meant that AS Levels and college are not compulsory!! College is after secondary school yes - I was 16 when starting college. Then University comes after you've done your most at college.

ETA - and AS Levels come one year before A Levels. These are both in college. Secondary school is for GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education).
Posted Image

aussiebadgirl
Member Avatar
G2 landing
Yet again i have been a Bad Girl and not visited this thread in a long time.

I have had a very interesting first half of the year. Oh well the second half can only get better. :lol1

Posted Image

Dont be afraid to take a chance in life. Because if you dont take chances, you will always have doubts.

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
I've been very quiet too. Sorry guys :hug2
Posted Image

aussiebadgirl
Member Avatar
G2 landing
:eek

Dont think you have all gone crazy I have had a name change....

I was confusing a few people because this is the only board where I

posted my fan fics under the name BGEp1,2&3. So to please the minority

and to be consistant I changed my sign on name.

Liza
Posted Image

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
Good to know Liza :)
Posted Image

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
Very quiet in here......
Posted Image

aussiebadgirl
Member Avatar
G2 landing
OMFG Girls I've had one of my stories plagiarised!!!!!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5304659/1/The_Beautiful

Stupid cow!!!

I have sent an email to the mods on the site it has been posted, we will wait and see what happens.
Posted Image

Lisa289
Member Avatar
Welsh Bad Girl
The Muppets!
It's THE HARP!!!! How dare they. The bitch.

I hope you get this sorted :hug2
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · The Muppet Wing · Next Topic »
Add Reply