Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nikki And Helen. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Interesting Places; Places you should know or just Google
Topic Started: Jul 10 2007, 07:23 AM (1,313 Views)
flump
No Avatar
G2 landing
:rofl Fanny Burn!! Not sure what's more disturbing SIAA, the fact that somebody thought of that name or the fact that you know of it!? Have you ever visited any of your amusing place names? Actualy, please don't answer that!! :rolleyes: :lol1 Is there not a place called Wet Beaver somewhere? I think it's in America. :lol1
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Carlyle
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
I am starting to love studying geography, specially using this site as a reference and starting point, odd places to visit, the names makes me laugh :rofl

solitasolano
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
Buttons
Jul 10 2007, 11:13 AM

I was wondering how long it would take you to get to this thread...
Amanzimtoti - KwaZulu Natal

Oh yeah I did. Found it right away...as did I also find Amazon...I mean Amanzimtoti...
Now I have to imagine the accent you all have down your way...is there one, and very different from capetown?
I need more sa places to look up....having a blast...only thing is, I did one quick search...$2,500 for a RT ticket to KwaZulu Natal or Gautenug. :eek

flump

Is there not a place called Wet Beaver somewhere?
I'm sure a Wet Beaver is out there someplace...will scour the maps for you.. :innocent

ETA: Found it...There's a Wet Beaver Wilderness in Arizona, and oh yes, the Apache Maid Trail goes right thur it.

Of course while googling the above...several name place web sites turned up...from them some new favs are Dildo, Newfoundland; Climax, Saskatchewan (Sign on way out of town says "Come again soon); Twatt, Orkney, UK; Intercourse, Pennslyvania; Shag Island in the Indian Ocean...; Boob Creek, Alaska...anyway, you get the point...see what you can find when you're looking for Wet Beaver?
:rofl

microsofty
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
solitasolano
Jul 11 2007, 08:30 AM
Now I have to imagine the accent you all have down your way...is there one, and very different from capetown? 

Oh yes, you can pick a Capetonian from a crowd. Well... normally you'll find them in their own crowd, they're very cliquey people. Don't like to mix with people from other provinces, what with them living in the Chosen province and all. The rest of the people all sound quite normal. The only time accents come into play is because of our 11 official languages, so you'll normally pick up accents when someone is not speaking in their mother tongue. There is a strong accent when an Afrikaans person is speaking in English and vice versa. Black Africans also have very strong accents when they speak in English, sometimes it's difficult to follow - for instance "bird" would be pronounced as "bed", etc.

Look up Stellenbosch. I lived there for a year... It was amazing.
Make a HOTCH in the POTCH...

solitasolano
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
Oh yeah, Stellenbosch looks nice...wine country...next time I'm at Trader Joe's (yuppie market where every item is an impluse item, but with major and reasonable wine selection including wines from sa) I'll have to pick me up some SA reds...
so the Capies are stuck up huh. Well the set up of the town does look rather spectacluar what with that ring of mountains backing the town up to the sea and keeping it from spreading forever like we have in LA (can drive for 3 hours and still be in city).

Buttons
Member Avatar
Don't you wish it was electric
The Muppets!
Yeah ...the cape townians are rather stuck up... I were once one of those... but i was a todler so I didn't qualify... hie hie

We lived in Melkbosstrand and later on in Bloubergstrand..
Oh did you know most the photo's you see of table mountain has been taken from Bloubergstrand??? Well now you do...

Oh and my aunt stays in Paarl... now that is the real wine country...
There is a couple of wineries you might know.. Nederberg, KWV and Lanseraq to name a few.. There is another one I'm quite fond of called Fairview (charles back) they are also well known for their cheeses!!!
“For it was not into my ear you whispered but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” Judy Garland

Ste ovde, Ja to znam

solitasolano
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
Buttons
Jul 11 2007, 02:54 PM
... Melkbosstrand ...Bloubergstrand..
...Paarl...

head spinning from place names and high alitude googling...
Buttons

... Nederberg, KWV and Lanseraq to name a few.. There is another one I'm quite fond of called Fairview (charles back)...
Got my shopping list for TJ's now. :wine

I love MJNet
Member Avatar
The bosses slave!
Saw this on another board I visit and thought of this thread.........

Posted Image
“In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
Posted Image

microsofty
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
solitasolano
Jul 12 2007, 01:11 AM
head spinning from place names and high alitude googling...

Ah, then it's only fair to let you know that our government is rapidly changing the names of places and towns in SA, for example:

Warmbaths changed to Bela-Bela
King William's Town to Bhisho
Ellisras - Lephalale
Louis Trichardt - Makhado (but the residents of this little town in the Limpopo province took the government to court, arguing that due process was not followed in the name change. The residents won the case and Makhado changed back to Louis Trichardt).
Nylstroom - Modimolle (the place was called Nylstroom by the Boers who wanted to go back to the Netherlands. They started their trek to the north and when they reached the river that runs through this town, they thought it was the Nile [Nile in Afrikaans is Nyl, pronounced 'nail'] - what a mistake-a to make-a!)
Dendron - Mogwadi
Potgietersrus - Mokopane
Naboomspruit - Mookgophong
Pietersburg - Polokwane

A big fight is currently underway between the government and the residents of Pretoria - the gov wants to change the name to Tshwane, but the residents are posing strong opposition.

Oh, and once you can afford that $2500 airline ticket, your flight will not land at the Johannesburg International Airport anymore, since that has been renamed to the O.R. Thambo International Airport - despite the government's own resolution/policy to NOT name towns and/or places after political figures!
Make a HOTCH in the POTCH...

dianelscott
Member Avatar
Detective Diane
The Muppets!
Solitasolano beat me to it, but as I'm originally from Pennsylvania, I was going to jump into this with Intercourse. An interesting side fact is that this is the heart of Amish country, who seem less likely to pick a name like that than anyone! :eek
Diane - Waiting for Simone in South Florida

solitasolano
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
Okay, got cabin fever...time to get out of LA...when I go to visit my sister and family in extreme northern California I'll drive thur such name places as Paradise, Oakrun, Hayfork, Happy Camp, and Peanut. All perfectly acceptable and repeatable names in public, but still.

Buttons
Member Avatar
Don't you wish it was electric
The Muppets!
Ever thought a place would be called coffee fountain?? Well You guessed it...

Koffiefontein - Freestate
“For it was not into my ear you whispered but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” Judy Garland

Ste ovde, Ja to znam

Carlyle
Member Avatar

The Muppets!
Never forget the town: Hotazhel which means it is hot-as-hell. Which is very true for that town, hell and the town is seperated by a razor wire fence. :D

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Muppet Wing · Next Topic »
Add Reply