Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TAG Music The Diary The Adventurers GuildSchool of Magic The Merry Moblin Money Making Thread!
Welcome to The North Castle Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Breath of the Wild
Topic Started: 20 Jun 2017, 11:04 PM (91 Views)
Junglelady
Member Avatar

So, now for the moment of truth: how does Breath of the Wild stack up?

For those of you who have had the chance to play it, time to weigh in.
Positives? Negatives? Storyline? Gameplay?
Throw everything at me, I'd love to know.
What system are you playing it on?

Please remember to tag your spoilers.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
- Walt Whitman
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Joran
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Hoo boy. I could go on for a while about Breath of the Wild. I played the Wii U version since I bought the damn thing for a new Zelda game five years ago and Breath of the Wild only just came out in March. I got burned on that one. At least the Wii U isn't a useless piece of junk anymore.

Anyway, the short version: I loved it but there are caveats attached to that to prevent it from being my favourite ever.

So, the longer version? Okay. Breath of the Wild is easily in my top 3 Zeldas ever. I think it still loses out to games like Twilight Princess or A Link Between Worlds but it's still pretty damn good.

What's so good about it? It's a massive world. I love this version of Hyrule. It's never been bigger or more intricate. This is truly the best Hyrule has ever looked. It finally looks like a proper kindgom. And it is as open as you can get. You're limited to a smaller area at first but once you get a certain item (I won't spoil anything) you can go anywhere. You can even head straight for the castle and fight the last boss if you want to, though I would recommend against this action. The world isn't too populated by people but it still manages to feel alive. So much of the game is like a walk in the woods. It feels refreshing to enter Hyrule.

The music, when it happens, is fantastic. It's filled with references to earlier titles
Spoiler: click to toggle
But I've always been a fan of Zelda music so there's no surprise there

Oh, and the horses are pretty cool. I won't say why, exactly, but:

So what's wrong with it? The first thing that came to my head might be confusing but I'll just say one word. Rain. If and when you play this game you are going to loathe when it rains. Then there is the combat. It's not terrible or anything but, aside from a select few that can be repaired at ridiculous cost, every weapon, shield, and bow permanently breaks with frustrating regularity. I found that whenever I got a weapon I liked a lot I would keep myself from using it so I wouldn't lose it. I'd then be forced to use an inferior weapon and I often avoided combat altogether since every enemy feels a little bit like a hit sponge.

The dungeons, without giving anything away, felt underwhelming, anti-climactic, and really repetitive. None of the puzzles felt clever. I think it was done this way on purpose, however, since the entire world is littered with a billion Zelda style puzzles outside the dungeons so take this statement with a grain of salt. In a way, some of these puzzles teach you how to solve the dungeons so maybe that's why the dungeons themselves felt do dull.

The controls are also different from previous titles but you can change them if you want. I didn't know that until after I was done but that got frustrating at times for me because my brain always defaulted to the way Zelda games played in the past. Exhibit A for this is throwing vs. dropping bombs but I don't want to give that away either. This game is one best experienced on your own. It's much more rewarding that way. But I did wind up dropping bombs when I meant to throw them a zillion times. And I'm pretty sure you can't change how those work.

All of these are just minor things but that's sort of the problem. Breath of the Wild is a wonderful game with a series of irritating and minor inconveniences that make the game less enjoyable than it should be. Instead of marvelling at the beautiful world I just curse when it rains then break my sword in a fight, fall down after getting hit and roll for 30 seconds, get up, get hit in the face, curse again, and then get struck by lightning seven times. (Don't wear metal items in a thunder storm. Just don't. Seriously, put them away. This is a major problem until you get a certain optional item later on.)

As far as story goes, all I will say about it is that it's not really any better or worse than any other Zelda game. It's not bad by any stretch but it's nothing especially complex. I didn't really find it that terribly interesting, to be honest. Maybe I'm just getting old and even more grouchy but I didn't really care all that much about the plot. I liked it in certain places. That's about all I can say. I really don't want to give anything away. And there is minimal voice acting, by the way. Not all of it is good, either. I'd say half the people who did the voiceover work actually gave a crap. The rest phoned it in, as far as I'm concerned. Luckily, though, this is limited to a few cutscenes and that's it.

So, yeah. I really did have a lot to say about it. It's still a wonderful game. I have my complaints, sure, but when I was nearing the end I found myself looking for anything to do but finish the game. I just didn't want it to end. And when I finally did finish it I told myself I would play it again only I'd do things a bit different this time. I'd head in a different direction and just wander the world, doing things as I come across them. And I still plan on doing that. I would honestly feel privileged to get to experience this game a second time. And, to be honest, I'm kind of jealous of people that haven't played it yet. They'll get to experience all the wonderful things for the first time and there is nothing like that feeling. I just hope I can come across something on my second time through that I didn't get to see the first time. The chances are that I will, too, given the size of the world and just how alive it really is. It's a great game. I say, if you can, play it. Even if the Wii U version stutters more than the Switch version and you can't take it with you like you can on the Switch, I don't think that takes away too much from the experience.

So, conclusion: Play the hell out of this thing, if and when you can. It might make you angry (if you're like me, which I doubt) but it is worth it. I don't agree with the reviewers that called it a "perfect" game but I can certainly agree that it might be the best game to come out in a long damn time.
Edited by Joran, 23 Jun 2017, 08:25 AM.
Posted Image

Alaina and Andrea, you are my roses. Please know that.

Link Æwondåslåmon
Member Avatar
Emperor of the Flesh-Eating Replicators
After all these years the first Zelda game is no longer my favourite. Breath of the Wild is by no means perfect, but it's the closest any game has ever been. The main dungeons could have been longer, and there could have been more of them. I'm also a bit disappointed about the lack of music. I love the durability system, though. In most RPGs people tend to ignore most weapons dropped by enemies, but due to the durability system that's not the case in BotW. I only wish they'd lasted longer (at least the more powerful weapons you get later in the game), and that you could repair them.

I'm playing it on the Switch. Luckily, we never had a shortage of the system in Europe. I'm really liking my Switch so far, even more than I liked the Wii. I really loved the motion-sensor technology of the Wii, but it had such terrible game droughts. The Switch seems to be getting games on a regular basis, and it'll only be getting better from here on out. Especially where RPGs are concerned, something Nintendo has been lacking since the SNES (not including the handhelds). I predict the Switch is going to be the next SNES/PS2 where RPGs are concerned.
Posted Image

Junglelady
Member Avatar

Link Æwondåslåmon
25 Oct 2017, 10:10 AM
After all these years the first Zelda game is no longer my favourite. Breath of the Wild is by no means perfect, but it's the closest any game has ever been.
I'm so glad you've been loving it. Unfortunately for me, I have damage to tendons and joints in my arm, so playing things that are highly motion dependent on systems like Wii can be challenging for a long duration. I do enjoy games such as TP, but I am hesitant to continue on with a lot of these newer games such as BotW because of the limited amount I could play them. It looks amazing though.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
- Walt Whitman

FireHawk
Member Avatar
SQUAAAAWK!
I'm finding BOTW to be pretty neat. I, too, am not exactly joyful at the weapon durability system, especially since it oftens means I have double-back and grab more loot before I can continue with stuff at times, but I'm putting up with it. In-game weather-wise, rain is a nuisance, but I find lightning to be the worst.

I love the camera features and like spending time taking cool photos of landscapes and animals. Makes me wish Nintendo would make a Pokemon Snap sequel. I also enjoy how you can end up with weird stories to tell people about Link's crazy adventures in Hyrule. Overall, I'm enjoying it.

(Playing the WiiU version.)
Edited by FireHawk, 23 Dec 2017, 04:32 PM.
My Arty Goodness!
My Youtube Goodness!
My Retro Gaming Goodness!
My VG Merch Goodness!

You know it's gotta be awesome when you're flying a jeep through space going apes**t with Nintendo controllers - Angry Video Game Nerd

Junglelady
Member Avatar

FireHawk
23 Dec 2017, 04:31 PM
I love the camera features and like spending time taking cool photos of landscapes and animals. Makes me wish Nintendo would make a Pokemon Snap sequel.
Crying at the idea of another Pokemon Snap. I'm thinking Pokemon Snap 2: Gotta Snap 'em All. But in all honesty, one of my favourite things about WW was the addition of the camera. I really enjoyed being able to take photos (whether for a purpose or just for fun). I think I regularly did more silly things in that game than I ever really focused on the main plot.

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
- Walt Whitman

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming · Next Topic »

ERROR