Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TAG Music The Diary The Adventurers GuildSchool of Magic The Merry Moblin Money Making Thread!
Welcome to The North Castle Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Zelda Classic; the real Zelda Maker
Topic Started: 23 Dec 2017, 05:27 PM (100 Views)
King Aquamentus
Member Avatar
Squadelah! We're off!

So, I've only mentioned it a little bit at most, but for almost as long as I've been around at North Castle (if not a single day earlier, actually), I've been very big into a hobby of building customized Zelda games using Zelda Classic, a fanmade Zelda 1 engine, and its counterpart Zquest, an editor for said engine.

At first this sounds quite novel at best, essentially being like an easier way for the masses to rom hack Zelda 1 (this is not a romhacking tool nor an emulator, but a windows clone of The Legend of Zelda), but once you get past the basics, it's much, *much* more...

Posted Image

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about :P

-------------

That said, this thread is also serving to plug some of my projects, posted on PureZC. Particularly my latest endeavor:

The Legend of Zelda: Magic and Fantasy
Posted Image

There's not much to say about this that isn't in the description, except that the spritework was all done by myself, and is a first for me seeing as how all my other "quests" are more or less the original game's graphics.
-------------------Instructions-----------------
1: You will need to download the program (which comes with an editor to make your own content) in order to play downloaded quests. When you download a quest, unzip the quest file (.qst) to the same folder as the Zelda Classic program (in other words, you'll be unzipping Zelda Classic as well, so just put the quests in it's folder.)

2: start Zelda Classic and navigate to the file select screen (it looks much like the one from the original game)

3: "register your name" and create a save file.

4: while still on the file select screen, press the assigned "A" button (not the A key, mind you. By default, this should be the left alt key. However, you can change these controls in settings.)
this will bring up a submenu asking if you want to load a custom quest. Press the button again to confirm and get a file explorer dialogue.

5: navigate to the quest file you downloaded. Remember, it has to be unzipped first, or the explorer might not even see it. additionally, make sure it is in the Zelda Classic folder for your convenience, because that's the first place the explorer will open up to

6: select the file, open, confirm you want to play it, and then after a brief moment, you can select the file and begin the game. (the Link sprite next to the file may change to something else at this point: it is a customizable quest element, adding a little extra flair)

7: enjoy truly endless adventure

downloads-------------

Zelda Classic

The current version, 2.50.2, is available for PC, Mac, and Linux.

For an extensive and large database of quests, visit PureZC. Keep in mind, some of these quests were designed for older versions of the program and might not work right with the new one. However, there is an archive of older versions. Pay attention to the version number of the quest you download. Newer content should work fine with the current version, but older content works best on the version it was designed in.

Hey! The New Captain N has its own website! Start reading it again!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Joran
Member Avatar
The Seeker
This is cool. I didn't even know there was a Zelda version of this concept and for this long. It brings to mind the only other fan made thing I've heard of, Mega Maker. Of course there's Mario Maker as well but that's an official thing.

I might just have to try this thing. Thanks for sharing!
Posted Image

Alaina and Andrea, you are my roses. Please know that.

King Aquamentus
Member Avatar
Squadelah! We're off!

No problem. A bit surprised with myself that I haven't mentioned it more

Raven Ironclaw
Member Avatar
Peasant
Dang talk about a Christmas Present! These maker things have been big since Mario Maker. Anybody see the Mega Man maker?
Zelda is Love
Zelda is Life

I've not been here in a long time, but I am happy to see it is not quite so dead.

Junglelady
Member Avatar

Raven Ironclaw
26 Dec 2017, 05:32 PM
Dang talk about a Christmas Present! These maker things have been big since Mario Maker. Anybody see the Mega Man maker?
I haven't, but this is super cool. I have seen Super Mario Maker though and thought it was pretty interesting. Now if only we could bring back Mario Paint and the music composition portion of the game...

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying" - Oscar Wilde

Semper eadem

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
- Walt Whitman

King Aquamentus
Member Avatar
Squadelah! We're off!

Raven Ironclaw
This predates Mario Maker by over a decade actually.

Raven Ironclaw
Member Avatar
Peasant
King Aquamentus
15 Jan 2018, 02:41 AM
Raven Ironclaw
This predates Mario Maker by over a decade actually.
Well, shows you how much I know! lol

Seriously, i should give this a try when i have free time from school...which is almost never by the way. Nah I'm kidding I could find some time.
Zelda is Love
Zelda is Life

I've not been here in a long time, but I am happy to see it is not quite so dead.

King Aquamentus
Member Avatar
Squadelah! We're off!

Some other quest highlights include things like Megaman: Doctor Wily's Revenge Director's Cut (not related to the Gameboy game of the same name), Mario's Insane Rampage (R-rated humor), and a recent entry, Link's Quest for the Hookshot.

here's some of the highest rated quests on it

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Triforce Tower · Next Topic »

ERROR