Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TAG Music The Diary The Adventurers GuildSchool of Magic The Merry Moblin Money Making Thread!
Welcome to The North Castle Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
The Author Questionnaire
Topic Started: 1 Aug 2005, 10:41 AM (2,332 Views)
thebawp
Member Avatar
Penguin Collector

Right. I know we have a fair few budding authors frequenting this board, so what better than a questionnaire to find out a bit more about you all. Just copy and paste the questions into your reply and answer the ones you want to! Additionally, if you think of any other questions we can ask, pm me and I'll add them.
-theBawp

Code:

[b]How old were you when you began writing?[/b]

[b]Any reason for why you started?[/b]

[b]How many stories have you written?[/b]

[b]Have you ever co-written?  If so, which did you prefer? Co-writing or solo?[/b]

[b]What do you prefer to write? Fanfic or orignal stuff?[/b]

[b]Which fandoms have you written stories for?[/b]

[b]What's your favourite fandom to write for?[/b]

[b]What/who are your influences?[/b]

[b]Favourite fanfic author? Favourite professional author?[/b]

[b]Favourite fanfic (that isn't your own!)? Favourite novel?  [/b]

[b]What's the best thing you've ever written? Tell us a little about it.[/b]

[b]Who's your favourite character to write about?  Tell us a little about them.[/b]

[b]What kind of stuff do you prefer to write about?[/b]

[b]What's your favourite quote from one of your fics?  [/b]

[b]Where do you post your work?  Give us a link![/b]

[b]Ever had writer's block?   [/b]

[b]Any plans for the future?[/b]

[b]Any regrets?  [/b]

[b]Any tips for other writers?[/b]

[b]Anything else we forgot to ask?[/b]

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

thebawp
Member Avatar
Penguin Collector

Double posting I know, but I might as well start off!

How old were you when you began writing?
I've written since I was a wee bairn. My earliest writing memory was being congratulated by my teacher for a story I'd written about an ice rink (that's all I remember about it!) and being sent to the head mistress to have a go in the lucky dip bag. Can't remember what I won.

Any reason for why you started?
It was one of the few things I seemed to be decent at.

How many stories have you written?
Too hard to count. Serious stories, which I've finished and written with Juliet...the tally would be close to twenty I think. Solo, there's probably less than half a dozen that I've finished and can remember.

Have you ever co-written? If so, which did you prefer? Co-writing or solo?
Yes, with my sister. There are times when I like to write solo, but I have to be bitten by the writing bug. It's good to co write with Jules though, because if I'm having trouble, or vice versa, we can generally rely on one another to keep the story going.

What do you prefer to write? Fanfic or orignal stuff?
I like doing both. However, I seem to be better at writing about other people's characters. <_<

Which fandoms have you written stories for?
Zelda, Star Fox, Ultima, Neverwinter Nights, Indiana Jones, The X-Files, Buffy.

What's your favourite fandom to write for?
It's a close thing between Zelda, Star Fox and Indiana Jones. As I'm currently in Zelda mode at the moment, I'll plump for Zelda.

What/who are your influences?
Don't laugh. I'd cite my influences as eighties cartoons, the fandoms I've already mentioned, my sister, Kate Williams (who wrote the Sweet Valley High books), Joe Dever (who wrote the Lone Wolf adventure series), the Matrix (oh yes, believe it), Robin Hood: PoT, Lego, Nintendo, Richard Garriot (creator of Ultima), J.K. Rowling, Enid Blyton, Steve Jackson (Fighting Fantasy books), Terry Pratchett (disc world series) Red Dwarf, my dad, Texas (the band). There's a lot more I'm sure, but those are the ones I can remember.

Favourite fanfic author? Favourite professional author?
It's tough, I'd say it's between Laura Campbell and Megan O'Shea. Professional author...it's have to be Chuck Palanhuik, Thomas Harris or Stephen King.

Favourite fanfic (that isn't your own!)? Favourite novel?
Pathways to Darkness by Megan O'Shea and the Dark Realm by Laura Campbell. Wizzrobe by Andrew Vant is also a favourite. You can read all of them in the BotU fanfiction library. Favourite novel...probably Wizard and Glass by Stephen King.

What's the best thing you've ever written? Tell us a little about it.
Probably a Starfox short I wrote in seven days about Fox's days at the Corneria Flight Training Academy.

Who's your favourite character to write about? Tell us a little about them.
That's tough. For original characters, I always enjoy writing scenes with Fayette because she's a total, unashamed bitch. She says what no one else can. Dion Insequi is also very fun to write about because, like Fayette, he can say the most outrageous things and get away with it. Leigh Temple is the same, although I've reread some of her lines and thought 'what a stupid cow.' She's a character I have a love/hate relationship with.

For unoriginal characters, Ganon is always a favourite, as is Link. But I think out of all the characters that aren't mine, I like writing about Fox McCloud best. He's a very likeable character, very gentle and courageous. If he wasn't a six foot fox, he'd be my ideal man.

What kind of stuff do you prefer to write about?
Fighting, whether it's swords, laser guns or cat fights. I enjoy writing most stuff though, it depends what my mood is like. Character deaths are always a challenge.

What's your favourite quote from one of your fics?
I'll cheat and throw in a few ;)

"I'm sure there must be a law about this! It's not right, I was perfectly comfortable, then you go and dump me in this place. What's so special about this Ganondorf? I could take him on with my left arm alone. Did you ever pause to think that he might bend the sword to his will then start killing everyone, did you? It could very well happen!" shrieked Arcadian again. Leigh ignored him.
~~~~~
"Well you've hardly changed. I can still you're still the impudent nothing you always were," said Leigh, folding her arms. Fayette gaped at Leigh, offended by her words.
"Did it ever occur to you that I might not want to hear your opinion of me?" she snapped.
"Yes, right before the words came from my mouth," retorted Leigh
~~~~~
"We're not lost we're just not very near any exit."
-Dion

Where do you post your work? Give us a link!
Most of my stuff is posted at North Castle. Otherwise it's at fanfiction.net under the alias of Arcadionseye. I don't post there anymore though.

Ever had writer's block?
For about the last three years at least. I think it's finally beginning to lift. I'm actually enjoying writing again. ^^

Any plans for the future?
Well I've recently been writing more Zelda stuff, although it's of a more original slant. Think the descendants of Ewan and co.

Any regrets?
Killing Kain in one book. That was ridiculous. And Juliet will never forgive me for killing Aramis. I also sometimes wonder whether killing Leigh Temple was the right thing to do. But I'm pretty sure now that she had to go.

Any tips for other writers?
Write for yourself, not other people. As soon as you start thinking 'I need to do this' you're going to stop enjoying yourself. That's how it was for me. Just write what you want to write.

Anything else we forgot to ask?
Nope, I think I've covered everything. ;)
Posted Image

Lady Juliet
Member Avatar
Lady of the Castle

I'm not sure, probably when I was in junior school, I know I was drawing earlier than writing because I won lots of art competitions as a child.

I've got no idea, I suppose I just liked expressing myself artistically in various ways and writing happened to be one of them.

Too many to count! Loads of unfinished ones, I'd say there's more than 25 altogether! And that's not counting anything I did when I was younger!

Co-writing because when you're stuck, the other person can help you out. But I'm very fussy and wouldn't currently consider co-writing with anyone other than Kirst. I've got solo projects but they aren't very good., in my eyes at least. I've got a few Zelda ones to finish up on so you can decide for yourselves!

Fanfic by far. I'm no good with original :(

Zelda, Starfox, Indiana Jones, X-Files, Mario Bros, Monkey Island, Count Duckula, Ultima and I think that's about it!

Zelda probably because I feel like I know the characters inside out and I'm very fond of them all.

Tolkien because the amazing huge worlds he created. Ultima and Richard Garriot. Sweet Valley High (as so kindly pointed out by those people at that fanfiction slagging off site who slated mine and Kirst's work, funny thing was, it was true!). Enid Blyton's 'Famous Five' (they r0x0red!). History in general. Ancient myths and legends. Shigsy Miyamoto. World cultures. Music. Everyday life. My friends. There's loads I just can't thing!

I haven't got a favourite fanfic author in particular, I like a lot of writers. My favourite author is Tolkien.

I have lots of favourite fanfictions. I'm really enjoying the Secrets series by Wizera currently. My favourite novel is probably Lord of the Rings by Tolkien or 1984 by George Orwell.

I don't think I've written anything really amazing to be honest. I feel my own work is very flat and boring. I suppose I rely on Kirst a lot since she's an excellent writer. I've never really moved or improved and I'm pretty much bog standard.

I love Sophia Hapgood from Fate of Atlantis but she's not mine, she belongs to Hal Barwood. I like her cos she's just impetuous but really smart too. She can take Indy on at his own game anyday!

Fantasy, swords and chivalry, all that crap. I'll go for the odd bit of sci-fi for a change. Romance and arguments. are my forte. Anything that's a bit tangled and twisted. In a romantic way anyway!

Probably something Sal said. I can't think at the moment.

I don't as a rule. You have to ASK me for it. You can get all my Zelda stuff at NC though.

Ever had writer's block?

All the time. More often than not unfortunately :( I never used to get it but the stress of day-to-day living and having other things on your mind can cause a lot of it I think.

I'm keeping stchum! ;)

Any regrets?

Not finishing the Starfox stuff. It was going really well. I'll have to someday. Also killing off Aramis because he was a bit of a twat and all the other guys in the Zelda books are too nice. It would have been nice to have a bad lad :D

Write what YOU want, not what other people want. I can't stand it when I see people saying things like "I'll update when you review this". I wouldn't wait for ANYONE to give me a review! I just do my own thing and always have done.

Nah I'll only bore you!
Posted Image
Visit North Castle - the vintage Legend of Zelda fansite!

Megan O'Shea
Member Avatar
Keeper of the Spanish Pants Cat

I was 5 I think, if I go back to the earliest stories I've ever done. If I go back to when I seriously started thinking on making it a career someday far into the future, I think I was 15.

I don't remember any particulars, I think I just got bored one day and decided to type something out.

That's a tough count. I've written four or five complete ones, but if I count all the ones I have rotting incomplete, I'd say like 20 or so.

I write alone a lot, although I've paired up with some people for a few things here and there. Generally, unless I feel that a co-writer and I are on 'the same page,' I generally prefer working alone.

It's a toss-up, I don't have a preference.

Zelda, mostly. Although I've been contemplating doing some for Mario and The Nightmare Before Christmas. Oh, and stuff from the game Grim Fandango is chewing at me too. :P

Zelda, I'd say.

I have a lot. Robin Hobb, Anne Rice, Jack London, almost anything I can get my hands on. Oh, and Robin Wayne Bailey, too.

Fanfic author. Hmm, it's been awhile since I last really read any fanfic authors, but from what I have read, Juliet's and Kirsty's stuff would have to be tops on the list. Professionally, I'd say it's a tie between Robin Hobb and Robin Wayne Bailey.

Favorite fanfic: Amulet of Nagul. Favorite Novel: Fool's Fate

I never looked at something I've done and called it 'the best.' My best is yet to come, always.

It would have to either be Ewan (when I'm borrowing him from Juliet and Kirsty) or Isktyr and Istas. I also enjoy doing scenes with Claudia, who is unrelated to the previous three. Describing any of them would take up more space than I have time to relate, so I guess you'll just have to read about them. :P

I don't have too much of a preference, usually my stuff ends up turning out one way or another. If I had a choice, I'd say anything dream-like or spiritual.

I don't really have any quotes that are sticking right now.

North Castle and Deviantart, mostly.

www.bloodrose83.deviantart.com

Ever had writer's block?

Plenty of times. Each time sucks.

Maybe become a novelist, but for the moment, keep to my writing commissions, submit things to magazines, and get through school.

Any regrets?

Nope.

Do not only what you want to do to succeed, work even on the days you don't feel inspired. Having self-discipline benefits you in all areas of life.

I think all that pretty much covers it.
"Just a big burst of friggin' sunshine. That's me."

Janus
Member Avatar
Lovely, lovely man.

I wouldn't honestly consider myself much of an author - not out of modesty, but out of lacking a body of work. Aside from school essays (which I do occasionally enjoy enough to consider personal works) I might write one or two short stories in as many years. I get ideas, but I very rarely sit down and just write. And when I do, it's usually just about myself and thoughts I have - blog material, not story material. But, I am after all changing my major to English, and in the future I'm probably going to be focusing on writing more. So I might as well.

For myself, you mean. Well, I think I was in the 7th grade. We had to write journal entries every day. She'd give us some little snippet to start with and we could go somewhere with that or strike out on our own. I struck out on my own, and a one paragraph assignment turned into about a dozen full sheets of notebook paper, front and back, in my own free time. I only have the vaguest recollection of what I was doing with that story.

What can I say? It was fun. Writing is a bridge to the imagination.

Not more than a handful.

I haven't co-written, but in fact, I have a good friend who seems likely to major in English as well, and I've discussed writing with him before and he seems amenable. The only thing is, he reads a ton of sci-fi and I read a ton of fantasy, and while we do have some common ground, I worry about creative clashes. I think I can be flexible, though.

What do you prefer to write? Fanfic or original stuff?

Well, original. I've written very little fanfiction.

Zelda.

By default, Zelda.

Hm. Well, I think Tolkien had a lot to do with getting me started. It was in 7th grade when I read The Hobbit. It was at the time the largest book I'd ever read, the first 'adult' book, and I found it really exciting and captivating. I think it sparked something for me. As for current influences - I guess I pick up things here and there from everything I read.

To be honest, I don't read much fanfiction these days. I used to love Juliet and Kirsty's, though, or I wouldn't be here. ;) Favorite professional author...ah...tough to say. I can't choose just one and I don't want to try.

Likewise, can't narrow it down much. Sorry to in effect brush aside the question. :P

Best? Uh... I couldn't tell you what my 'best' is. I don't have anything I'm even terribly proud of. But okay, we'll say the second to last thing I wrote. I was half asleep and suddenly felt inspired, and I typed up this really brief story about a boy learning to fly.

I don't consistently write about anyone but myself. And while you might say I'm a character, not in the sense you're asking. :P

Fantasy. Give me wizards and swords any day of the week. And every day outside the week.

Are we perchance obsessed with the word 'favorite'? <_< That's murder on indecisive folk like me. I'll pick something out from the story I mentioned, I guess.

"There wasn't half a moment where I doubted myself, but to look at me, you would've said I was hesitant. I closed my eyes and took everything in. The whispers of the wind, encouraging, coolly caressing my back through the mauve silk of my robe and shifting the dark, uncombed hair curling around my neck. In contrast to the rising warmth of the morning, and the updrafts, which mingled with the cooler breeze to create a supreme sense of comfort, of being OUT there, of being UP there - already I had an idea what it would feel like. Well, that's what I thought, anyway. I didn't really have any idea."

I don't really post my work. I stuck one short up on Justin's board a long time ago, and I'll occasionally show something to some friends, but I don't post it anywhere in the open!

Ever had writer's block?

I think it's safe to say I perpetually have writer's block. Or maybe it's just laziness. It amounts to the same thing.

I'd like to be professionally published someday - possibly co-authoring with my buddy.

Any regrets?

I regret that I haven't developed my writing ability over the years. When I see what kids who are scarcely teenagers, what some 13 year olds can write, yeah, I regret lost time.

Stay sharp. Pay attention to what you write. Don't be repetitive unless it's for a specific purpose. By repetitive, I refer to both word choice and phrasing. Don't use the same things over and over when you have better options. If you see yourself doing that a lot, go ahead with it, then go back and revise. Pull out a dictionary, or better yet, a good thesaurus, and learn some synonyms for the future. English is delightfully redundant, but flexible enough that each synonym can have a different meaning or effect depending on the connotation.

Sure. How about...

Do you have anything special you do or say that gets you in the mood to write?

Music's always good. Ironically, absolute silence too - early in the morning or late at night, when nobody's up. I think if I took a notebook with me and went for a walk while the world was sleeping, walked down a normally busy street devoid of any traffic, it might stir up some creativity, a desire to "fill in" the world!
Posted Image

SUPER DRAGONS sig of awesome by Liah.%mh%1002%mh%

linkmaste
Unregistered

About 11 I only just begun lol.

I got ideas for stories that noone else has ever made and I would really love to see those ideas on paper.

I have written 3 full finished stories. About 5 stoies are in the making though.

I have never co-written.

I would like to do fanfics because I have some movatvation there already.

Zelda but Im getting a idea for a Kim Possible and The Incredables.

Zelda because its the only ones I have written :lol: .

You mean inspraion? Well I geuss music, other stories, and dreams.

Favourite is Tacofiredwings with her hilarious Wind Waker fic. And Kasuto with his great detailed stoires. And Steven King, Tolkien.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. For novels are The Shining and Tolkien' Simmlarion.

I would have to say On Summers day. Its about a festival that Link and his friends go and discover how fun everything can be. Also sort of a romance but I try not to think of like that :D .

Linkmaste because her personality and ablitles are a wonder and can almost make any situation intersting. She was turned to a monster by the Mages (followers fo Ganon) and is sepreated from her twin borther Linkmaster. If you would like to know more then read my works.

Horror, Mystery, Action and Adventure. Im not a big fan of the mushy goshy love.

I will tell you as soon as I found one ;) .

Im a lazy bum so just go to Lysia's fanfiction section. I may post a fanfic at North Castle but I would have to get loads better.

Ever had writer's block?
Im currenlty suffering one now :( .

In writing? Make a great story that everyone will know. Other things? Rule the world and become a great soccer player B] .

Any regrets?
Yeah putting up Stress and Games, my first fic XD .

EDIT EDIT EDIT!

Nope nothing I can see.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mysterious
Member Avatar
The Black Rose
Lets see i was in the ninth grade so that would put me at about... hmmmm 15 or so and i have been doing it ever since.

There really isn't any good reason... well yes mainly just a dream.. i just wish one day I could see my work being published or made into a movie.

oh god hard questions... *counts* i am going to give a guess of about 35 i have finished.

Acutally yes and it is a pain... i think it is just beacuse of the person i did it with... I would rather be writing alone although you can get good ideas from other people i am just aloner.

I actually like to do both though if you read my fanfics i do have alot f orignal characters in them.

Just zelda

Zelda just mainly because i like the medevial feel of it.

other authors... movies... songs... pictures... teachers that i don't listen to.. lol pretty much anything.

I really don't have one i liked to read really anything i can get my hands on and if i have the time.

don't have one.... and Invanhoe

i would have to say the Flaming Force and although it s a work in progess it is by far my best and my lifes work... Very complex story i mean it starts out simple and then things started to just get crazy.. you have this big love thing going on... I mean this knight Eric falls in love with the older daughter of the king named Andrea... Zelda falls for a prince in the neighboring kingdom.. .Link falls for his new partner Sage... Andrea turns out to be Sage who is the daughter Of Ganon and from that point Link rejects her.. and during all this they are trying to beat Dargon the younger child of Ganon to this thing called the flaming Force and i would tell you what the flaming force is but it is a surprise.. don't want to give away the best part.

Mysterious hands done... She is the most complex character to role play and write yet you can't help but feel sorry for her... When i write her in zelda fan fictoin she is a Hylian or Sheikah she can't be sure... that was turned by the vampire Vondorian once he attacked her village.. the transformation didn't fully take leaving her half vampire... after being trained since the age of 8 by him for his drity work she ended up killing him and moving on.. from there it is just one bad relationship after another and Vondorian still hunts her dreams mainly because he is still alive.

It changes so often but mainly you can almost always be cercain there is going to be a head strong willful female as the main character.

"Darkness walks among us, hidden within the black society of lies and death..."

I don't really post my work anywhere, expect my fan fictions and you can read them on the main site or here http://www.legendofzeldaseries.tk/ i usualy write under the name Mysterious or Mysterious Hylain Warrior.

Ever had writer's block?
Yes it seems like all the time now adays.. my writing has been at a stop point for about half a year now.

Not really

Any regrets?
I wish i would have you know just followed up with my writing as in a way of a job.. but i don't think i would like doing it then.

I would just say read what is out there and read as many different things as you can.. And take notice to how others do it and how their style is.. it does help alot in finding your own style of writing.
Posted Image

Cardboard Tube Knight
Member Avatar
Champion
I think I was about nine or ten.

Well I guess I just liked the idea of writing, but after reading Juliet and Kirsty's stories I really got into it.

I can't even count, I have so many reincarnations of the same thing really.

I really enjoyed co-writing, I wrote one with Megan a while back and one more recently with Kay. I would love to do it again.

Original stuff, fan fic is just not for me. I might still do it. I'm planning an Evangelion fan fic and still also wanting to do an Angel one.

Zelda, Final Fantasy, Angel, Mario, Pokemon, X-Files, Evangelion, and I think that's all.

Hmm, Angel, because I know the most about it.

Juliet, Kirsty, Megan, Kay, S.D. Perry, and Anne Rice. I kind of use music to write too.

Megan and Anne Rice.

I can't think of one.

I wrote a story about two girls helping a vampire to fight someone, it doesn't really have a name. Just a code name it goes by.

Claudia, she's this vampire chracter that Megan made up and let me use sometimes.

Hmm, action and adventure.

I can't even think of one. I don't really have one. And if I did, I probably couldn't type it here.

I don't.

Ever had writer's block?
Yep.

Just to keep writing.

Any regrets?
Nope.

Don't give up.

Nope
"And so three cheers for my morose and grieving pals,
And now let's hear it for the tears that i've welled up,
We've come too far to have to give it all up now,
We live lives that are rich and blessed,
And we'll burn for how we transgress..."

FireHawk
Member Avatar
SQUAAAAWK!
Seeing as how I'm considering taking my writing in new directions, I might as well revive this thread with my own boring answers! ;)

I have no idea. I remember when I was younger, I used to spend hours sat at our old typewriter, churning out stories (and illustraing them afterwards!).

Something to do, I guess!

Well, there's about ten on my website at the moment, but I have absolutely no idea how many stories I've written before that lot.

Never co-written. I guess I ought to try at some point, but for now all my work's done solo.

Original. It takes me longer to write even a short story than it does for me to create a picture, so I would rather use my own creations. Plus there's nothing quite like creating your own characters and unleashing hell upon them!

I know I've written stuff based on Mario and Star Fox in the past. And if you count the insane article 'Is Link a Timelord', add Zelda and Doctor Who to the list!

I would have to say Star Fox. The characters are such a wacky bunch!

I'm not sure, really, but I have been partially inspired by the following TV series/video games/authors/whatevers; Mutant X, Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, Soul Calibur 2, Terry Pratchett, Blue Moon Mountain (lovely book I've kept from my childhood), Zelda (annoying fairies, anyone?). Basically, almost anything can inspire me if it hits the right note.

I'm not sure for fanfic authors. As for profesional ones, I would have to go with Terry Pratchett again!

Not so sure about both, really.

That's evil, since even the best of my work could use improvements! However, I'm very fond of my 'Gary the Gryph' series. Although it reads more like a sitcom rather than a proper story, I love writing it, especially since it gives me my biggest chance to show how I sometimes see the fantasy world.

Gary! I know it's cruel, but sometimes it's a lot of fun sticking the poor sod in one bad situation after another.

I also enjoyed writing about Captain Fleabag and his men in 'Sword of Destiny', Spitback the space assassin in 'The Star Man', and Jason Supernova and Nigel in 'The Star Man' (I swear, I could not get that story to flow properly until those two characters were together!).

I like writing humour best. I can never create a completely serious story, there's got be humour in there in some way. I also prefer writing about animal characters to humans, probably because I can imagine individual animal characters in my head better than humans.

Having said that though, I can surprise myself with what I can write sometimes!

I've quite a few favourites, but this one sticks out in my mind for some reason...

'We’re supposed to be pirates looking for the Golden Sword of Destiny, and instead you suggest that we look as though we’re doing a conga dance in the middle of the jungle!' - Captain Fleabag (Sword of Destiny)

My website. There's already a link to that in my sig so there's no point in posting it here!

Ever had writer's block?
Yes. Frequently.

I'm trying out a different kind of writing for now.

Any regrets?
None that spring to mind at the moment.

As you write, your characters can - and will - develop their own personalities. Even the best laid plot can go wrong or even grind to a halt if a character doesn't react well to it (and by 'react well', I mean 'react enough to allow the story to continue'. They don't neccesarily (sp?) have to like it), no matter how much you might hate the alternative plot. Learn what makes your little creations tick.

Not as far as I know.
My Arty Goodness!
My Youtube Goodness!
My Retro Gaming Goodness!
My VG Merch Goodness!

You know it's gotta be awesome when you're flying a jeep through space going apes**t with Nintendo controllers - Angry Video Game Nerd

Wizera
Member Avatar
The Silver Eyed Demon
I had no idea this was here. Cool.

Well, I started writing stories in school, usually about space hampsters. I suppose I started writing for fun in middle school when I began my own space epic called "Spinoff." So that made me...what? About twelve.

When I started middle school, there was progressively less and less time for games of make believe. The school didn't have a playground and we didn't get recess. I had to channel that energy somewhere, so writing became my medium of choice.

Lots...

Actually, I'm currently co-writing a novel with my best friend (the inspiration for Carry!) and we've got a good 200 pages. We hope to publish.

I think I prefer solo writing, just because I don't have to work around anyone's schedule but my own, however co-writing has distinct advantages. When I get writer's block, I have someone to help me plow through it.

Honestly, it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. The advantage to writing fanfics is that people already have the background information they need, whereas in original stuff, you need to provide it.

Of course, there's a lot more freedom in original stuff. You don't get people complaining "You didn't follow the story!"

Zelda, the Crystal Realm/Phoenix Fighters RPG, some Star Trek and Star Wars, and Greek mythology.

Definitely Zelda.

Sugar has a strong influence on my writing style :blink:

It would be hard to choose a favorite fanfic author, but I will say that the first author's work I ever read was Topaz989 and I will never forget "The One Wish Giver."

My favorite professional authors include Peter David, Homer, and Shakespeare.

As I said before, my favorite fanfic is probably "The One Wish Giver." I like funny things.

My favorite novel is either "Q-Squared" by Peter David or "The Iliad" by Homer.

Huh. I'm hoping that in good time, the best thing I've ever written will be the novel I'm working on with my friend. We call it the "Great American Novel" or just "The Novel" but there is a title in the works. Whenever someone asks me "What's your novel about?" I always get flustered and tend to stutter. It's sort of hard to describe. It's Macbeth meets Hamlet meets religious texts meets Friends meets LOTR. Wow, that was specific... :huh:

It's a toss up between Richard (LA) and Catsy (Original character based on LA), both from my "Secrets" series. Richard is fun because he's just such a pompous jackass. Catsy is fun because she's such a mystery and has the best wardrobe. Sadly, I won't get to write about either in the future. Phil and Ariadne are my favorites from the "Guardians" series.

I hate writing fight scenes. Generally speaking, romance, big revalations, and funny scenes are my favorites. When I set out to write my "Secrets" series, there was one scene in particular that I was looking forward to for years and years, one of the last scenes in "Siren's Song" between Catsy, Zelda, and Link.

Either...
"They would be together forever, this much the pantheon knew. This was their destiny, the result of the decisions they had made. And such was the nature of dreams: They came from the heart."
Or...
"The greatest test of Power is knowing when not to use it."
Or...
"You don't want to eat Link. Link tastes bad. You want to eat…you want to be a vegetarian."

Obviously, most of my stuff is on North Castle:
http://www.northcastle.co.uk/guild/story.html

I have some fanfiction posted for my RPG under the name of Tranns:
http://www.geocities.com/phoenixfighters

And I've just submitted stuff to Lysia's site:
http://www.legendofzeldaseries.com/

I used to have things up on Kasuto.net, but then the "Post Your Own" section went away...

Ever had writer's block?
Only all the time...

I'm planning to start a new series sometime by the end of the year about the Gerudo. Unfortunately, see the question above...

Any regrets?
Letting my mother type out my first handwritten draft of "Secrets." I'm still finding typos!

I know it sounds cheesy, but seriously, the more you enjoy writing a scene, the better it will be.

Nope.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
"whiz-EAR-uh"

ScrumYummy
Member Avatar
Initiate
About eight.

I had to write a "book" for school (they showed us how to make our own "books" and we had to write a story). I was always making up stories, but that was the first time I had written one down.

Too many to count. Plus, many of them have been lost to the winds.

Yes! Co-writing is so much fun. And it takes off so much of the workload ^o^

Original.

Back when I was 13, I had a ton of Sailor Moon fanfics XD and even a popular website for them (made popular because it won a contest on SailorMoon.com).

I don't write fanfics anymore. I've lost the taste for them.

Neil Gaiman, Robert Jordan, Anne Rice, Oscar Wilde.

Neil Gaiman, Jill Thompson.

The most popular thing I've written was this sci-fi/action/comedy about teenagers that fought aliens (sounds cheezy and done to death, I know, but it was actually more of a sattire than anything else). I wrote about a chapter a week and posted it online, and had a small following. It died, though, when I didn't post a new one for several months (I had good reasons).

Seth. I'd rather not talk about him.

Scifi, action-adventure, fantasy, comedy. Usually several mixtures therin. My writings are usually very entertaining, although there isn't much to them past that (such as a deep meaning or any of that jazz).

I quit posting my stuph online when I found this girl re-posting it as her own work.

Ever had writer's block?
Yes. It usually accompanies depression.

I want to be a children's book author/illustrator. My husband is in the process of becoming a cop, so after he gets settled in with his job, I want to be a house-wife, do art, and write ^^

Any regrets?
The girl that was stealing my work was one of my "friends." So I kind of regret falling into her trap.

Edit, edit, edit.
-Scrum
Posted Image

Lady Juliet
Member Avatar
Lady of the Castle

Wizera can I just say I think Catsy should have her own spin off series :D
Posted Image

Cardboard Tube Knight
Member Avatar
Champion
I must have been about eleven or tweleve.

Well it was mostly because I liked to write a lot, but then when I read the stories written be Juliet and Kirsty I really got into it.

I would have to say that there are at least thirty.

I have twice with Megan O’Shea both times, I really enjoyed, I can’t say that I enjoyed one more than the other.

Original stuff, I think I really have gotten tired of fan fiction because I just feel so limited when I write it.

Final Fantasy, Zelda, Pokemon, X-Files, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Fullmetal Alchemist, Kingdom Hearts, Mario, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, and there are more, I don’t care to name them all.

Hmm, the one I had the most fun with was the Resident Evil.

Juliet and Kirst, Megan O’Shea, my friend Kay, Anne Rice, and some other people.

I don’t really have either

Hmm dunno.

I don’t really know, its debatable, I think it was this vampire story I wrote.

I don’t really have one, I like writing most of them.

Sci-Fi when it comes to long stories, but if it needs to be short anything goes.

I don’t have one.

I don’t post it normally.

Ever had writer's block?
Yeah

Not yet

Any regrets?
The 80s

Not really, just practice and write from experience.

How annoying I think surveys are? lol
"And so three cheers for my morose and grieving pals,
And now let's hear it for the tears that i've welled up,
We've come too far to have to give it all up now,
We live lives that are rich and blessed,
And we'll burn for how we transgress..."

Dark Link
Member Avatar
Royal Knight
I'm gonna put mine in :)

I've been making up stories in my head since infancy :) I must have been about eleven when I started writing fanfic, because that's when my mother first got a word processor and I started mucking about on it making things up about the world of Sonic, but I didn't know it was fanfic until I was 15 and got on the Internet for the first time.

The first real fanfic I read was a NiGHTS fanfic and I thought "I can do better"

A squintillion. Seriously? I don't know. I put it all in one folder once and it came to something over 10Mb but it might be a bit more than that now because there have been more ELOZE chapters since then.

I've co-written with several people using several methods. Tag-teaming (a page a person, a scene a person, a line a person), RPing on instant messengers and writing the chatlogs into a story, forum-based RP of the interactive story kind. I think I enjoyed the IM version most, but all my old RP buddies are gone or have lost interest :(

What do you prefer to write? Fanfic or original stuff?
I want to write original stuff, when I have finished this one last fanfic.

Lots, but the only ones that have been read by anyone are Sonic and Zelda. I have some NiGHTS and FF7 stuff that nobody has ever seen. Was co-writing a very silly Pokemon one with a friend for laughs. Oh yeah and my bro and I decided to troll FFN once, and tag-teamed some Dragonball Z stories under the pseudonym SSJ3VEGETTA6645, and it's about what you'd expect. The most hilarious thing about that episode was the number of people we got offering to beta-read "Vegeta ad his psx" (sic)

My own, lol. My Zeldaverse is huge and sprawling and getting to have very little in common with the gameverse, unfortunately. It'd be easier if Ninty didn't keep moving the damn goalposts plotwise.

Tolkien, Robin Hobb, Terry Pratchett, Sheri Tepper, Tad Williams, Beowulf, Chaucer, old English and early medieval lit in general... hmm, Star Wars XD

I don't read fanfics any more, and Tolkien

See above, and The Silmarillion, if that's even a novel.

ELOZE, apparently. And uh, it's big.

What I like to do generally is take something that has been given marginal consideration and run with it, see where it goes. I especially like to flesh out bad guys and come up with ideas about what might make them tick. I hate it when villains are written as cardboard cutout "RULE DA WORRRLD" types, and there are a lot of really very dull villain characters, so the villains are often a focal point for me. One of the Sonic stories I wrote was called The Diary of Dr. Robotnik and it was written entirely sympathetic to Ivo's point of view. I tried to make him into a real person that people would come to really feel for. And then I can mess with their heads. That's the sort of thing I like.

I know Dark Link is now a poster child for the emo set in Zelda, but when I wrote my first fanfic in early 1998 he'd had almost no attention. I think I may have written the first Dark Link fanfic (as opposed to Zelda fanfic that happens to have Dark Link in). I certainly know that a lot of people very quickly started using my old description of him, which is unfortunate, because if they got the inspiration from me then I am the one who inflicted the tan-skin-ruby-eyes curse upon the world. Sorry everyone. :(

See above :) Bad guys, things that I think deserve development.

...that's a good one. :\ There's so much of that damn story to wade through that I really don't know if I can give one. I have favourite chapters XD I can give plenty of bloopers though, and a few hilarious typoes. Apparently I've written "Dragon Roast" somewhere in The Far Sea but damned if I can find it.

here, piece by piece >_> My Sonic stuff is currently down and I need to decide what to do with it, not that there's much.

Ever had writer's block?
Yes. I sort of swing between art-angst-writing-angst-art-angst... It's gotten to the stage when I think "Oh blah, all these attempts at drawing are failures, I'm a complete and utter loser... oh, wait, I know what's going on, in a few days I'm gonna get inspired to start writing again. Woohoo!"

Write that novel. Once I've got ELOZE over and done with. I've tried to write original stuff and the damn fanfic gets in the way all the time... I just decided I have to finish it before I do anything else.

Any regrets?
I regret all the time I've spent not writing.

Read good books. And put your own work aside for a week before posting it, then read it again and fix all the stuff you screwed up XD
eloze: Innnteresting
eloze: had i a goatee i would be stroking it

Posted Image

stephonikawkaye
Member Avatar
Knight
Very little. In grade school.

Books always fascinated me. I liked picture books too, and that might be a reason I love art now too.

Hard to keep track. I've written a good amount of short stories, poetry, and out of many books that I've started, only one has gotten finished [to the point of rejection from publishers, so it has been shevled for the moment].

Tried once with my best bud. She and I were writing this fantasy thing, but we only got so far as jotting don ideas and a few pages in.

Original stuff usually, but I've made an exception with my unofficial Twilight Princess novel because the material is so well conceived and it can be molded into a realistic tale.

Only Zelda, which I'm currently working on.

Apparently Zelda, since it's the only one I've written for.

Anything magical that I see, whether a miracle in life or a fantastic epic on screen. Drama, drama, drama inspires me.

Fan-fic: I dunno. Pro: R.A. Salvatore or J.K. Rowling maybe. I'm not sure.

Fan-fic: Don't read that many. Novel: It's so hard to pick. I liked the Cound of Monte Cristo novel a lot!

The best thing... Well I'd have to say my short story that I submitted to West Viriginia Young Writers' Contest this year. It won first place at state competition, so I'm pretty proud of that. I got to go to a Celebration Day this past friday and get awards and read it and the lot. It was fun. A little about it would be that it's called RETURN, and it's about this man who is lost in a world of Silence and darkness, and in the end he realizes that he is dead, and then a light shines out and he runs to it, and he is then laying in his hospital bed alive with his [wife perhaps?] at his bedside.

Um... Just characters that are well rounded and have their own faults. Emotional characters, I guess.

Tragedy is my favourite. I guess I got that from reading so much Shakespeare. :lol: Anyway, yes, tragedy and the drama. I love writing death scenes. Oh, the emotion!

I'd have to get back to you on this one....

I'll get back on this too....

Ever had writer's block?
Is that a real question? OF COURSE! Every writer does, don't they? You'd be hard pressed to find one who's never.

Books, movies, and travel.

Any regrets?
Never. There are no mistakes in life. Only choices.

There's always a critic. Don't let them get you down.

Umm, no. I guess not. This is a good enough questionaire to me. If you want to know more, well, I guess you only need to ask...! XD
With Fate there are countless paths....

paulnolan
Member Avatar
Begone. This is not for your brains.
I've been writing again recently (cue ominous thunder effects), so I thought I might as well fill this out :)

Fanfic, I started pretty late - 17 or so. Can't remember, really.

Don't remember. I think a lot of it was filling in blanks in storylines; putting what I made up into words.

Lots - not sure anymore :)

Never tried it, but there's a group of us who write stuff on AIM often, and we tend to help each other with ideas, words etc., if that counts?

Fanfic - it's fun to write about characters I already know & love, whereas OCs can come off Sueish or boring unless one is very careful. Having an established universe also helps - you don't need to waffle on with setup as much in fanfic.

Zelda, Kingdom Hearts & Silent Hill mainly, but a couple of others.

Kingdom Hearts probably - it really captured my imagination.

The main one is probably my friend Sarah (an awesome blossom on FF.net, EA on Lysia's forums). There's a lot of Stephen King influence in my stuff too.

Fanfic: Greywarrior/Yubberducky/D'Artagnan/Amy (Zelda, Suikoden V & Phoenix Wright stuff mainly) or Esse (FFVIII & KH). Professional: Mark Z. Danielewski, H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King.

Hokuhelelei by Esse (really sad FFVIII fic), and House of Leaves, respectively.

Probably a silly drabble I wrote the other day - Tingle comes over all generous & gives away all his money to the people of Hyrule. From the sky. With disastrous consequences. :D

Tingle (does anything need to be told? :) ) and Claudia Wolf (SH3 - extremely screwed up & evil but a very tragic character).

I seem to have got into the habit of writing erm... deranged monster porn? XD I like this for the silly value, but it's not really my favourite. I think my favourite style is random vignettes - just capturing an event and making it as funny/tragic as possible. Oh, and yaoi also :D

"Link was feared by every monster on the Great Sea. With his ball-gown-clad stone army, he was truly a force to be reckoned with."

My LiveJournal (warning - most of them are silly and/or disgusting - read at your own risk XD )

Ever had writer's block?
Definitely - got it at the moment actually. I'm trying to complete a fanfic100 challenge (100 fanfics using supplied prompts about one character/pairing/group - I chose Ansem's apprentices from KH) it's pretty challenging D:

Well, I plan to finish this ff100 challenge, but that'll probably take a while :/

Any regrets?
Taking on aforementioned challenge :D

Never let little things like good taste or physical possibility get in the way of your writing :D

Don't think so :)
Posted Image

Dark Hero
Member Avatar
Modern-Day Jack The Ripper
20 years old.

No real reason, other than I enjoy it.

2 so far. Both are Celebrity Deathmatch, featuring LoZ characters.

No, can't say that I have.

Fanfic. Much easier to work with, seeing as how most of the characters are already made.

Only Legend of Zelda so far.

Legend of Zelda

I'd have to say the Singleton sisters. Their work is what inspired me to start writing.

Once again, I'd have to go with the Singleton sisters in fanfic. Stan Lee is my favorite pro author. Marvel forever!

On fave fanfic, I'd have to go with Ironknuckle by Kirsty Singleton. It's got such a deep, underlying dark element to it, that makes it stand out to me. My favorite novel is the Battle for Power series by the Singleton sisters. I'm probably starting to sound like a fanboy right now, but their work is tremendous.

So far, I think that the LoZ: Celebrity Deathmatch: Fight for the Triforce fanfic is the best one that I've written.

Zant. He's one crazy S.O.B., and talks really weird, mostly just guttural noises, but translating them is just hilare.

Comedy, mostly. It's kinda hard for me to sit down and write something serious, 'cause of the voices in my head tell me to be silly, and if you can't trust the voices in your own head, who can you trust?

This one is my personal fave. It's from LoZ: Celebrity Deathmatch: Evil Villian's Edition. It's when Stacy is interviewing the Skull Kid, and calls him Pinnochio, Skull Kid gets mad, and starts beating her up:

Stacy (running around, screaming her head off): AHHHHH! GET THIS DEMENTED PUPPET OFF OF ME!!!!!

http://www.northcastle.co.uk/guild/story.html#special

Ever had writer's block?
Not really. Most of my stuff is just spur-of-the-moment, completely random stuff.

Well, I plan to start working on an LoZ sprite comic strip, that basically follows the LoZ timeline, that's a little bit of serious, and a whole lot of funny.

Any regrets?
That I haven't gotten around to taking over the world yet. But soon... yes... very soon... :devil:

Be random. It works for me. XD

Nope.
"We are Sex Bob-omb, and we are here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!" - Scott Pilgrim

Wizera
Member Avatar
The Silver Eyed Demon
paulnolan
Nov 26 2007, 04:14 PM
Never let little things like good taste or physical possibility get in the way of your writing :D

That is very catchy!
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
"whiz-EAR-uh"

eqimprisariobey
Unregistered

I really don't know. I've always been writing some sort of story as far back as I can remeber.

I don't really have an answer, but I write because I'm half-way decent, and it's really fun.

A lot. Most of them are deteriorating half finished stories.

Kind of, with Maddy and Haley. I prefer solo, because Maddy won't write because she thinks she's bad. Haley doesn't really write, but she gives me ideas for fan fictions.

Original by far. I don't like taking someone else's character, because if I write it, it will be totally out of character, and the plots are so un-original, because of certain situations in the book or show, you can't have freedom with your plot.

Phantom Stallion, Heartland, and Harry Potter

Harry Potter

Eli B. Toreson, Angela Dorsey, Virginia Vail, and Terri Farley

I don't really have a favorite fanfic author. My favorite professional author...? There are too many to list, but to get a glimpse see my previous answer.

um, Reasons Why Liking Remus is Wrong by Sirius Black, I think. Favorite Novel? Lots, but my all time favorite is If Wishes Were Horses.

I don't know. Reocurring Fire, I guess, because it's the first story that I really started to get my act together in. When I read my work from earlier, I cringe.

I have three. Draco Malfoy, Harry Potter, and most of all Sirius Black. I like writing Draco out of character, but I'm not the most serious of people, so I usually make a joke out of writing fanfics for Harry and Draco. Sirius Black, because he's AWSOME, and he gives me the freedom to be weird, and not all serious. Ironic, huh? (Serious, Sirius, haha:) Sorry.)

HORSES!!!
and spoofs of stuff

"Nu-uh." Draco stood up, steadied himself, then did the mature thing, and chanted,while doing the motions, "Don't make me snap my fingers in a Z formation, hip rotation, elbow elbow, wrist wrist, Girl, you just got dissed!"
-Draco Malfoy

"Well, um, I do pole dancing, at the gentlemen's club, and you would not imagine what we do at the tree hugger/lover club. Goodbye."
-Draco Malfoy

I have two crappy stories on fanfiction.net/~classycutie

Ever had writer's block?
I wouldn't call it that.
It's more like laziness.

Ummmmm, i have some stories to finish.

Any regrets?
trying to write fanfictions. It is really, truly, completly not my thing. I do enjoy reading them, though.

Only write when you feel like it. Don't force it upon yourself.

not really, but I'm obbsessive and love horses, and i have three horses; PE Aladda Class, Alantra, and Toby :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Lady Juliet
Member Avatar
Lady of the Castle

You're lucky to have your own horses! Just wondering if you're a Zelda fan at all, its not a huge problem but the forum is LoZ-based so just wondering what brought you to this particular one?

DH - didn't realise you were such a big fan of our work hehe, I thought your celebrity death matches were quite amusing - they've been quite popular over at the main site!

Paul - any plans on more Zelda stuff at all? :)
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Artisans Guild · Next Topic »

ERROR