Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Pirated Games Central Forums. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you can't post or do anything. If you join our community, you'll be able to join the community and discuss the wonderful things about these various bootlegged/pirated games. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, then log in already!:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
King of Fighters 99 on Everdrive MD [solved; fixed ROM now available]
Topic Started: Aug 19 2017, 07:36 AM (275 Views)
xcrazyboy92x
Member Avatar

Hello! I've been trying to get King of Fighters 99 ROM for Mega Drive running on a REAL Japanese Mega Drive 2 using EverdriveMD but for some reason after game has loaded it gives me an error message due to copy protection (but other unlicensed games work fine). So if anyone has the patched ROM for this game that REALLY works on EverdriveMD upload it for me.

Thanks!

EDIT: OS version is 36 and firmware version is 12 and I even downloaded the KOF99 MD ROM from dforce2000 site and yet still copy protection error
Edited by xcrazyboy92x, Sep 17 2017, 03:50 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Azathoth

I remember getting this same error on Sega Nomad, but not on a model 1 Genesis. I've got a cart with a fixed ROM on it, I will check to see if it behaves differently.

xcrazyboy92x
Member Avatar

I tested both ROMs of Top Fighter 2000 MKVIII and here are the results:

-Top Fighter 2000 MKVIII (Unl) [!].gen (issues (copy-protection!?); screen is black at the Title Screen but NOT in the Options Menu, shows Player Select screen on Vs. Mode but freezes)
-Top Fighter 2000 MKVIII (Unl) [f1].gen (Playable!)

It seems that the fixed ROM is fully playable on EverdriveMD so the fixed ROM of King of Fighters 99 bootleg should work too.

Azathoth

You are correct about Top Fighter 2000, the [!] version is a raw dump of the original cart with copy protection intact so it's not going to work on anything but emulators with the protection routine written into them.

The bug with the fixed version of '99 is an error exclusive to using a model 2 + Everdrive combination. If you use the Everdrive with any other hardware (model 1 or clone) it will work fine. If you load the same fixed ROM on a different copier/flash cart and plug it into a model 2, it will work.

Bootlegs of this cart only appeared within the past years because they're just using the patched from from D4S. Prior to that only the unpatched ROM was in circulation and it could only be played on certain emulators like Gens Plus that supported it.

xcrazyboy92x
Member Avatar

I see......so do I need a Model 1 US Genesis or wait for the ROM to be patched to be playable on a Model 2 Genesis/Mega Drive? I wouldn't mind buying a Model 1 Genesis just to play this game despite having a Model 2 Japanese Mega Drive......
Edited by xcrazyboy92x, Sep 7 2017, 12:26 AM.

xcrazyboy92x
Member Avatar

Hey guys!! I cracked the KOF99 ROM and got it running on a REAL Japanese Mega Drive 2!! I used Hexplorer to change the adresses so this game does NOT freeze after the error message disappears!!

EDIT: I tested the fixed cracked ROM on Fusion and it works great!!
Edited by xcrazyboy92x, Sep 7 2017, 09:42 AM.

Azathoth

Great, can you upload it to share?

Also, does anyone know what the English translation of the error message is? I've always been interested in that since no other unlicensed game I can think of has an anti piracy message.

xcrazyboy92x
Member Avatar

Here is the ROM

King of Fighters 99 Mega Drive Genesis ROM (playable on Fusion and on a flash cart)

Reached the ending with no problems with this cracked ROM
Edited by xcrazyboy92x, Sep 17 2017, 03:58 PM.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Mega Drive/Genesis · Next Topic »
Add Reply