Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Room
Topic Started: Sep 20 2016, 12:32 AM (663 Views)
waiting4atickle
Member Avatar

In view of the unenthusiastic feedback re Mulholland Drive, I haven't got round to watching that yet, but Mrs Tickle and I did watch "Room" on Saturday night. It's a bit bizarre, but quite effective and affecting.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rumbaba
Member Avatar

Get a room :)

Mobson
Member Avatar

waiting4atickle
Sep 20 2016, 12:32 AM
In view of the unenthusiastic feedback re Mulholland Drive, I haven't got round to watching that yet, but Mrs Tickle and I did watch "Room" on Saturday night. It's a bit bizarre, but quite effective and affecting.

The novel written by Emma Donoghue, who was nominated for an academy award for her adapted screenplay, is better in spite of the Oscar-winning performance of the mother played by Brie Larson and the critically acclaimed performance of 10 year old Canadian actor Jacob Tremblay as her son. Emma's teaming up with Monumental Pictures to make a feature adaption of her eighth novel, Frog Music, a NY Times bestseller which is sitting on my bedside table in the 'to read pile'...set in the summer of 1876 in San Francisco in the grip of a record-breaking heatwave, with a smallpox epidemic spreading through city, along with festering racism and fear!! Can't wait ...sounds fun eh! 😱
Edited by Mobson, Sep 20 2016, 11:56 AM.

waiting4atickle
Member Avatar

Will have to look out for that - I love a lighthearted comedy. Talking of which, Mrs Tickle went to see Bridget Jones's Baby tonight and said it was really funny. I passed on the opportunity. Come to think of it, I don't remember even being asked.

Caro

I've only read the book, Room, and I had to be encouraged to finish it - I don't really like novels with a single focus and few characters. I prefer ones described as rumbunctious or similar. But Room has stayed with me and one scene in particular I re-read a lot. The one where the policewoman finds out from the boy where his Room was. I gather it was well done in the movie too.

Mobson
Member Avatar

By coincidence, Emma Donoghue will be interviewed this evening on R4's Front Row to discuss her latest book called The Wonder...about a girl in nineteenth-century Ireland who claims not to eat....I can see Irish actress Saoirse Ronan's agent getting a call!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07vjx9l

It will be next week's Radio 4 Book of the Week (from 26th September) read by AA nominated, and BAFTA winning actress Carey Mulligan...see separate thread on forum

Here's her bio... http://www.emmadonoghue.com

<crikey> ....should I be her UK agent? 📚
Edited by Mobson, Sep 23 2016, 09:18 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Film · Next Topic »
Add Reply