Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Koreas agree to peaceful end of nuclear standoff
Topic Started: Jun 23 2005, 02:05 PM (94 Views)
Wave
Unregistered
Guests

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/06/2....end/index.html

SEOUL, South Korea -- Delegates from North and South Korea have agreed to seek a peaceful resolution to the North's nuclear standoff with the international community, but they failed to set a date for stalled disarmament talks to resume.

The two Koreas will take "practical steps" to resolve the nuclear crisis diplomatically when the right conditions are established, according to a joint statement released after Thursday's talks in Seoul.

The communique did not elaborate on those steps.

"The South and the North have agreed to take real measures for peaceful resolution of the nuclear issue through dialogue as the atmosphere is created with the ultimate goal of denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," said Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, Seoul's head delegate, said a joint statement.

Although the Seoul delegation urged the North to return to the talks in July, it "hadn't heard a definite answer" from the North Koreans, said Kim Chun-shick, a spokesman for the South's side.

North Korea has stayed away from arms talks for a year, citing "hostile" U.S. policies.

Last week, North Korea leader Kim Jong Il said the communist state could return to six-party talks -- with the United States, South Korea, Japan, China and Russia -- as early as next month if it received appropriate respect from Washington.

Thursday's communique said South Korea had agreed to provide aid to the North on a humanitarian basis, and that both countries would engage in joint economic cooperation in the agriculture sector, Reuters reported.

Delegates agreed to hold high-level military talks and set the date for the next round of inter-Korean talks for September 13-16 in North Korea's Baekdu Mountains.

The top delegates from North and South appeared side-by-side at a news conference after their negotiations, a departure from previous high-level talks that normally ended with the issuing of a written statement.

In February, North Korea declared it had nuclear weapons and would continue boycotting the six-party talks unless Washington agreed to one-on-one talks.

The Bush administration has refused to do so, saying the issue affects the entire region and that the other parties should be included.

However, U.S. and North Korean officials met June 6 in New York in an effort to bring all parties back to the negotiating table. (Full story)

U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack confirmed to CNN that the meeting took place at the North Korean mission to the United Nations.
Quote Post Goto Top
 
tag


huh well not that big of a breakthrough but still sizeable considering hatred the north koreans have toward U.S.
[size=14]TOUCH[/size] [size=14]THIS[/size] [size=14]SIG[/size] [size=14]AND[/size] [size=14]DIE[/size][size=14]!!![/size] [size=14]:REMIX SUCK MY GONADS[/size]

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
Uzumaki Naruto
Member Avatar


yea this aint with usa
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
taz3r
Member Avatar
blaz3 a heat

korea will bomb usa
and usa will destroy korea
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Politics/Debate · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone