Scooterboy World - REALLY not giving a fuck if you're offended since at least April 2003. Due to us being a bit crap, we're not sure

IMPORTANT INFORMATION.... If trying to view this forum on a mobile device, you may have more luck if you do it in 'landscape' rather than 'portrait', so stick that screen rotate on, and crack on.
Welcome to Scooterboyworld, the UKs biggest and busiest scooterboy related forum.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join us, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features. Whoo-hoo.

SBW remains the only almost completely unmoderated scooter forum on the internet. Any comments made are YOUR responsibility, not ours. Don't come running to us is the big boys get upset with you, so make sure you can back up what you say - we're not interested in libel cases thanks.
Put dodgy links up, or post inflamatory remarks and we'll kick your arse off here. That's your only warning.

Click here to join if that appeals

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
wont run without choke on a bit; vespa wakes up after a long rest
Topic Started: Thu 6 Oct 2016, 13:02:09 (409 Views)
suavemechanic
Member Avatar
Rallyist
[ *  *  * ]
Hi guys ! been while.... took a job in the big city and dragged the vespa out , gave it a wash and passed rego ! i have been commuting a short way to the job and its using way much more fuel than i remember.....
wont idle without a little bit of choke on
i thought once id cleared out the 5 year old fuel she'd come good , but its getting worse
tried carb clean and pulled and cleaned the main jet tonight ,
not encouraging ......
been carrying the wrong size plug socket for some years .
idle screw is doing nothing.
adjusting the mixture makes it more shit .

seal ? carb base gasket ?
more carb cleaning ?

unable to search so im posting but im sure this has been covered ...

cheers !

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

t5bitza69
Member Avatar
Cunt
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sounds like an air leak .... make sure the box is down tight n go from there .... might be worth putting some sandpaper on a flat board n giving the bottom of the box a rub

rocket
Member Avatar

it has an air leak somewhere, you said its been sitting around for awhile. so it could be a hardend seal...take off carb top and remove airfilter and spray a wd40 around base or carb and see if the idle picks up..if it does you found your leak...
if that dont work suspect hardend flywheel seal or hardend main seal..to check flywheel seal..pop off flywheel and put a little grease around the point where the seal meets the crank..see if that offers you a temporary fix it it does you found your leak..if it is the main bearing seal thats a worst case sanerio so try all the other options and completly rule them out first

arc eye
Member Avatar

Clean the pilot jet,that's the most likely problem :)

suavemechanic
Member Avatar
Rallyist
[ *  *  * ]
progress up date .....ordered the " refresh kit without tearful regrets "
pretty sure its the fly wheel seals
bought a little honda cafe style bike off a work mate ,
so far i have spent a grand on it and pushed it 2 km ! ,
every time i stop for a rest a bearded hipster appears and says " cool bike dude !"
this never happens on my other bikes !

sure ill have no trouble selling it once i get it sorted
went the sip 2.0 exhaust while i was shipping stuff
looking forward to getting it done
thanks for the replies
hey rocket , nice to see you are still here !

cheers

suavemechanic
Member Avatar
Rallyist
[ *  *  * ]
Latest up date ! as i am crazy busy moving house , I got tired of tripping over it and sent it off for a professional rebuild , 177 piston and stroker crank 190 cc here we come !
the guy I sold the bearded hipster bike to texts me every ride with " its doing this thing.... type messages "

cheers !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tuning · Next Topic »
Add Reply

VISITORS SINCE OUR WANDERING STOPPED ON FEB 16 2004
Rooftop
bangkok
//SHOUTBOX SIDEBAR
Innovation created by Lydia of ZetaBoards Theme Zone