![]() | ||
| Quick Links | Announcements | | Enter Chat Room | | Today's active topics | Follow @paranormalborde |
TPB's YouTube Channel ~ Click to Register The Vampire Lair on Facebook and MonsterVisionTV on Facebook |
|
|
|
||
| We hope you enjoy your visit. You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Join our community! If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features: |
| Workers search for bodies in bridge debris | |
|---|---|
| Tweet Topic Started: Aug 2 2007, 05:39 PM (187 Views) | |
| Isis | Aug 2 2007, 05:39 PM Post #1 |
|
The Goddess of Darkness & Desire
![]()
|
MSNBC staff and news service reports Updated: 45 minutes ago MINNEAPOLIS - Difficult conditions hampered the search for bodies still trapped beneath the twisted debris of a collapsed bridge Thursday, as finger-pointing began over a report two years ago that found the bridge was "structurally deficient." The official death count from Wednesday evening’s collapse stood at four, but Police Chief Tim Dolan said more bodies were in the water. Hospital officials said 79 others were injured. The victims were identified Thursday evening as Sherry Engebretsen, 60, of Shoreview; Julia Blackhawk, 32, of Savage; Patrick Holmes, 36, of Moundsview; and Artemio Trinidad-Mena, 29, of Minneapolis. Authorities said eight were still missing, down from as many as 30 earlier, according to Reuters and local media reports. Many initially counted as missing turned up throughout the day. "It's taken 24 hours, but I think we have a pretty accurate count," Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. A strong current and low visibility hampered the search, and divers were pulled out of the water briefly Thursday afternoon so the water could be lowered, said Inspector Jeff Storms of the sheriff’s department. “There are more than 10 vehicles in the river,” Fire Chief Jim Clack said, without saying if there were victims inside. The effort had shifted earlier in the day from rescue to recovery. The eight-lane Interstate 35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery, was in the midst of repairs when it buckled during the evening rush hour. Dozens of cars plummeted more than 60 feet into the Mississippi River, some falling on top of one of another. A school bus sat on the angled concrete. The bridge is the state’s busiest, and carries approximately 141,000 vehicles per day. Engineers wondered whether heavy traffic might have contributed to the collapse. Studies of the bridge have raised concern about cracks caused by metal fatigue. "I think everybody is looking at fatigue right now, fatigue due to heavy traffic," said Kent Harries, an assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering in the University of Pittsburgh's School of Engineering. "This is an interstate bridge that sees a lot of truck traffic." Link:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20085333/?GT1=10252 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Isis, The Goddess of Desire & Darkness. In The Darkness, We Find The Light. This is a Drama Free Zone..! | |
|
|
|
| Mystical | Aug 2 2007, 11:21 PM Post #2 |
![]()
|
If the bridge was under that much construction shouldn't they have re-routed traffic another way and in the process avoided this tragedy all together? This is all very sad. I just hope they are able to retreive all the bodies. I can't imagine what the families of those who were lost are feeling right now. |
|
|
|
| 1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous) | |
| « Previous Topic · News Forum · Next Topic » |









8:16 PM Jul 10