Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kenora Wolf Problems; Sun Story
Topic Started: Feb 15 2007, 05:32 PM (311 Views)
Galgo
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wolf fear over plump deer
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Oi, fatty, watch you're back.Police and wildlife officials have asked residents of a remote Canadian town to stop feeding the deer - because their plump bodies are attracting wolves.

Wolves are normally very shy, but lured by the prospect of fattened deer meat they have regularly been spotted inside the city limits of Kenora in Ontario.

Two were spied in the parking lot of an elementary school.

Police and wildlife officials think feeding stations set up by residents are luring deer into the town - and bringing the hungry wolves with them.

Another contributing factor is a thinner layer of snow than normal, which makes natural deer food widely available.

No humans have been savaged so far but local officials are worried.

Constable Bob Bernie, a Kenora police spokesman, said: 'Certainly this is the most sightings around the Kenora area since I've been around (the last 20 years).'

Scott McAughey, a biologist with the Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources ministry, said 'When wolves lose their fear of humans, it's not a good situation.'

He added: 'Wolves are not reluctant to take dogs if given the opportunity and it would be a real shame for (people) to lose their pet.'

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image missmod88
Member Avatar

oh allow me to elaborate on this post,, I live in Kenora, and I spoke with Scott on the phone today, as well as the principle of my daughters school over this issue.

my daughter has been sick for a few days, and yesterday was her first day back,, when she got home she informed me that she had seen wolves in the school yard,, or rather the skirts of the yard during recess :yikes: well that got my attention,,, I asked more about it,, and I knew that there had been sightings of wolves in our area,, as a matter of fact I saw one myself a few weeks back, but let it go thinking it was a stray dog. I knew at the time that it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too big for a dog,, but didn't put it all together until today :(

so it was suggested that seeing deer in the school yard has become part of the 'norm' and I'm sorry, but I can't accept that :crazy: I have been talking about this issue for most of the day,, and no, I don't want all the wolves to be shot on sight,, what I want is the safety of my daughter and the sons and daughters of others.

the root of this serious problem is the fact that people are feeding the deer,, yes. so what do we do about that? there are some folks in town that really believe they are helping the deer by feeding them, and no amount of pleading with them over the harm they are causing the community will deter them. :huh: and there is no law that states that they are doing any wrong.

the schools (as I have done) has talked to the students about this, and what to do, and what not to do,, :boxing:

life is just too damn short,, so I try to spend it Living, Loving, Laughing and oh! taking pictures along the way!!

Posted Image

Posted Image bowhuntr
Member Avatar
Funny

That's certainly something that will scare the heck out of the towns people and the children.

BH
[Hunting isn't a sport it's a way of Life]
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hunters Campfire · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme by Kieran of Outline