Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Coptors 2009 Moose; the mounting of my 2009 archery moose
Topic Started: Jan 1 2010, 08:45 AM (1,462 Views)
Posted Image coptordoctor
Member Avatar

Well guys since I am entering into deep depression due to the ending of another Great year. I have to find something to pass the time.
I am Planning on Building a new house 2011 possibly. Depending how the girls make out with Jobs and scholl etc
When I left for the Moose hunt My wife said. Shoot a big one and you can mount it for the new fireplace in our new house. First phone call Jackie got was start collecting rocks for the fire place as I did my part and have the moose!!
So here goes my first shot at doing a Moose. It seems alittle intimidating when I see the size of the dang thing laying on the basement floor. But here goes.
I will try and post pictures as I go and any experts feel free to chime in you you see anything that you think I can improve on. Here are the first Pictures enjoy..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

First thing that amazed me was the price there is not 4 times the foam in this mount yet they command 5 times the price... :yikes:
I may be :crazy: but here we go!!Carl
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image bowhunter-57
Member Avatar

:cheers: Congrats on a nice moose and good luck on your new home. :cheers:

Posted Image Northerner
Member Avatar

Looking forward to watching your progress. :allright:

Posted Image spent
Member Avatar

I'm sure it'll turn out Okay and it'll look great over your fire place.
Keep us posted on the progress...
Posted Image

SPENT

Posted Image buckstop
buckstop northern wisconsin

Good luck !I've done a few moose in my day and they are a project. I'm not sure how far along in taxidermy you are but here are a few tips. Get that skull plate clean or you'll have a bug problem. Borax the snot out of it also. When connecting the two pieces of the form together put two or three metal rods in when you bondo it together. They really add support and strength. Use a good tan on the cape. Moose skin is thick and it needs to be shaved thin to prevent excessive shrinking. Use a HEAVY DUTY HANGER. Have fun and enjoy it. Hope it turns out well for you!

Posted Image alf
Member Avatar
Bowmanville/Haliburton

Looking forward to seeing the finished mount.
Another tip is to make sure you can get it out of your basement when it is done, I work out of my basement so no moose for me until I get into a shop later this year, :cheers:
Alf's Taxidermy

Posted Image Buckstopper
Member Avatar

Alf I have the same problem as I work out of my basement. What I do is pin the antlers. After I score the rack I cut the palms off and use pins so the antlers are removable. There is a post somewhere on here showing what I mean.

Buckstop I fleshed and tanned the cape for Carl so he has no excuse in that requard. :lol!!!:

Carl you may need help pulling the cape on the form. Give me a calll.
canadagoosetaxidermy.ca

Posted Image timbrhuntr
Member Avatar
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This should be an interesting thread. I have 4 good size moose racks one over 63" and I always wished I would have kept and froze the capes to mount one day. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Member Avatar

Ya Rick needless to say you nearly lost a digit doing the cape for me!! Hope your all healed.
I ordered a sneak mount so I am going to put the antlers on and try and get it out of My Basement If I can't I will be Pinning them as Rick mentioned But I think I can get it out in tac. Time will tell.
Question Rick what and how many screws Bolts etc do u use attaching the head gear to the form?.
You mentioned that you hit the two halves with a ball peen to give the bondo some help.
I have done this is the Rods mentioned nessesary? I have lots available if you think it's a good idea. Thanks For the tips Guys. I won't get at this until I return from A work trip In YUMA AZ and Fort Worth TX returning sometime in Late Feb.
Then home for 3 days and off to Houston for another week.. :yikes:
Bet you guys can imagine how happy Jackie is. I just gave her a check out on the snowblower should be an interesting winter for her!! I am thinking on getting her to get on with the dirty work cleaning the skull. Think that's a good idea? :run!!: :run!!: :crazy:

Posted Image Buckstopper
Member Avatar

I use two 4" number 10 screws to hold the skull on the form. Once the hide is on and dried it helps hold the skull plate on.

I have never used metal rods to reinforce the bond between the halves but it is not a bad idea. I make lots of indents in both halves of the from to give the bondo a better grip.

Here is one I just bonboed.

Posted Image

I pinned the antlers on this one if you want a review of how it is done Alf I can post a series of photos.

Carl you better have a nice get reaquainted present for Jackie when you get back from the south.
canadagoosetaxidermy.ca

TeamAOC
Member Avatar
Sophmore
[ *  *  * ]
Hey Carl, don't forget lots of staples!!
good luck with your mount.

Treesome Productions
www.outdoortestpilot.com

------------------------------
www.justushunting.com

Member Avatar

I think you were looking in the wrong end of the staple gun Gary!! lol)))
Thanks Rick.. Ya I am hoping to take here south for a week someplace warm when I get back..Like maybe Windsor..Ont lol))) :lol!!!: :allright: :crazy:

Posted Image LoneWolf
Member Avatar
Rebel Soul

Right on! ;)

I was gonna try my hand out at mounting a deer I shot this year, but my season was not so good with the lack of deer in my areas.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product! :cheers:

Member Avatar

This is something that I really enjoy doing. As a Hobby not a profession I am always worried that the friend or who ever I mount for would not be happy. I am very critical of my work yet I think I do a good job and have seen some crap by so called Taxidermists that would give me a heart attack if I went to pick it up. At Little Britan there were some mounts there I would have left at home.. yikes!! Give it a try lone wolf I am sure you will enjoy it like hell. It is a great thing. You can put your own look on it and it makes it feel more special. Makes the season last to me as I usually get going on them in feb march and by the time I get done summer and the good weather is here.
Here are some I have done.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The moose will be interestig I just stuck the two halves together crap the thing is huge!!

Posted Image LoneWolf
Member Avatar
Rebel Soul

That's nice work, coptor! ;)

You got a few nice deer there, too. :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to wait until next season to hopefully get myself a deer before I can give it a try. Unless, I can find a fresh road kill on the side of the highway. lol

Posted Image Buckstopper
Member Avatar

Hey Mickey if you have a set of antlers you want mounted I have capes. I flesh and tan Carl's capes for him so you would be at the same starting point. :lol!!!:

I am sure Donnie or myself would be glad to help you out.
canadagoosetaxidermy.ca

Posted Image LoneWolf
Member Avatar
Rebel Soul

Real nice of you to offer a cape, Rick, That would be great. Thanks alot for that, ( I guess I won't have to drive the highways for a road kill after all... lol ) as well as for offering your help, as did Donny. ;)

And yep, I've got antlers!... Got a few sets here... Nothing big, but I've been thinking and would like to try mounting one using my trad buck rack, or one of my older smaller racks I have kicking around here.

Sorry about the brief highjack of your thread, coptor.

Member Avatar

No issues On Hijacking anything!lOL Well back from the south finally yesterday just a slow relaxing day I did however get the horns screwed down after glueing the form together so far so good...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Will provide updates as I go enjoy..

Posted Image bowhunter-57
Member Avatar

:allright: Nice work Carl, your a man of many talents. :allright:

Posted Image alf
Member Avatar
Bowmanville/Haliburton

Buckstopper
Jan 2 2010, 09:18 AM

Posted Image

I pinned the antlers on this one if you want a review of how it is done Alf I can post a series of photos.

I have seen it done with elk, but that would be great if you could post a review, not only for me but for everyone else also, I think everyone would enjoy that.

Looking good coptor, :cheers:
Alf's Taxidermy

Posted Image spent
Member Avatar

It'll be good to see your finished mount...
Posted Image

SPENT

Member Avatar

Well My Sewing skills are not great so My wife actually just spent a couple hours fine tuning some nicks before mounting I will post pictures at every stage.. I wish now I had taken a bunch more detailed shots around the eyes and such But in the haste to get it cut up and in the frezzer after taken a bunch of the whole moose never gave it much more thought but. OH well.. I can't believe the weight of the damn Hide sheeesh it must weigh 75 pounds!!

Posted Image Buckstopper
Member Avatar

"I can't believe the weight of the damn Hide sheeesh it must weigh 75 pounds!!"

Think what it weighed before fleshing, and what it weighed coming out of the brine. Moose are just too big. :run!!:

When are you tackling a lifesize, Carl? :lol!!!:
canadagoosetaxidermy.ca

Member Avatar

Oh anytime soon.. As soon as i shoot a bigger one!!LOL (not!!!)

bigbulljoe
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]

Looks good so far Carl, such a cute little bull!!
Team Bowtech Staff Shooter
Bohning Archery Pro Hunting Staff
GoldTip Arrows Advisory Staff
Vortex Optics Pro-Staff
Vaportrail Strings, Cables, Arrowrests Pro Staff
Montana Decoys Pro Staff

Member Avatar

Ya well If I was employed by the Tunderbay Police i could maybe get 3 months off to hunt and shoot a bigger one..LOL Any how small or not this is it.
I spent about 12 hours today wrestling the bugger onto the mount.. What a frikkin job.
I concur now that all taxidermists are a bunch or Masochist's.. Who in the hell would want to wrestle a moose twice once to skin the bugger then the other to make him look sort of what he looked like on the hoof!! anyhow here is my attempt.. Hope the new fireplace can hold the Fat Bas___d
The start....
Posted Image
Doing the ears.. Man I thought you had Big ears Joe!!
Posted Image
The form preped and the hide sort of ready!!
Posted Image
Half Pulled on the face. Crap My Arms are sore already. Rick you must let your slave labour do this part!!
Posted Image
Starting to fasten things together
Posted Image
Sewing down the back! OH my fingers are bleeding!!
Posted Image
Almost done sewing!! wooohooo
Posted Image
A picture of maybe a half assed Moose! small I know Joe but bigger than yours this year. That is why you teach because you can't do!!LOL Or Guide teaching very similar.. Sorry Lisa Not slagging the hard working teachers,,
Posted Image
Couple different views
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Post more as I get the painting and minor stuff cleaned up.. Hope you all enjoy it.. Try and humor me joe.. I know he is a baby..

bigbulljoe
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]

You miss me don't you.... :crazy2: :archer:
Vortex Optics Pro-Staff
Montana Decoys Pro Staff

bigbulljoe
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]

You know I'm just givin' you a hard time!! The mount looks real good so far, wish I had that kind of patience.

Makes me excited to get mine and Alex's deer back from the taxidermist!! :deer: :deer:

Been shooting at all? We have the MN State Indoor Championships coming up in a few weeks, but looking forward to chasing some turkeys more than anything right now.

I'm trainng all week so give me a call one evening if you get a chance.

Vortex Optics Pro-Staff
Montana Decoys Pro Staff

Member Avatar

Actually I do.. where the hell you been? I will call you one night..

Posted Image Bocephus_86
Member Avatar

Looking Good Coptor :thumbsup: Nice Work!!
Posted Image

Posted Image canuck
Member Avatar
Thunder Bay

Coptor....only Joe gets that time off...the rest of us have to pull his weight while he is out chasing swamp donkeys, deer, turkeys, archery tournaments, armadillos, oh and the odd vacation thrown in there to keep Lisa and the kids happy!
Just kidding Joe!
That is a nice looking mount you are doing!
Shane

2010 Team Nimrod Field Staff
CNC Slings Staff Shooter
SKB Enterprises:
ArcticShield - Advanced Cold Weather Protection
XScent - Scent Elimination System
Xtreme Scents - Deer Candy - Fish Attractants
Roger Raglin Products
Authorized Rinehart Target Dealer-The Best Archery Targets In The World

Member Avatar

Glad someone knows the Scoop on Joe !!LOL

Posted Image corman30

I've been following this post every step of the way because I have a moose to tackle this year. :crazy: At first I wasn't going to do it, just stick with a euro mount. Then the more I thought about it, and the more of your post I read, I thought heck, why not, i need something for customers to see anyway. :wink:

Now after reading this latest, I am not so sure I made the right choice :sick: I feal your pain. So far all I have done is skinning and fleshing, havn't even turned ears lips and nose yet. Thats a friggin job in it self. I gotta say, whatever you payed Rick to flesh it for you, it probablyu wasn't enough :crazy2: What a friggin job.

For a guy who doesn't do a lot of mounts it sure doesn't show in your work. :allright: So far so good from my point of view. :cheers:

How many hours do you figue yo have in him so far? What kind of thread are you using to sew him up. Looks like real thick stuff.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image Buckstopper
Member Avatar

Hey Carl I just got in another moose. This one from NFLD. Want to come over and give me a hand? It looks like you know what you are doing. :lol!!!:

One thing I do is sew up the back first and then slide the cape on like a deer. The hands do not get cut from the thread as much this way.

He does look good! woohoo woohoo

canadagoosetaxidermy.ca

Member Avatar

Call RicK he would love to Flesh yours as well if you want to PM me i will give you the cost.. maybe I should not give it out till Rick thinks about it.. LOL.
I am using sinue cape thread from Knaptons. I doubled it to make it much stronger..I have about 3 hours getting the thing skinned. about 1 hour to get the form preped and then about 8 mounting him.. it really was not so bad. I had him cut from head to tail all the way down after I pulled the skin up I drove a few screwdrivers into the hide to hold it up then sewed about 4 inches at a time. it was lot's of pulling. the form I ordered was Smaller than the measurement by .5 inch glad i did not go up the size and went down instead.. The moose actually i had an easier time with then the deer as they have not the details in the face. The Vaccum inlet was interesting I still have work to do in there.. Good thing i can stick my head in and have a look around .. LOL

Posted Image Kemble Mountain
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks awesome! Good work.
FROW Measurer
Bowtech Flatliner
Horton Hunter HD175
Remington Model 7 .260 cal
Savage Model 10 "Predator" .223 cal
Winchester Model 94 30-30 cal
TC Pro Hunter FX .50 cal
CVA Wolf Magnum .50 cal
Remington Model 597 .22 cal

young hunter
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
MY DAD HAS SHOT MOOSE WITH BOW AND GUNTHERE UGLY
THEIRAN MOORE

I LIVE TO HUNT

Member Avatar

Ok guys finally took a break from the house and got my moose finished painted and on the wall. !!
What a job getting him up there..took the help of jackie and Kaitlin with Mike and myself to finally get him on the hook.
I am very happy with the way he turned out Looks Great.. At least to my eye.
Jackie would say I am almost blind .. But he looks as good as the day I first saw him..
Sorry some of the pictures are a little blurry I think Jackie was shaking in fear that we would drop it through her new Hardwood..
The start of it all
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Now onto the second one.. Ughh

Posted Image baydog
Member Avatar

Great job Coptor........looks really nice! :cheers:

Posted Image Norma
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, looks great. I enjoyed the whole process. :cheers:
Moe
"Only a dead fish goes with the flow"
Proud member of OFAH, NFA, CSSA

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Art of Taxidermy · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Kieran of Outline