Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Forkhorn's 2012 Season
Topic Started: Mar 23 2012, 05:32 PM (1,603 Views)
Posted Image forkhorn

Well i'll give it a shot also... I like reading them so I would hate to see them cut.
March 17, 2012
I spent a good 6hrs looking for sheds... I found one old moose skull and an old 8 point shed that the mice almost had finished off... I never have any luck shed hunting. I was in swamps on ridges...along power lines and nothing. All I saw was white rabits and grouse drumming.
March 18, 2012
Gave up on shed hunting and got my boats ready for the soft water! Also I put my new QAD dropaway rest on my new-used APA Black Mamba.. It shoots real good can't wait!
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image forkhorn

Last weekend was a bust! Had kid b-day parties all weekend. This weekends weather doesn't look good either. Still going for steelhead on Sunday morning no matter what.
I was just going through trailcam pics and think these small deer have real nice character... Hopefully they made it through the winter and grow to be big boys in a few years.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Hit the soft water today.... north of t-bay. Got into a few.. mostly male walleyes. Fish were deep.. Got socked in by some ice and had to chop our way back to the landing. Heard Lac was pack with people...
Posted Image

Posted Image Renegade
Member Avatar
Atikokan, Ontario

This has to be a record for early ice out! Congratulations on the walleye!
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

This a pic of the ice that blew into the Bay.... The landings is on the far right shore in the 2nd Bay. I never did take pics of the fish.. I am going tomorrow to a local river spot and gets some pics if we're lucky..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Just spent the last two hours cleaning smelts... three scoops and enough for three years :spinning: But they taste damn good with a bud light :dance2:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Smelts are done up golden brown... sea salt (just after you clean them) , whole wheat flour, seasoning salt, cajun spice,garlic powder, italian bread crumbs... toss and enjoy :cheers:
Posted Image

Posted Image swampdogger
Member Avatar

Can't beat that! Sure know how to enjoy life. :fishin: :hick: :fudd:

Posted Image forkhorn

I had my first bear sighting, then a 2nd and a 3rd... It was like a light switch turned on today. I am not sure how many ruffies I saw along the bush roads today(+30), hopefully we have a good spring because it will be an amazing fall for birds. The first greens started busting through the snow again and everthing is hungry. We also saw three moose... I also did a little detour and found another good public land hunting(deer) spot which I have hunted before but it has alot of pressure now from road hunters... Found a good backdoor to a honey hole I hope. I cleared a shooting lane and a spot for a ground blind. I piled brush up where the blind will go... Real nice river bottom spot... I will be setting a cam up there for sure.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

First time in my life I can say I am Swamped... Selling one house and buying another isn't as seamsless as I thought. It seems like everthing in my life is in limbo... I haven't had a chance yet to even check spring cams. My season is a blur..... It looks like the house is sold and I am moving into my dream prop in in mid Aug... The tracor will be break gound befor that.. hopefully.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

The conditions closed on our house today and we have a closing date of July 31st. Will be in our new place in August the same time our baby is due.. :spinning:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Last weekend they had a kid derby at my inlaws camp. First time for the kids and they had a ball. It was a good weekend. My daughter ended up winning the pike cat. with a 28" which ripped her rod out from her hands and I almost went in after it. She was to scared to continue realing it in but after a brief debate and a tail dance from the fish she started cranking again. It's funny how the lucky the kids are.... My brother and his son with my daughter about to let some of the fish go..
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Well... somehow we have been pulling it off... House closed on the 31st and I was the best man at my good friends wedding this weekend. Today in between doing things for my prego wife( due date was the 4th) me and my daughter did some food plot maintance and cut the clover plot.. It appears a bear took the camera down in the spring because of all the sky shots. Have a bag of brassica seeds and was going to till it in tomorrow maybe.. or wait a few days and see how the clover does. My crazy daughter climbed up my treestand with our restraints on... 3.5 and she was telling me to be quite as we sat up there :D We saw one squirel.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Checked the camera today and a few deer have hit the clover plot.... but after phoning my buddy to see if he could till the plot and him telling me he blew the tranny... I got to thinking and I spent three hours pulling a rake around and around! After I was done I was in deep regret... I have to get seed in quick and i don't no if its till up enough for brassica's.... Going to get some fert and hit the co-op tomorrow.... Season opens on sept 1st.... and I usally like getting a nice young doe before they wise up :yikes:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

and still no baby as of yet.......... maybe tonight :run!!:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Started hang some mounts today in between doing baseboards...... more to follow :cheers: :haha:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Had a chance to do some scouting in our intend moose area this year. Didn't go there last year but was suprised to find out the hole area was sprayed... the guy I was with wanted to leave ASAP. But I know the area well and know that there is feed everywhere within the tree line and text book ponds.. Checked one out and it was heavily used.. looked real good. :mooser:
Posted Image

Posted Image coptordoctor
Member Avatar

Great job I enjoy reading these thingas well.. And the Baby? Is there? and what flavor? any pics Baby pics are cool as well as long as they are not Mine!!LOL

Posted Image forkhorn

2012 Archery Moose Hunt
I scouted around early in the month… mainly to find a spot for bro-in-laws brand spanking new trailer to park. The area we have hunted in the past has grown up a bit too much for the new trailer... We figured we would commute to hunt that area once we got a favorable wind needed… Location was found and the hunt was set.
Posted Image
2012 Moose Hunting Adventure….
Sept. 21, 2012- The plan was to attempt an evening hunt but we didn’t leave Thunder Bay until 4pm so it wasn’t going to happen. I ended up turning around three times and running back home (helmets, propane…. Deep fryer). I know I should have been more organized. Once at our attended camp site we just had enough light to see around the pit and realize that it looked like a barnyard… moose tracks and scat everywhere.. Things looked good. After setting up the essentials and drinking a few essentials we went to bed.
Sept 22, 2012- First light brought us moderate winds out of the NW. So we decide to hunt a bottle neck area. On the left was a small cut that bordered a river and to the right was a big swamp. I was just going to call so I set up one guy 120 yards away in the cut. He had the river treeline and a timber line covered. The other guy was just downwind of me 30yards and was by a heavily used trail skirting the big swamp. After a few series of calls I thought I was hearing things. Every once in a while a single grunt would come from the swamp area. The morning produces no sightings... But the other two guys heard the same single grunt.
The afternoon found ourselves scouting around looking for other possible calling locations. The wind was blowing 40 km out of the NW and even the chickens were hiding.
We went back to the same spot as the morning and I set up the Montana Decoy(thanks-Legrand) The wind was blowing it around and it actual looked like it was moving naturally. I called all evening in the gale force wind only to have our minds play with us… no moose.
Sept 23, 2012- The morning isn’t the best time for the others so I got dressed and took a stroll in a cut behind the trailer. Winds were still howling out of the NW. I found a lot of old sign… three to four day old tracks, rut pits and rakes. At this point I was getting nervous because we didn’t even see a fresh track yet and I know this area real well (worked there for three years)? If the moose moved we had to find them. The other guy was leaving on Monday and never shot one so we wanted to at least have a good encounter. When I got back to the trailer I told the guys we have to go find fresh sign and the rest of the day was spent going over maps and driving.
That evening we set up on a big ridge with a lake on top and a fairly large river was at the bottom. There was a fresh rut pit by the lake so one guy set up there and the other guy was 70 yards away watching the cut rd. entrance. I was calling at the lake and moving back and forth along the ridge to the valley. The wind shifted a bit but was still blowing so it was hard to decipher if you were getting answers. I know that there was one bull doing the odd grunt in the valley and I was told by the other two guys that one was also responding across the lake. They said it seemed like it was more active. But before last light occurred a quad drove by and shot a chicken on the rd.… so we pulled the plug. We figured we would be back in the morning. We started down the rd and low and behold there was a cow… she busted in the bush and we piled out of the truck. I called immediately and a bull grunted. The cow which stepped off the rd slowly walked away. The others were frantically getting there releasing back on. I started challenging the bull and all hell broke loose he came up the bank pissed as hell and was coming on to the rd… when my bro-in-law stated ‘he’s coming real fast’ in a loud voice. I couldn’t believe it... The moose turned and went back into the timber (50yards). I kept grunting and beatin up the alders but he knew it wasn’t right. It was just about legal light so we decided to calm him down with a few cow calls and we would be back in the am to pick a fight.
Sept 24, 2012- After scanning over the imagery I have for the area we came to the conclusion he had to be heading for a big grassy swamp area. That morning the winds were higher than ever. But we went in for a stalk. We got into the grassy area and I couldn’t believe it… it was his bedroom. Beds everywhere and half the trees were destroyed. There were rut pits at both ends and we also found the beds and warm scat from the night before. We sat there for some time but the wind was beating us. Through the maps and imagery I know there was another spot just like the one we found 200 yards away but one of my hunting partners can’t walk so well and the long grass made it hard walking for us all. So we decided to come back again when the wind was right. (I will be putting a stand here next year). Again that afternoon we drove around looking for fresh sign. On our way back to camp there was fresh set going down the rd and he also stopped and destroyed a willow. It was apparent that it was a lone bull and he was pissed. We had lunch and decided if we were going to get one today we would split up. The cut along the rd was broken up by small creeks and has three parts. We knew the moose had to be in one of them. I went to the furthest one and the other guys went into the first two. After I dropped them off the decided to stay together. The first cut they went to one of the guys saw the bull in the other cut on a ridge. The other guy tried calling it but it hung up and left.(actually was heading for the rd). They sat there almost till dark and decided to start walking back to camp. My bro-in-law was gruntin as they went along but more or less they were talking. Then all of a sudden the bush started too exploded. The bull came at them quick and started ripping out trees... He started to grunt and then they realized it was a moose. They said they were scared %^&%less. They both knocked arrows and the bull came onto the rd. My bro-in-law was across the rd at 12 meter and got a little scared so tried a front shot. (We smoked it right in the shoulder? We found this out when cleaning him) the moose spun and the other guy put one in the boiler. Then my bro-in-law put another one into him.
At this point I was down the rd having my first good encounter. There was a bull slowly making his way to me when my bro-in-law called frantically on the radio… I was so pumped I just started running and yelling. Not sure what happen to that other moose but he was probably confused. I jumped in the truck and went down the rd. It was just at legal when I got to them. They said that it didn’t go far but never looked for it yet, we talked for twenty minutes and started on the blood trail. There wasn’t a pile of blood so I felt that we should go back to camp and get our supplies and come back. After an hour and a few pops we headed back out. We got back on the trail and found it. It actual went in the cut and started to loop back to the road. When it went down it was only 50 yards in the bush. The Grizzly still had a good pull up a hill to the rd. but all in all it was the closest moose we ever got to the rd.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Member Avatar

Awesome Job Fork great story..

Posted Image forkhorn

Just going to make a point and say it before someone else points it out... I use the term 'Rd' alot. These rds are old tertiary cut roads :coffee: :buttkick:
Posted Image

Posted Image Renegade
Member Avatar
Atikokan, Ontario

Great story for sure! Congratulations bud and good luck on the deer hunt coming soon. :cheers:
Posted Image

Posted Image StandNapper
Member Avatar

Great story. Congrats on a succesful trip. :cheers:
2010 Hoyt Alphaburner
Vixen Excalibur Crossbow
50. cal Traditions XLT Blackpowder

Posted Image Cervus_stalker

Nice work, and a great bull!

Posted Image forkhorn

Well I had planned to sit in the treestand today for most of the day rain or shine..... and only one thing would stop me. A SE and S winds. The wind is S movin to SE. One stand I can get a away with a S wind but it if it goes to SE it blows into the bedding area. Hopefully the wind switches.. this afternoon. I just started get day pics of what I believe is a 3.5 or 4.5yr old(hard to tell on the small viewer) that I would like to see in person. Later I might go check the cameras so I will swap out the cards.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

These two deer have been hanging around but I don't think there that old. I think one is 4.5 and the other is 3.5 I think. My neighbour down the rd has the sheds of the one and it has a split g2 and has better mass. Looks like he has taken a step back.. but has gotten wider.
I think this one is 4.5
Posted Image
I think 3.5yr
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Supposed to rain tonight so I think I will hit the stand... winds have changed enough with the front moving in.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Rained on the stand tonight.... but no deer. I was hoping it was going to hold off but soon as I sat down it started to rain. Then just before dark the wind switched and I pulled the plug. Going to try real hard not to burn my stands.. Only deer I saw today was two young does eating the last of our garden. Wife wanted me to end my season by shooting them... but I told her No Dice the season just begun :cheers:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Sat last evening in the rain and snow mix..... last night was looking good until my neighbour let loose with his rifle. 30 min later and 7 shots..... haven't talked with him yet but they were going to let a few young guys hunt the property.... either all the deer are dead or the stumps took the lead :buttkick: Going out in the am.... and just waiting to to go check the cameras in the cover of darkness.
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Well.... Everyone was right last night was a good night to be on the stand. The wind allowed me to hunt the food plot again and the deer finally co-operated. Soon as the sun went behind the trees I could hear a deer slowly making his way to the food plot and another one. Every so often I could hear a very faint grunt so I knew one was a buck for sure. At around seven one buck came out of no where and kind caught me off guard because I was so focused on the others slowly walking in. He was a nice 8 pointer with good mass and lots of potential(I think 3yr). Then the other buck appeared. He was a deer that has been around for at least three years and always has had a below average rack. I have trail cam pics of this deer and will post later. Last year I was tryin to get this buck but he had me patterned and never got a shot off. This year he added a point to his rack but lost some height. I was going to take this buck out if I had the chance and tonight was the night. He eventually came into the plot and was starring down the other buck. I drew with the pending stand off and settle my 20 yard pin on his engine room and sent the swacker to great him. The luminoc disappeared into his chest cavity and he took off the way he came in. Secounds later I could hear crashing and branches breaking. I waited 30mins and went back to the house to calm down. Last night at midnight I went to find him. I followed the good blood trail for around 90 yards and then I could see he started to circle and fell into a stump. He then got up and circled again... he was bleeding fairly good so I knew he was there. I eventually lost his blood trail in a small area were he was falling down and getting back up. I did circles around that damn spot for a hour and couldn't find any blood leavin that area........ I decided to come back this am. Last night was a sleep less night to say the least but I got up early went to work and waited for first light. I got back home and continued the search. Within minutes I found him. I don't understand how I missed him because he was within 25 feet of one of my tracks.... The crappy thing was a wolf or coyote found him also and they had eaten one quater and ruined alot of the other. I put my tag on him and finished cleaning the deer and loaded it on the quad.. Just came in for some food and I am going out to salavage the remainder. I will post the pics later. I am really going to focus on killin thoose thiefs :fudd: He is a mature deer and I believe he is 5.5yrs based on the trail cam history I have. More to follow..... I got to get rolling :archer1:
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Just to let you know it is the one in the first trail cam pic and that 8 pointer was the other deer.. (see above)
Posted Image

Member Avatar

Damn coyotes..I think we all should try and shoot as many as we can this year..
Congrats on the buck..

Posted Image forkhorn

Warning Graphic Pics

This was a bitter sweet moment..... The shot was a little back but still in the boiler room. The arrow did pass through. I found it 30 yards down the trail. It appears that it broke a rib on the exit side and worked its way out. The swacker is still shootable. The only reason I was shooting them is they seem to fly better when I was having tuning issue.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Not sure if you can see it but there is a pink ribbon by one of the tamarack(yellow tree). Thats where I lost the trail last night in the fog.......
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

A better pic.... I was all alone.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Member Avatar

Nice Job Fork he does not look as bad as some I have seenn. You can salvage lot's off him.. Congrats

Posted Image forkhorn

This a pic of the deer last year
Posted Image
This was 2yrs ago
Posted Image
Posted Image

brokenarrow
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good hunt Fork, great archery trophy.

Posted Image Cervus_stalker

Great looking deer. Congrats!

Posted Image StandNapper
Member Avatar

Congrats on notching your tag. Damn yotes/wolves. It looks like there is still lots of meat leftover though. Thanks for sharing. I knew last night was THE night. I wish I could have been out. :cheers:
2010 Hoyt Alphaburner
Vixen Excalibur Crossbow
50. cal Traditions XLT Blackpowder

Posted Image forkhorn

I skinned the skull out tonight and put a tape on the deer and the one point doesn't measure.. So it's a 8 point.
I also took a look at its teeth and its definetly not a 5.5yr.. Its either a 4.5yr or 3.5yr. Had a 5.5 yr old deer to compare with and these guys teeth are fairly sharp still.
I thought it was the deer I had pics of last year and now i don't know.

And I did manage to get a 5 gallon pail full of meat... divided it up and I think I am going to attempt at making some sausage.... wife won't even eat the moose ones because of quality issues(big chunks of cartilage)
Posted Image

Posted Image forkhorn

Been busy lately but I did get out on Sat.. I only sat at his stand once and went in at 3 pm.. What a sit. Only seen 1 grouse and two rabbits. Camera had lots of action(dark) at the large scrape that is 20 yards away. Tonight I sat in my other stand and again no deer. camera only had four pics on it over the last four days. Seems there not really moving yet here during the day on my property. Only a few deer in the fields this am. This usually happens for a few days each year before they go nuts.... hopefully next week is better.

I have travelled a few hundred km's the last few weeks in 15b and haven't seen much for sign. Last Thrusday there was alot of midday movement after a morning rain and cut a few tracks. I was in one area and stumbled on a cow with twin calves.. didn't have a gun with me so I backed out and will revisit the area again (;
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 Member Hunting Journals · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Theme by Kieran of Outline