Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Photo journal of our 2017 season ( Some Cool Pictures )
Topic Started: May 23 2017, 12:50 PM (423 Views)
R.J.
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
3:30 am alarm goes off and I get ready to drive approx. 1.3 hrs North for an opening morning hunt with Frank V.

In our blinds by 5:30am > Starts to rain at approx. 6:15 am …. Multiple birds gobbling on the ridge West of Franks position ( a River Flats Blind location that I have posted about many times over the years ) ( forum member , VixChix knows the spot ) …

After the fly down Frank sees approx. 8 birds traveling the field edge along the ridge at 7:15 am > A series of calls and a mature tom comes in like a freight train ! > Then , as someone famous once said “ Boom End Game “ !

Posted Image

I get a few pictures of misc Jakes curiously surveying the scene > cluck / gobble / move on … I take a few frames as they pass by Franks downed bird ( sorry not the best pic’s , they were 58 yards away from me and it was still raining )

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

We meet with Chris H. and his son for breakfast > Swap hunt stories , then I Point my truck South and heads for better weather > I stop at one farm on the way home to chat with the farmer and walk the bush line ..

Oops , I get too close to possibly an Osprey nest area > he/she screeches at me and flies circles above me …

Posted Image
Posted Image

As I drive South towards my afternoon spot the skies are clearing up nicely and I arrive to a beauty sunny afternoon ! We have taken many birds from this spot ( VixChix knows this location as well from years ago when she hunted there with me and had a real quick set up close encounter ! ) …

Posted Image
Posted Image

This property that Im hunting this afternoon , is also special to me because it is home of a blonde bearded bird , I have been watching in past season ! ( I got a picture when he was a stub beard Jake and the stub was all blonde . I saw him a week ago and his beard is 4-5 inches long now and still has the blonde end on it > Cool !

Gotta love the smell of fresh flowers and fresh cut wood along the lane … Found no shed antlers today only some critter remains …

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As I head back to my position I see brids in the field and they nervously walk into the bush , so I leave my truck way South in the lane and sneak in along the trail edge … As I crouch walk up the lane and crest the rise …. a beauty Tom crosses within 7 yards of me … I am crouched down and cant get my Matrix 310 into position , but I get three awesome pictures as he heads towards the bush …
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally set up at the Sugar Shack approx. 3:30pm … I don’t have any luminocks with me so I load a white fletched carbon and settle in for a long wait !

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hen Calling off and on all afternoon ... approx 5:30pm , I finally see movement coming towards me from the North West .

They come in fairly quickly and I have the bow to my shoulder …. What ! , I see blonde beard 2nd in line behind some hens and another Jake …

Now I’m usually cool under fire but man I’m shaking with excitement right now … The front Jake walks past me at 15 yards and the hens peck around the cover …

The front Jake looks right at me and starts to alarm cluck as he walks East … Blondie get nervous and starts to turn but he is in my ranged 20 yard opening when I slap the trigger of my Matrix 310 !

A solid hit and he flap/runs North past some trees > No pass thru but enough penetration to get the job done > the arrow fell out as he left and he was down within 7 yards past the trees that blocked my view ! …..

Sweeeeet ! What an awesome way to end the day on our Ontario Turkey Season Opening day !

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Have been in contact thru text with many friends today , so I snap a few pictures and text the news .

Then a quick trip home to start to download all the misc pictures from today … VixChix text me some pictures from her exciting day as well … She scored a beauty JAke this morning and had a hen walk by the blind for entertainment during the evening hunt > Congrat’s Moni ! > I’m sure you will post to tell the story , but I’ve included the pictures to the end of my thread non the less !

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Overall another exciting day in the field ! … Good Luck to all that are chasing turkeys > Hunt Safe / Have Fun and take lots of pictures !

April 26th , 2nd day into our 2017 Ontario Turkey Season Frank seals the deal on another beauty Tom in the morning fog ….

Posted Image

I have a Tom coming down the trail when an ATV interrupts my hunt and the Tom flies right up over my blind …

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

For an afternoon hunt , I spot a big Tom way back on a farm I have permission on . I stop at the house to check in > I confirm permission again for this year > they say no problem but I have to park at the barn and hike in .8 km ( approx. ½ mile ) to the back of the property ( freshly planted so no driving ) > Now .8 km ( approx. ½ mile ) doesn’t sound far but when you are packing a blind and gear , it seems a lot longer !

The Tom takes off as I hike to the back , but three Jakes show up within 5 mins of set up … Unfortunately , to ease the load , I had left my Pentax K100D Digital camera back at the truck , so no good pictures .

I have multiple sightings Toms / Jakes / a hen and a raccoon > the hen circles me many times , and finally walks off towards two mature Toms that were strutting in the next field … I watched multiple Toms strut and breed hens till the night is over but all on the next field over which is on another farm .

Posted Image

I pack up , walk back to the truck and drive to the next farm over , to confirm I still have permission there > Farmer says no problem and “ Bonus “ the field has not been worked so I can drive right to the back to set up !

So I drive back and fill the ” Elevated Blind “ with some of my gear for the morning ,. The birds have moved off the field to their roosting area > Next 1.5 hour drive home to get some sleep > It’s gonna be another 3:30am morning start if I want to make it back to that location before next moorings first light ..

Posted Image
Posted Image

My lovely wife made me enough food and beverage to fill my cooler because I was planning on staying the whole day now that I found a decent flock with many mature Tom’s !

April 27th > 5:00 am I arrive and drive right to the ” Elevated Blind “ and load it with food and gear including my good camera !

As on many previous hunts , I get to watch the sunrise look like fire thru the trees !

Posted Image

Wicked wind makes it difficult to hear but on the other hand it carries my light hen calls to the roost area … I hear lots of gobbling on the roost , but nothing comes into the field that I am hunting .

First bird sighting is about 7:00am and wouldn’t you know , they come out way over to where I was set up last night ! …. Whatever , I continue to call off and on ( about every 15 mins ) .

Now I can see nothing in either field > So I take a bathroom break and a sandwich break > My wife packed me some Corn Chips and Salsa so I dug into them > Just when I finished the last one and was licking my fingers clean , I glance North and take that short deep gulp breath that comes when you see a big buck or nice Tom coming !

Posted Image

It’s after 8:00am and I quickly get organized > My food away / camo mask and gloves back on / camera ready / gun ready …

This lone Tom is slow strutting/gobbling hoping the hen that I am pretending to be will come to him ! It seems like hours as he inches closer .

Then , more gobbles and I slowly turn my head to see other birds enter the field …

Posted Image
Posted Image

Well to make a long story short , I spend the next ½ hour juggling camera / call / and gun ( BTW I’m shooting an old broken down Cooey Single Shot 12 gauge that I repaired and painted after it was going to be thrown out when my father in law passed away in February ) …. I’m sure he would have approved !

The Tom is in at 80 yards / the 50 yards when I take the last picture as he turns away from me so I can move to the gun … keep the gun on him.

Eventually he struts in to 28 yards > I tap my lunch bag with my foot ( it has my box call on top of it ) , the call squeaks one cluck and when he stretches his head to gobble , I drop the hammer and the Cooey barks a 2 Ύ Mag Round of # 6 shot . BBD Baby !

Posted Image
Posted Image

He flaps a bit and next thing I know two other Toms run in to put the boots to him ! , I snap a couple pictures of them and then wave/yell to spook them away !

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What a fun season ! > Much quicker than previous years ! > We were in the right place at the right time > Weather was awesome ( only one rain morning ) > And lucky for me I finished early it the nice weather because as I type the sky has opened up and it is pouring out !

Of course that will knock out my rural internet connection and sure enough stalls my picture download !

Anyway > Good Luck to all that are chasing turkeys ! … Hunt Safe , Have Fun and take lots of pictures to share your hunt adventures with the other forum members !
Page Break …. Into another thread …
Clearing the memory card today … Added some more pictures to the tail end of this thread … Just some misc cool pictures that caught my eye while I was out during this spring season .

A group of young birds on a new property …
Posted Image

Cool to see the moon out on a sunny day !
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is another shot of those two toms that came in to beat up my 2nd bird …

Posted Image

A hiding hen that I bumped into during a walk in …
Posted Image
Posted Image

A couple pictures of a tom crossing the trail at another property during a morning sit …
Posted Image
Posted Image

And a fox den with pups that I came across West of Mt Forest …

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Well starting with a clear memory card now … Looking forward to some clear days after the forecasted rain coming … Should be able to get some unique pictures when all the misc critters try to dry out their dens after the downpour … Good Luck to all in the field !

Edited by R.J., May 23 2017, 12:51 PM.
See Ya. RJ
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
R.J. just an awesome story and great pics. This from a non turkey hunter.
EYES ARE WATCHING

Posted Image GOST
Member Avatar

Congrats on your birds , beautiful pictures , and tfs, sure is a beautiful time to be out there isn't it.
2012 OTB INDIVIDUAL DEER CONTEST CHAMPION
2016 OTB TEAM DEER CONTEST CHAMPION

Posted Image

Posted Image dobber
Member Avatar
Team Ontario Trophy Bucks

great write up, thanks for sharing
condescending twat
Someone who looks down on other people and is beyond arrogant

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · Wild Turkey Forum. · Next Topic »
Add Reply