Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What happened to everyone?
Topic Started: Feb 25 2018, 06:07 PM (374 Views)
Posted Image ricoh
Member Avatar

Where is everyone? Nobody shooting or hunting with traditional bows anymore. Just started shooting my Black Widow again after 5 yrs. Still a beautiful looking and shooting bow. What's everyone else shooting?
Chevy Trucks, Black Widow bows, Sako rifles and my grandkids.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image roughneck
Member Avatar
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Planning to take a bear this spring with my Hoyt Buffalo recurve. A first for me. Just picked up some 50# limbs so i'll be legal for weight. Been practicing in my basement pretty steady throughout the winter and feel confident that i'll be ready by spring.

Posted Image ricoh
Member Avatar

Nice to hear. Not enough traditional shooters anymore.Lots of work to become a good traditional archer.I shoot 53 lbs at 28" and shoot Grizzly stick tapered weight forward arrows and a 200 grain single bevel broadhead. Arrow weight is 600 gr and are Fletched with 5" Orca cut real Turkey right wing feathers. Nice setup. Shoots really well.

G SKINNER
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've always been impressed with you guys that can shoot sticks and strings and make those telephone poles go where you want ... but I'll stick with my bow with training wheels and looks like a tv antenna that shoots skinny sticks . Hoping you do well in all your hunting adventures. Suckers open on Thurs , carp to follow , bear , turkey , deer and moose are on my to do list this year .... I'm also an archer of opportunity so ducks geese and grouse beware ... Good luck and play safe !
Glen
GOOD LUCK AND PLAY SAFE !

Posted Image roughneck
Member Avatar
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
G SKINNER
Feb 26 2018, 09:55 PM
I've always been impressed with you guys that can shoot sticks and strings and make those telephone poles go where you want ... but I'll stick with my bow with training wheels and looks like a tv antenna that shoots skinny sticks . Hoping you do well in all your hunting adventures. Suckers open on Thurs , carp to follow , bear , turkey , deer and moose are on my to do list this year .... I'm also an archer of opportunity so ducks geese and grouse beware ... Good luck and play safe !
Glen
I've only ever shot compound and honestly never touched a trad bow until i bought this used recurve in December. When i first started shooting, i was definitely humbled, to say the least. That said, I set myself an optimistic goal of taking a bear this spring with it. And a 15 yard shot on a bear on a bait seems the best way to wet my feet in tradbow hunting.
ricoh
Feb 26 2018, 12:09 PM
Nice to hear. Not enough traditional shooters anymore.Lots of work to become a good traditional archer.I shoot 53 lbs at 28" and shoot Grizzly stick tapered weight forward arrows and a 200 grain single bevel broadhead. Arrow weight is 600 gr and are Fletched with 5" Orca cut real Turkey right wing feathers. Nice setup. Shoots really well.
That's a great setup. I haven't got my setup ready yet. Right now, I have a set of Easton Axis Traditionals with 4" feathers(plastic) and i'll be using my 50# limbs. I have a pack of German Kinetics Silverflame 125's sitting around, but i think i'd like more weight up front if possible, like your setup.
That said, bare shafts are flying good with 125gr field points, so i'll have to find a set of 200gr field points to tune with before i commit to new broadheads. I'm at 465gr right now with 125 heads.
Edited by roughneck, Feb 27 2018, 12:47 PM.

Posted Image ricoh
Member Avatar

Heading in the right direction roughneck. Check Alaska Bowhunting supply. Top of the line equipment and good guys with great advice.

Ricoh

Posted Image roughneck
Member Avatar
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ricoh
Mar 2 2018, 08:27 AM
Heading in the right direction roughneck. Check Alaska Bowhunting supply. Top of the line equipment and good guys with great advice.

Ricoh
I checked it out as soon as i read your post about your setup. Very cool stuff. I've found that the shipping costs from US places like this are a deal breaker for me. Last time I tried to buy something from '3 Rivers Archery' I put on the brakes when I got to the shipping cost section, and that was just for a 3-under tab.

Posted Image swampbuck
Member Avatar
Another Bowhunter

Would like to try my longbow maybe this year, but it all depends on how much practice I get. Crossbow’s my default.

Posted Image roughneck
Member Avatar
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, ended up using 300grain VPA 3 blade broadheads. Total of 645gr

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Great video and congrats on a nice bear.
EYES ARE WATCHING

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Traditional Archery Hunting/Target Shooting · Next Topic »
Add Reply