Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
hunting groups; break ups
Topic Started: Mar 3 2018, 06:44 AM (296 Views)
Posted Image woodman
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just thinking of number of hunting group break ups over the years, some I,ve belonged to and some not a member of. Our group broke up once because it got too big for available property. This was caused by some members wanting to bring friends along to the hunt. This caused problems for our 8 man group when 12 to 15 would show up to hunt our small 50 to 200 acres properties with out notice. We lost 2 of the original group who left with their friends. A lot of hard feelings when they went behind our backs and tried to lease our properties. This was with our local dogging group.
At our camp up north we had a couple of break ups. One because a couple of members wanted to bring their wives up.The camp had only 2 rooms ,Spam - Please Delete eating area and sleeping room with 5 bunk beds. They had choice to bring trailer in for them or build addition to camp but didn,t want to spend money. We bought out their shares to settle this. We got 2 new members and one was kicked out as he turned out to be an alcoholic and was found to be drunk on stand while running dogs.
I know of a group that kicked a guy out who was caught poaching [jack lighting] on the way to their camp the day before the season opened. Members here probably have had other reasons for group break ups

The spam bit should read Spam - Please Delete and eating area
Spam - Please Delete
will not let me say k same as dining area
Edited by woodman, Mar 3 2018, 06:50 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have been in many deer and moose hunting groups. My first group was with a bunch of good friends in the Ottawa area. We fixed up an old trailer and hunted out of it for quite a few years. I then got a job offer I couldn't refuse, up north and left the group. It took a few years of lone hunting or hunting with a few friends from time to time. I finally joined an organized camp down near Huntsville. We had some good years even if the deer population was down and then the group started to split. We ran it out a couple more years but it was going down hill. Time for a change. It took a couple years but I hooked up with another group of serious hunters hunting NW Ontario. Things went good for quite a few years and then the dynamics changed. Areas we had to our selves turned into a sea of red from non-res. hunters. These areas are hard to get to but they had all the latest equipment and used their quads where we would walk to. We also had quads but parked them well back of are hunting areas but they disregarded them and came in anyway. Then came the bad winters and the influx of wolves and the area stopped producing. Time for a change! Next I joined a group from Manitoulin Island. All private land and written permission required and closer to home. The first year my hunt lasted about an hour. They do not party until later in the one week season. So I was on fire/wood duty. So far two bucks in three years, I missed last year due to illness. Doe tags are also easy to get but I haven't used one yet and it not to say I wouldn't take a nice fat doe. I like venison table fare. I hope to stay with this group for many years.

Now remember, if one group folds and you are a serious and thoughtful hunter with good hunting ethics, another will crop up. When with a group of people talk hunting and you might be surprised at the contacts you can make. I got this one sharing a room at a hockey tournament, but I admit I knew the guy from past tournaments but had no idea he could use another hunter in his group. Talk it up and see what happens.
EYES ARE WATCHING

Posted Image wilebski
Advanced Hunter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
It's tough when families & groups out grow hunting ground...
Also philosophies, where some want mature buck's & other's if it's brown it's down...
Can cause hard feeling's. Not so much an "old timer or youngster."

I just hunt by myself now... Or with my boys when there around...
It make's thing's a lot easier, but i do miss the comradely.
Edited by wilebski, Mar 7 2018, 02:06 PM.

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hunters Campfire · Next Topic »
Add Reply