Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Ontario Trophy Bucks forum. Enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Redemption on lake simcoe; Best season in the last five years
Topic Started: Mar 18 2018, 07:50 AM (198 Views)
Posted Image MJewell
Member Avatar
Central Ontario

Had one of those years on lake Simcoe. Started early we were the first guys out off of Jackson's point this year. Checked the ice on the 30th of December. Found 6 inches closer to shore but it soon dropped to 3" as we got out a 1.5km. Moved west towards the Salvation Army beach an found 7-8" of ice out to a spot we marked the year before.

Opening day found us set in 48' of water with lots of fish graphing just not committing. We moved shallower into 28' an in the next few hours I managed two 4lb whiteys an a 4lb natural trout.

The next time out the ice was a lot better an we were able to get to the spot that we'd fished last season an did great on but this year it was crowded with 8 permanent huts an several pop ups we fished for half the day before deciding to move north to a promising looking spot. An it didn't take long before my buddy iced his first laker of the season. Soon after the whiteys moved in an this became our hotspot of the season anytime we went we would either limit out on whiteys or come close. With the odd laker over 10lbs throwen in.
Edited by MJewell, Mar 18 2018, 07:51 AM.
When the peep is brown; Let the string sing!!!
Hoyt Rampage XT 28" 55lbs, Hoyt CRX32 Blackout 27.5" @ 55lbs
Darkhorse Staff Shooter www.darkhorsearchery.ca
ECO3/LOG6 Staff Shooter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Judge
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have been wanting to try that area for over a year now.
Next year for sure I will be there.
Probably rent a hut since it would be my first trip up there.
Amherstburg Ontario Deer ,Bear, Moose, Turkey, and Coyotes.

Hunting, ice fishing, hunting, woodcarving, did I mention, hunting.

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If you want an ice trip of a life time I suggest you try North Central Guiding up in Geraldton. The owner is a good friend of mine and a hunting and fishing buddy. His success rates are fabulous and he has all the modern technology and heated huts. Both pop ups and a stationary one that sleeps four. He is big, burly and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and a pretty good cook to boot. He specializes in walleye and lake trout (out of the same hole). Walleyes early and lake trout later. He also knows a lake the produces large splake ( a 20" is a small one). His father is a good friend of mine and when he gets back from his yearly trip for fishing it just blows me away. Check out his web site if you are interested. Sorry if this is in the wrong category and be free to move it.
EYES ARE WATCHING

Posted Image MJewell
Member Avatar
Central Ontario

Judge donít worry about renting a hut if Iím available Iíll put you on fish. I donít mine taking guys from distance out as they arenít going to likely be out enough to bother my spots.
Opening day
Posted Image

A week later
Posted Image

My daughters first whitey
Posted Image

Group of four guys landed 15 whiteys over the course of 4 hours kept our limits
Posted Image

Last day out
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by MJewell, Mar 18 2018, 07:55 PM.
When the peep is brown; Let the string sing!!!
Hoyt Rampage XT 28" 55lbs, Hoyt CRX32 Blackout 27.5" @ 55lbs
Darkhorse Staff Shooter www.darkhorsearchery.ca
ECO3/LOG6 Staff Shooter

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yup, you know the spots and have the know how to catching them. You should try the Wawa ice fishing derby they have big prizes (truck, snowmobile, quad, boat and motor etc.). For both white fish and lake trout.
EYES ARE WATCHING

Posted Image dobber
Member Avatar
Team Ontario Trophy Bucks

i miss living right there by Simcoe, was always a good winter hobby and some good eating fish, looks like you did alright this year Matt
condescending twat
Someone who looks down on other people and is beyond arrogant

Judge
Member Avatar
Regular
[ *  *  *  * ]
Be careful I just might take you up on that offer.
Amherstburg Ontario Deer ,Bear, Moose, Turkey, and Coyotes.

Hunting, ice fishing, hunting, woodcarving, did I mention, hunting.

Posted Image forkhorn

Way to go. Nice haul. I love ice fishing whitefish and the fight good. Have gone in awhile but we used to make fish cakes when we got a bunch. :cheers:
Posted Image

Posted Image 4ST EYES
Member Avatar
4ST EYES
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whitefish my favorite for a fish fry (except for walleye and perch).
EYES ARE WATCHING

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fisherman's Campfire · Next Topic »
Add Reply