Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Third Moon. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Unpopular gaming opinions
Topic Started: May 2 2017, 04:37 PM (162 Views)
Dire 51
Member Avatar
I always leave when the talk gets philosophical.
Edgecrusher
- Sega of America may have had to keep the Genesis going here after the Mega Drive tanked in Japan, but most, if not all, of the games they released were absolute dumpster fires: Kid Chameleon, Greendog the Beached Surfer Dude, Ecco the Dolphin, Vectorman, Comix Zone, Sonic Spinball, Chakan the Forever Man - fuck all those games (and any sequels they may have spawned). In fact, after 1993, their library was mainly trash, aside from the occasional decent title here and there.

- Donkey Kong Country and its sequels are some of the most overrated games ever released. They're sub-standard platformers that got free passes because of their "amazing" graphics (in essence, the videogame versions of the movie Avatar). About the only good thing about any of those games is the music.

- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and the DKC games popularized the horrible "collect everything" trend in videogames that continues to this day. It sucks and I really wish those games had never been released.

- The majority of the Super NES's library is absolute garbage. I don't care about the RPGs or sports games, I don't play those, so I'm not qualified to judge them. But man, there are a ton of garbage platformers and fighting games for it. The Super NES is also not the end-all, be-all of gaming. It is not the greatest console ever made. It's not even the greatest 16-bit console ever made. It does have some great games, to be sure - but the crap far outweighs the greats.

- All the Sonic the Hedgehog games are boring as fuck.

- Super Mario Bros. 3 is not the greatest NES platformer of all time, it's just the most popular. Games like Kirby's Adventure and Gimmick! are far superior.

- Every Mega Man game after Mega Man 2 was a huge letdown.

- Not a fan of the N64. There were maybe five games I actually liked for it.

- First person shooters suck ass. Except Zero Tolerance for the Genesis, apparently.

That's all for now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crazy the Clown
Member Avatar
Maverick Hunter Extraordinaire
Mooninites
I have a couple unpopular gaming opinions, too.

-The Harvest Moon series is overrated. I mean, what is so good about a game where you do farm work? If I wanted to chop wood and plow fields, I'd work at a real-life farm. And I've been told about how farm-tending is constant hard-ass work. Aside from electricity, they're almost Amish. (Not a shot at our Mennonite neighbors, but that's just not the life for me.) Why Natsume incorporated that into a game is anyone's guess.

-Final Fight Streetwise is not that bad of a game. Sure, the camera angles take a little getting used to, but they're not that big a deal.

That's all I have for the time being.

Scion238
Member Avatar
Demiurge of Earth Prime
Opus Dei
- The fifth generation of consoles should not have existed. No PS1, no Saturn, no N64. They should've seen the writing on the wall at the end of the fourth, with the CD-i and the 3DO and just waited for the tech to mature and hardware prices to come down. Then ALL of those games on those consoles should've been made on PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube hardware. Seriously, 95% of the fifth console generation's titles were overreaching their technical capabilities (no, blocky low-polygon counts are NOT more realistic) and only gave us glimmers of what could've been, with the best games coming later in the console's life. FF7, I'm looking at you. Chrono Cross is way better at a seamless gaming experience, but holy crap, you don't even have to go outside of a single gaming franchise. Just check out Legacy of Kain. The first game is a top-down, sprite-based, Zelda-style... thing; Soul Reaver has to pull the fog trick out to keep its no-load-times stunt going; and then the series doesn't actually legitimately shine until Soul Reaver 2... on the PS2.

So yeah, screw the whole fifth generation. Completely.

- Sports games are horrible. Go outside. Play it for real. (Unless it's Jaleco's Hoops or NBA Street or something ridiculous and thus, fun.)

- Military sim FPSes need to remain purely a military training exercise.

- Gainax endings. Hugely influential on video games. Never forget this travesty. Never look back, either.

- Spider-Man has never had a decent video game made. Ever. No, Rob, not even that one from Japan with the X-Men. He's cursed. No, seriously. They're all crap. They all suck. They always will. Sad, but true.

- Same goes for Superman. Well, except for that Taito arcade jam they've never been able to replicate the magic of, and that one gets sinned for not having any actual, by-god Superman villains in it.

- Mortal Kombat never needed to happen and is a blight on humanity. It's a little-known fact that intelligent alien life tried to make diplomatic contact with us back in the mid-90's. The peace talks fell through when they saw Mortal Kombat running rampant in our arcades. On their way out the door, they said, and I quote, "Any species capable of producing something this foul deserves to go the way of the dodo." (SEE ALSO: Doom.)

- Keiji Inafune is the Tim Burton of videogames. He's a one-trick pony who somehow manages to get his entire fanbase to adore his body of work and demand more of the same, and even complain that they're being discriminated against when the games get cancelled by Capcom. They're not. He's not the video game Jesus. He's barely the video game Roland Emmerich. Stop fawning over him. (See also: Hideo Kojima. Good grief, if I read one more pretentious Kojima article on Glixel, fawning over cinema...)

- Speaking of, Capcom. Capcom and Konami. Guys. GUYS. Y U NO LIKE MONEY? Capcom's showing some signs of catching on, with MvC Infinite, but still.

- Metal Gear Solid shoulda stopped at Solid. No MGS2. No MGS3, or 4, or Ac!d, or whatever the one was with Kiefer Sutherland. Solid was magic. Let it alone. Leave it be. Go about your business. Move along.

- Video game fans need to be fans of gaming mechanics and not franchises that crap all over the mechanics that made them love the franchises to begin with. There, I said it. It's our fault. We get distracted by shiny objects. We lose sight of why we loved the first game, and we think we like the characters instead. We don't. We like playing the game. We need to think that way.

There. I'm done now.

Dire 51
Member Avatar
Edgecrusher
Scion238,Jul 26 2017
10:55 AM
- Spider-Man has never had a decent video game made. Ever. No, Rob, not even that one from Japan with the X-Men. He's cursed. No, seriously. They're all crap. They all suck. They always will. Sad, but true.

You've confused Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge (which was a steaming turd of a game that was never released in Japan) with The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes (which never left Japan, but was great). The Sega arcade game, which was never ported to anything, was pretty good too.

Quote:

- Same goes for Superman. Well, except for that Taito arcade jam they've never been able to replicate the magic of, and that one gets sinned for not having any actual, by-god Superman villains in it.

I know you're not an Atari guy (or anything pre-crash, really), but both Superman and Spider-Man for the 2600 were really well done, especially given what the programmers had to work with. Superman in particular was an ambitious game like nothing that had ever been seen prior, and it worked. Spider-Man was more like a simplified Crazy Climber, but what's wrong with that?

Quote:

So yeah, screw the whole fifth generation. Completely.

So where does that leave bonafide classic fifth generation 2D games like Castlevania: SotN and Gradius Gaiden?

Scion238
Member Avatar
Demiurge of Earth Prime
Opus Dei
Oh, we're arguing with each other's unpopular gaming opinions now? ;)

Dire 51
Member Avatar
Edgecrusher
We... could be. :smug

Scion238
Member Avatar
Demiurge of Earth Prime
Opus Dei
Pass.

Dire 51
Member Avatar
Edgecrusher
I never said we definitely were, I just said we could be.

That said, I had to correct you on that one little thing: Spider-Man and the X-Men was never released in Japan.

Vlygar
Member Avatar

Terror Mask
Good games;
Final Fight Streetwise
Earache Extreme Metal Racing
Resident Evil Dead Aim

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free