Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Third Moon. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Stuck in a rut and need to get out
Topic Started: Aug 7 2017, 12:41 AM (158 Views)
Dire 51
Member Avatar
I always leave when the talk gets philosophical.
Edgecrusher
I hate this.

Life has settled into a rather dull and boring routine for me, consisting mainly of work and driving places. I'm sick of my job and would very much like to find something closer to where I live that doesn't have me working twelve hour weekends until the end of time.

I've also given a lot of consideration to writing. At this point, I'm known in retrogaming circles as a writer. Reviews, interviews and personal stories seem to be how my writing is seen, in that order. And to be honest, I don't want to be stuck writing about retrogaming for the rest of my life. I want to go back to writing fiction.

Anyway, that's where I stand right now.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grey Fox
Member Avatar
...?
H-K (Hunter-Killer)
Yeah, me too. It's hard coming up with strategies for seriously breaking out of it when most of your time is spent managing to keep your head above water.

I don't have any real complaints about my job except it's been very unreliable this year. It's had me stuck in a kind of holding pattern where I can't really afford to break from the old routine if I want keep my income stable. When it hopefully goes back to normal, I'm going to try and push myself to find something more fulfilling than this SSDD drudgery... It kind of is wearing me down now.

I want to be free of this gloominess. The side effect of, time seems to go into warp drive. I've been thinking about it alot today. Everything is just passing by so fast with only the occasional event to break up the monotony when you get settled into a rut like this. It's kind of scary how that happens, really.

Rob, have you ever thought about collaborating by writing on a open source gaming project? I've come across a few recently that, mechanically are very entertaining, but they have a serious lack of plot for NPC characters beyond rudimentary efforts from people early on. The most recent one I've gotten into is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Something to consider, maybe?

Dire 51
Member Avatar
Edgecrusher
Grey Fox,Aug 7 2017
06:54 PM
I want to be free of this gloominess. The side effect of, time seems to go into warp drive. I've been thinking about it alot today. Everything is just passing by so fast with only the occasional event to break up the monotony when you get settled into a rut like this. It's kind of scary how that happens, really.

You hit the nail on the head here. That's exactly how I feel.

Quote:

Rob, have you ever thought about collaborating by writing on a open source gaming project? I've come across a few recently that, mechanically are very entertaining, but they have a serious lack of plot for NPC characters beyond rudimentary efforts from people early on. The most recent one I've gotten into is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Something to consider, maybe?

I don't know. What do they pay?

Grey Fox
Member Avatar
...?
H-K (Hunter-Killer)
Dire 51,Aug 9 2017
02:41 PM
You hit the nail on the head here. That's exactly how I feel.

Perhaps this feeling is mostly from getting older, something that just happens when you pass Young Adulthood, but it's got to be affected by not having something outside the norm or the usual things to look forward to week in week out. Past time to change things up. Because this sucks ass.

Quote:

I don't know. What do they pay?

:lol It'll expand your portfolio? Valuable experience? What's the usual BS people say when there's potentially no money in it at all? :p

Things like that have just had me thinking, lately. Alot of opportunities these days to do something like Derek Paxton if you enjoy the process. He took his D&D campaign he developed since he must of been pretty young with all its rich background and characters and recreated the world it takes place in for people to explore in a mod of another game. It's been a long time since he finished it, but alot of people still come back to it just to enjoy the lore of his world, and he still posts stories developing it to this day. He found his writers muse that way, combining things he enjoyed. Maybe you can find something similar?

Dire 51
Member Avatar
Edgecrusher
Grey Fox,Aug 12 2017
09:54 PM
Perhaps this feeling is mostly from getting older, something that just happens when you pass Young Adulthood, but it's got to be affected by not having something outside the norm or the usual things to look forward to week in week out. Past time to change things up. Because this sucks ass.

Yes it does.

Quote:

:lol It'll expand your portfolio? Valuable experience? What's the usual BS people say when there's potentially no money in it at all? :p

Going to pass, then. I'm done doing things for "exposure." Pay me, or forget it. Don't waste my time. That's where I stand these days.

Quote:

Things like that have just had me thinking, lately. Alot of opportunities these days to do something like Derek Paxton if you enjoy the process. He took his D&D campaign he developed since he must of been pretty young with all its rich background and characters and recreated the world it takes place in for people to explore in a mod of another game. It's been a long time since he finished it, but alot of people still come back to it just to enjoy the lore of his world, and he still posts stories developing it to this day. He found his writers muse that way, combining things he enjoyed. Maybe you can find something similar?

Not the way he did it. I don't mod, program or anything like that. I still think that a full novel, or series of books, would be the best way to get my creations out there.

« Previous Topic · The Grim Reaper's Whorehouse · Next Topic »
Add Reply