Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Whip Ass Gaming Forums!

You're currently viewing the forums as a guest. The only limitation on guests, here at WAG Forums, is that you simply cannot contribute posts/pics/whatever. You can view all forums, all pics, all member profiles, everything. If you're just here to lurk, feel free continuing to do so...there is no reason to sign up for an account. However, if you would like to contribute then go ahead and start the registration process!

Join our community!

NOTE: I have no idea why the board defaults to centering everything when you're lurking/not logged in. Once logged in, it aligns everything to the left(as it should be).

If you're already a member...log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Total Eclipse comparison page up
Topic Started: Jan 7 2008, 12:54 PM (379 Views)
sheath
Member Avatar
I have been, and remain, non-sequitur
I have just finished a comparison page between Total Eclipse and Total Eclipse Turbo on 3DO and PS1. The following page has mouse over comparisons, gameplay movies and a Comparison movie of both versions of the game, which demonstrate the deficiencies of the PS1 version (if not the hardware itself).

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/TotalEclipseComp.htm

or:

http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/ -> Comparisons -> Sega CD-3DO-Jag-32X -> Total Eclipse Comparison page.

"Both versions of the game run at the same resolutions and framerates, even though the PS1 version came out two full years later on supposedly much more powerful 3D hardware. Adding insult to injury, the PS1 version has a shorter draw distance and far degraded texture quality in relation to the 3DO original. Crystal Dynamics was no slouch of a game designer at the time and considering the severe lack of PS1 games with comparable texture map quality to 3D Saturn and 3DO titles makes this comparison point to one thing. The PS1 was not capable of texture mapping at the color count and resolution of hardware that was released two years before it."
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Buy the games of yore before they are no more
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
I remember the Saturn version of the game(and most of the early 3DO ports to the Saturn) looking pretty horrible, but not that much different than the PSX versions. Have you taken a look at Total Eclipse on the Saturn yet, just to see if it looks any better than the PSX version? It's been years since I've seen any of them, but the one thing I do remember is that Star Fighter on the PSX looked better than the Saturn version(not sure if they looked better than the 3DO original or not).

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Star Fighter was flat out unfinished on the Saturn. I won't even compare that one because the game was released with a fatal glitch. If you flew into space, there was no space but a gray mass. Then, you could never find the planet's surface again through the fog. I'm sure that the 3DO version doesn't do this, and the PS1 version definitely didn't. As for Total Eclipse, I haven't seen it recently for Saturn, I'll have to find it.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Oh shit, yeah, I remember reading about that back in the day. Why they didn't program in some sort of invisible wall that pushed you back down, I'll never figure out.

One of the 3DO ports I always wanted to try was that 4X4 racing game(in space). What's it called again?

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Erm, Off World Interceptor. I think it has "extreme" tacked on on the Saturn and PS1 iterations. That'll make a great comparison page as it looks just like the 32X Scavenger demo.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hehehe, I was going to mention that in my above post...and it's a lot of the reason why I want to try it out. ;)

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
I do to. I loved Amok (which that demo turned into) and I'd like to see how well Off Road Interceptor turned out with similar graphics design. On a side note, Total Eclipse never came out on Saturn, so TE Turbo is the only "next gen" comparison to make. Odd that it is so much better on the 3DO if the 3DO was so underpowered.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Hmmmmm, I could have sworn Total Eclipse came out on the Saturn, but I guess I was wrong. I still need to try Amok, have yet to ever see it in action.

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

sheath
Member Avatar
Belpowerslave
Jan 16 2008, 04:32 PM
Hmmmmm, I could have sworn Total Eclipse came out on the Saturn, but I guess I was wrong. I still need to try Amok, have yet to ever see it in action.

Bel

I have movie files of it on my site under the Pictures section, in case you haven't seen it already.
www.gamepilgrimage.com
Posted Image

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Am downloading now!

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

Belpowerslave
Member Avatar
Administrator
Interesting....on two accounts: A) I hadn't even seen this game in motion and B) it wasn't the game I was thinking about. I guess I was thinking about that "Scorcher" game, that's the one I am really interested in seeing. I hear it's quite hip.

Still, AMOK definitely looks good, I'll have to pick that up at some point. Thanks for the videos!

Bel
Whip Ass Gaming

« Previous Topic · 3DO-My-God! · Next Topic »
Add Reply